Wilson relic & coin

Arthur-Canada

Apr 4, 2007
Re: Wilson relic & coin

An amazing machine that gets more so every time I use it. I have a R & C II (two models lower than yours) and I use it almost exclusively for farm field hunting. I love it because it requires very little movement to signal a target. This is good for me because quite often the fields are full of stubble after harvest and it would be almost impossible to swing a coil close to the ground. It will often false on large iron, but with practice you start to learn the slight differences in the length of the beep. Most times if you continue to swing the coil over the false target the signal will get worse or disappear completely. When it is a good conductive target the beep is so intense that the box actually vibrates.

I knew it was a deep machine, but I got to know even better just a few days ago. A friend was out with me in a field with his new Explorer E-Trac and got a good signal that was down about 9 inch (confirmed after he dug it). I went over and tried it with my Wilson and it hit hard all directions. After he dug it we discovered it was only a small flat button about 3/8" diameter...I was pumped! About two feet later he gets another signal and calls me over. I check it as well and it gives me a very clipped beep signal. He digs it up and it turns out to be a rusty nail...my Wilson was right!!

Although I miss the no threshold on this machine, which would help me know when I'm over the iron field of an old homestead, it will most times chirp a bit in these areas to let me know there is a lot of iron bits around and I should slow down. Give it some time and practice and you will learn to love this machine. If it sounds too much for you, let me know and I have a buyer for that machine any time you are ready to sell!!

Cheers.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

...................I have an R&CII also................very deep detector and lite weight! ............Joe

OP
OP
D

dirtdiver

Oct 30, 2007

Arthur, thanks for info. I took the Wilson to a near by park today to get a little more time with this machine.
It seems to be a slower sweep speed than i am used to with my tesoro. The person i bought it from said that you could turn the disc. all the way up and not lose any depth and i thank he was right because i did turn it up and still got a dime at about 7 inches. Still hard for me to get used to not having tid.

HH Dirtdiver

Arthur-Canada

Apr 4, 2007

Here are some pitures of my Wilson R & C with the modification I did on it. I can swing it all day like nobody's business. I also installed a switch that turns disc off completely in the off position. I use it when I'm quickly trying to establish if I am in an iron infested area and need to slow down, or to find the iron field when looking for old homesteads in the middle of farm fields.

Attachments

• p2010006.jpg
    p2010006.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 829
  • p2010007.jpg
    p2010007.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 645
  • p2010008.jpg
    p2010008.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 650

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

.............I recently sold my R&C 2................I miss it already.................I just bought a Coin Select to replace it!!.........................It has not arrived yet so I guess that I'm in Limbow!! Can any one compare a R&C 2 to a R&C 4 or to a Coin Select?? Thanks ....Joe

OP
OP
D

dirtdiver

Oct 30, 2007

First off Joe, what made you decide to sell your R&C II.
I gotta tell you i bought my R&C IV last year. It was not only my first Wilson detector, but also my first non tid unit.
It was a little awkward at first, but now i find myself grabbing the Wilson instead of my tid machines.
I have heard some good things about the Coinselect.
Hope you enjoy it. Please keep us posted on its performance.

HH Dirtdiver

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

..............Well..........the old saying............" you don't miss her .....till she's gone "..............is true!!...........Basicly I have too many detectors and the Wilson R&C2 wound up just sitting ........collecting dust!!............I think that the only thing that really bothered me about the Wilson was the silent search...................I have used detectors with manual-set thresholds for almost 40 years!!...............Selling it really got me thinking about all of the Wilson's that I have or wanted ..............always wanted the ATD....the Coin Select......and the GBD .........Well I got the GBD a while back..........although it is good..........it does not have the power of the later Wilson's.....................Well like i said in another post .......I couldn't have been Non-Wilson for more than 2 weeks before......I found a great deal on a Coin Select.................As soon as I get it I will post some pic's of the detector plus some finds!!..............Also doing all of this made me reflect that too many detectors,..............may be a bad thing!! I think that I will thin out the herd and try to get down to about 5 really hard core machines.........I like the Wilson's and the Minelab's and the A&HPro-2............I think that I will just concentrate on these and my attention will be more focused.......instead of using a different metal detector every time that I go out!!...........LOL..........Joe

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe,

Are there any DD coils that work on the Wilson R&C and Coin select that you know of?

OP
OP
D

dirtdiver

Oct 30, 2007

I'm almost positive there are no DD coils for the R&C, in fact i don't believe there are any coils except the original 7"& half" coil.
Maybe Arthur will chime in on this, he seems to know allot about the Wilsons.
If you come across any other than the original please post it, because i would be interested to know.

Dirtdiver

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

..................No DD coils that I know of.................Way back when the R&C was a new series....(1990?).........Paul said that they made some 12 inch coils...............not many was bought so Paul stopped making them....................I tried a Whites 11 inch coil off a 4900 on the R&C2....it worked but did not seem to be any better than the 7.5 inch Wilson coil................ The current Coin Select has a 9.5 and a 7.5 inch coil available .......not sure if they are compatible with the R&C series??........................that is about all that I know.................on some of the modification forums...........some diehards make their own coils.....usually this is a size that is not available from the manufacturer!!.............Joe

Arthur-Canada

Apr 4, 2007
..................No DD coils that I know of.................Way back when the R&C was a new series....(1990?).........Paul said that they made some 12 inch coils...............not many was bought so Paul stopped making them....................I tried a Whites 11 inch coil off a 4900 on the R&C2....it worked but did not seem to be any better than the 7.5 inch Wilson coil................ The current Coin Select has a 9.5 and a 7.5 inch coil available .......not sure if they are compatible with the R&C series??........................that is about all that I know.................on some of the modification forums...........some diehards make their own coils.....usually this is a size that is not available from the manufacturer!!.............Joe

Update!:

I have a Wilson Coin Select now for a couple of years and both coils from it work on my Relic and Coin ll, but not as well as the original RCll coil. In fact my original RCll detector is slightly better on separation and depth than the Coin Select.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread