Etiquette for tailer piles

indy1725

Sep 30, 2008
Hey, all:

I'll start by saying I'm very new at this, but have long been interested in the romantic idea of the gold prospector. I've been reading a few books, and looking at some maps, and I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience searching in tailer piles in Oregon, or elsewhere. I'm curious to give my metal detector a workout and see what I can find, but I don't know what the proper etiquette is for it.

There are a few mines (i think one of them may still be active) out in the Baker City area that I'm thinking of trying, but I don't know if I need to get permission to look through the castoffs, and if it's an abandoned mine, who should I ask? Any help anybody could give me would be appreciated. Thanks!

surfkid123

Jun 13, 2008
wow you really are new to this, that part about being romantic - walking though poison oak all the time ,mosquitoes hovering looking for a spot to land,on your hands and knees digging in the dirt and mud . Just kidding ,I guess all that stuff wouldn't`t be so bad if I could find something >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread