Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After spending much of the summer hunting a few freshwater beaches in dry sand and down to the water line, I decided to get my feet wet. If for no other reason just to be able to cool off and stay out longer. I have found 2 rings in three outings on one beach in particular. What I desired was a Fisher CZ20 but I would never be able to justify the cost to my wife who pretty much controls the purse strings. I got wind of the Cobra Beach Magnet from a couple of guys on the forum. It is approximately 1/3 the cost of the CZ20. Since I am only able to get out to the beach about a dozen times during the summer, I didn't have much to lose at $350.00 a pop.
First off the machine is Chinese made which puts one strike against it in my book already! But since everyone knows the children in China are starving, eating bark off of trees, and etc. as my Mom use to say, I suppose I can live with that. Maybe this purchase will buy 'em some french fries or something? Anyway, when it arrived I unboxed it and was able to assemble it within about 30 seconds without looking at the instruction manuel. The power cord is about twice the length it needs to be, perhaps so the power unit can be removed and worn on the belt or on the body in some manner? However, the power unit has no fastners or slots with which to clip it to a belt or whatever. You would have to carry it in a satchel or apron of some sort unless you could rig up some type of harness. The power cord and water proof earphones are permanently attached to the power unit. They are pluged in, then secured by plastic bolts and nuts which appear to be epoxied to the power unit. There is a caution in the manual that tells you not to try to remove them. It came with a 10" coil which cannot be removed and changed out for a different size coil. The center coil winding is about 5" in diameter and I can see why pinpointing would be a little difficult as Jake Phelps reported. The control box is quite large but the face and knobs are easy to read. It has 3 controls knobs, the on/off/volume, Depth (sensitivity) and a trash elimination (discrimination) knob. There are preset factory recommendatin settings indicated with a yellow triangle on each knob.
In hefting the machine I found it to be quite heavy a little over 4 pounds. It was end heavy with the 10" coil and not very well balanced causing it to be fatigueing to swing on dry land. Jake tells me that it is fairly easy to swing in the water and that the power unit is buoyant and helps hold the detector upright with the coil down. That's desirable for underwater work. It did not come with batteries and uses 8 AA alkaline batteries. Being in the habit of picking up an 8 pack of batteries at Wally World everytime I go down there, I had plenty of batteries on hand. The battery compartment cover has two stainless steel screws holding it in place and a flat tip screwdriver is needed to open and resecure it. It employs a flat plastic gasket to make it water tight. So, I loaded the battery compartment and gathered some coins and rings and yes, even a puill tab to static test it out in the yard. The factory recommended settings seem to work OK on dry land except I had to turn up the volume a couple of clicks due to my poor hearing. The detector is a VLF unit that operates on one frequency, 12.5 mhz according to the manual. It is also a single tone unit so essentially you are operating in an all metal mode full time. The tone is more of a chirp than a buzz or at least that's how it sounds to me. It requires that the coil be moving in order to identify a target. There is no pinpoint feature and you just have to X the target and get as close as you can. It had no trouble putting out a good clear chirp on clad quarters, dimes and pennies. Like most detectors, a pull tab and a nickel sound the same to me and their signal was much weaker than the other coins. I was able to discriminate out the pull tab but it also tuned out the nickels. I next tried 4 different size and composition rings, a 10k, a couple of 14ks and one that I assume is plated as it has no karat stamp, rather has three exes like so, xxx, which means......? It picked all four up equally as well and chirped out loud and clear. I didn't try silver but I'm sure it will sound off accordingly. I plan to go out first thing in the morning and test it in the water at one of the beaches. I am use to a detector with a full display lcd screen and this is going to take some getting use to. Those of you that prefer a unit without the lcd display and the bells and whistles will get along quite well with it. Also there is nothing to indicate the depth of the submerged target. If you wish to operate the detector without sound there is a light that is easily seen when a target is identified. The operating manual has been put together by Kellyco and is lacking in detail to say the least. Depending on how it works in the water tomorrow it should suffice as an entry level shallow water detector. If I get addicted to water detecting I will of course be moving up to a more sophisticated detector next year. I will report on how we get along in the water after I get back tomorrow evening. JIMi

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim,

have a good time in the water at the beach tomorrow; don't forget your life jacket.

have a good un....................
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Cant wait to see how it works ;)

I just crank the volume to the max and wear the earphones around my neck. The headphone are completely waterproof(I jumped off of a dock into the lake and they still work ;D)

I need to find someway to make a scoop thoguh...I only have 15 dollars left and scoops are alot of $ :-\

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made one out of PVC pipe and a broom handle. If it works I'll tell you how to do it. All you need is a few handtools that most have around the house or your Dad will have them. Going out this morning and will get back to you when I get back. JIM

F

Floater

As usual Jimmi we await your return from the Depths of the great waterways of the Oklahoma Territory. :P As a matter of fact I'm so excited about this report I have decided to work all day and stay near my computer. ::) My bosses are extremely pleased with this decision and they have even extended a thank you to you as well Jim, and they wish you the best of luck today. ;D Go get em Tiger!
HH

F

Floater

omnicognic said:
I have also decided to stay at the computer all day, but my wife and family do not share the same enthusiasm as Floaters boss.....

ROFLMAO Jim, I do hope this is a good report. LOL :D

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? Just got back from the beach and testing the Cobra detector.? It's no good!? I didn't detect one snake all morning! ;D (Just for you Floater)!? Actually the Cobra did ok, just ok, nothing? spectacular as I expected.? On dry and wet sand it did as good as any detector I have used as far as detecting targets.? It prooved itself by immediately finding 5 or 6 pull tabs! It took a while using trial and error until I was able to adjust the discrimination knob just enough to where a pull tab could barely be heard but a coin still came across loud and clear.? A little difficult to pinpoint as Jake has stated due to the large size of the center coil winding. It has no pinpoint feature so there's a lot of room for error. I did ok by exing the targets and found this to be minor point of contention.? In water up to knee deep It also did ok.? Any deeper and because of the murky water mostly I had a problem scooping up the target.? I found out my homemade scoop is not very good so I guess I'll have to go ahead and spend a few bucks for a commercial model and be done with it.? I never ventured out past waist deep as I didn't have my swim mask and snorkel.? The old Cimmaron River channel is notorious for drop offs and I could just see myself getting drowned just to save that darn detector!? Being alone I didn't get too adventuresome and only stayed about an hour and a half.? All total I picked up two dimes and six pennies all clad, a GM automobile key, a Master padlock key, mucho pull tabs and several globs of melted aluminum.? I think these were melted soda and beer cans from previous bonfires.? One of the pennies is cookie money but I can tell what it is by size.? Coins found here appear much like the ones in the ocean if they are under ground any length of time due to the high salinity of the lake.
? ?I am use to a detector with an LCD readout and I miss it while using the Cobra.? I really miss not having any idea of the depth of the target.? Most everything I found and recovered was shallow, but I dug a couple of "dry" holes where I feel the target was deeper but I gave up at about six inches.? I really can't say what kind of depth I am getting.? The deepest recovered target was about 4".? I also would prefer more than one tone to indicate a target thereby having some indication of what the target might be.? I did like the light indicator and found it quite readable even in direct sunlight.? The duration of the time the light remained? lit gave me some indication of how strong the target signal was. I could pretty well distinguish between a puill tab and a coin by watching the light.?
? ?If I needed to describe the Cobra Beach Magnet in one word it would be "adequate".? It is simply a no frills water detector.? I will add more as I become more familiar with the detector.? ?JIM

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Glad it worked out jim ;D I noticed that the light was good for the same things too. you did better than i did with it the first time ;)
I have never had the luxury of using depth indicators and lcd stuff, the tracker 4 just has a discriimntion knob, sesitivity knob, and no volume lol. If i were to describe it with a few words i would say the cobra is a "tracker 4 for the water". O and btw parts of the detector float, so i dont think you could loose it, specially me cause I put the headphones around my neck :D

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim,

good report, as usual.

Two dimes, six pennies first time out with a new detector sounds O.K. to me. Should even improve as you get to know it better. Since you don't think you will be using it all that often, seems to be adequate for your needs, no need dumping a bunch of money for something you will not use that often.

If nothing else, you have another instrument to add in your bag of tricks; ready for any situation.

Do keep us posted when you use it again.

The big question; did you have a good time?

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

F

Floater

Well
Jim you did Great and as expected the Flaw today was not the detector but the digging tool. I knew when you built yours it was going to be touch and go with it. I use a heavy duty aluminum sifter digger from RTD here and I put a lot of pressure on it digging in the ocean . Wet compacted sand is easy only because there are no large rocks most of the time but it is compacted. I jam my foot on the end of my basket to push down to a depth of 10 to 12 inches before I scoop up. This also weighs about 20 pounds with wet sand in it. The pinpoint wont bother you as much also when you have a 6 inch sand scoop on a 40 inch pole. If its not there on the first scoop you will know in a hurry and go for the second. All in all it sounds like a good day and you just need the right tool for the job. Thanks again and good luck. HH

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Unfortunately i dont think ill be scuba diving anytime soon :-\ But that would be awesome to do....Its just so much money though :-[

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I forgot to mention, I found a cute little pair of little girls sunglasses. They have plastic frames with butterflies all over them and also has those expensive lenses that get darker in the sun. The metal hinges or the wire in the frames gave off a very weak signal and I looked down and found one ear sticking up out of the sand. Last time I saw them they were in my granddaughter's chubby little hands. Every time I go out and she comes over she always asks if I found anything for her. I've found lots of little toys and things and she always enjoys them. That makes all that sweat equity worth while! JIM

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Jim If you need a scoop check with Zeek. I got two of his scoops a couple of weeks back and they work very well. They are a lot cheaper than you can get them even on Ebay. I give Zeeks scoops a A+ for the price they are very well made.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've already checked with him and just haven't made up my mind which one I want yet! JIM

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
Good report Jimi, I should have really done that with the sand shark as well, so newb water detectors have more info. Good luck with it, hopefully it will pay for a CZ20 or similar with a couple ring finds ;)

-Mike

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I knew practically nothing about sand/water hunting I gained some ensight last week.. Met up with another detectorist at a beach who had a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II. He let me take a few swings with it and I was impressed. I had the Cobra with me and he was going over an area I had already covered. He picked up a couple pieces of nice jewelry that I had missed! I sent the Cobra back and traded it in on a Sea Hunter! Didn't take much for me to make up my mind after seeing a live demo! End of story! JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions