Wilson Coin Select

O

oregondirt

Not a very well known detector but what a great coin machine. I have had one now about 1 year and compared to the other machines I own , which are a Tesoro Eldorado, Minelab Musky, the Wilson is a keeper!.
It is a deep machine! I have pulled quarters from wet sand at 10+ inches. It is very easy to operate with only 2 knobs. Great disc. also. It is very quiet running, not alot chripin' and buzzing.
They have been around for quite awhile. They used to be sold under the name as Wilson-Neuman. They are made in Indiana. Thats all folks! ;D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
oregondirt said:
Not a very well known detector but what a great coin machine. I have had one now about 1 year and compared to the other machines I own , which are a Tesoro Eldorado, Minelab Musky, the Wilson is a keeper!.
It is a deep machine! I have pulled quarters from wet sand at 10+ inches. It is very easy to operate with only 2 knobs. Great disc. also. It is very quiet running, not alot chripin' and buzzing.
They have been around for quite awhile. They used to be sold under the name as Wilson-Neuman. They are made in Indiana. Thats all folks!? ;D

I just happened to notice your post. Man, you should be getting a ton of comments here...hummm?

Anyway, I didn't know this Wilson brand was the same company who made the old Wilson-Neumans back in the early 80's. I once owned a Wilson GBD II (I think that was what they called it). I also owned many of the other models. I recall one time I dug about 10 Indian head pennies and other coins in one small area. I had the detector set on all metal mode. The coins were from 7 to 9 inches deep (that was back in 1983). My WN could beat my Fisher 1260-X in all-metal mode by about 3 inches (coins). But the Fisher was much faster and got more depth in discrimination mode. Therefore I found 5 times more with the Fisher.

Yes, the Neumans got extremely poor depth in discrimination mode and tended to break down easily. As I already mentioned, I owned several and they all had serious electronic problems. At the time I couldn't find anyone to repair them locally so I almost gave them away.

So, tell us more about the new Wilsons! When did the company start making detectors again? Are the new machines dependable? Do you still like your detector? Tell all.

Thanks

Zeb

OP
OP
O

oregondirt

I'm not sure when the Coin Select came out. The first time I saw them was in a ad from Kellyco and then one showed up on Ebay so I bought it to try it out and that was last year.
The factory is located in Indiana. I don't know how big they are, I know they don't have a web site that I can find.
It is a simple machine to operate and does go deep. ;D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
oregondirt said:
I'm not sure when the Coin Select came out. The first time I saw them was in a ad from Kellyco and then one showed up on Ebay so I bought it to try it out and that was last year.
The factory is located in Indiana. I don't know how big they are, I know they don't have a web site that I can find.
? It is a simple machine to operate and does go deep. ;D

I find this very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I really wish we had some detailed info online. It's funny how sometimes companies have a great product but they put very little into advertising. I've never quite figured that one out.

I'm all for simple to operate. Personally, I'm not into these super complex gismo detectors they're making today. I think much of it is just hype.

I'll do some searching and see what I can find of the Wilson detector. If you have an address for the company, please share it.

Zeb

OP
OP
O

oregondirt

Here is their address: Wilson Electroics, 4415 Brookton Dr, South Bend , Ind. 46614
Keith

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the previous model (the Northstar). Good machine especially in iron but it did tend to have fits of instability at times for no reason.
I tried a very good Wilson (the ATD) for about five minutes. Seemed excellent but I've not seem one since or a test report. Anyone got one or had one in the past ?

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Vito but I had and know the Northstar, its the follow up ATD (Analogue to Digital) that seems to have appeared and disappeard. Makes me wonder if it worked great in some areas but not in others.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I think sometimes these small companies develop great machines but due to the big competition they just decide to back off. Maybe they figure the bulk of the buyers aren't going to come they're way so they don't advertise much and just work a small circle of faithful buyers with mailings.

????

I don't know but I'd sure like to try one of these.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
"The "Coin Select" is the most advanced State of the Art metal detector in the world. Now with it's very own type of "ID" that can be set to cancel zinc pennies or copper to aluminum or tin cans. You can select to read only 25 cent coins or higher. No other detector in the world has these capabilities. This type of "ID" can save you more valuable time than you have ever thought possible. By not hearing the unwanted coins, you will have more productive time in the field. It is far more productive to dig 25 cent coins and higher than to dig pennies. You will not be detecting the same coins over that you did not want when you had an ID that required looking at. This is a great time saver!
User Friendly "TURN ON AND GO"

Say goodbye to weak signals! Only the Digital "Coin Select" gets all signals loud and clear! 12 ways to use the new "Coin Select" are for Archeology, Artifacts, Beach combing, Caches, Select Coins, Ghost Towns, Meteorites, Old Homesites, Pirate Treasure, Prospecting, Relics and Copper Float

With Ultra Slow Motion Operation, just a slight movement of the searchcoil when its over metal is all that's needed to produce a sound. It's easy to center even a large coin laying on top of the ground. Just slow your speed down and it will narrow in on the coin within an inch or two of the center, faster and easier than a manual pin-point switch, saving time and making treasure hunting even more enjoyable

Engineered for Depth

Features:
Ultra Slow Motion
Ground tracking discriminator
Tunes out Black-Sand & Hot Rocks
Tunes, From All-Metal Thru Disc
Unreal Depth
Silent Searching
Soft padded arm-rest
Blue turquoise anodized shaft
3 "drop-in" 9-volt batteries
3.5 pounds
1/4" phone jack
Depth (sensitivity) control
Select (eliminate junk) control
Shaft extends 40" to 54"
7.5" or 9.5" Waterproof Searchcoil
Operating temp. 30-110 degrees
Warranty: 2 Year (Limited)

#1 - All-Metals Read (All-Metals)
#2 - Iron & Nails out (Civil War Relics)
#3 - Foil and Above out (Schools & wet Salt Beaches)
#4 - Tab and Above out (Some Trash Area)
#5 - Zinc penny and above out (Hi-Trash Area's)
#6 - Copper penny, Aluminum can & above out, read 25 cent & up (Hi-Trash Area' "

OP
OP
O

oregondirt

Zeb, If you live in Oregon you are welcome to try mine. I should sell it or trade, got to many machines now.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I just talked to the builder.They still are making the 'Coin Select'with all the features Zeb listed above.It operates at 6.75kz but since it has such unique screening,it is also very good small nugget(bb) finder and they have been selling several in AZ.They have a brand new coil that Kellyco does not have.They have been making detectors for 35yrs.I can't give you the price he gave me.His phone is 1-574-291-1226,So.Bend,Ind.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
oregondirt said:
Zeb, If you live in Oregon you are welcome to try mine. I should sell it or trade, got to many machines now.

I live in Michigan otherwise I'd probably look you up and try it. Thanks for the offer.

I been buying stuff like crazy off ebay so I'd best cool it for a month or so.

I've already had a couple people offer to sell me thier machines and they both said they loved it. Haven't really heard anything negative yet.

OP
OP
O

oregondirt

I know what you mean about ebay! I just bought a digital camera and that set me back from buying another detector.....which I don't need!
Keith

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
............. Wilson is a very unique company! I have talked to Paul Wilson several times over the years! The hot head super coils are his idea and were produced by his company until he gave the rights to Kellyco!! His is a small company and I get the impression that he is content with that! He is always selling his current top line detector and even if you call concerning repair of one of his older detectors...................he always seems to push the newer ones over anything older! .............I think that his current detector is great and a wonder but I still prefer the older machines.................... some of the older detectors that I like are his and some are not!!....................Joe

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.................WELL.............I finally got one!! Took it out Saturday.................goes deep ......most of the coins were not found in the first plug!!..............Started on #4 but was finding a lot of Zincoln's....so I switched to #5.........found a good handful of pocket change.............mostly Cu pennies, dimes, and quarters..............found a lot more dimes than I usually do!!..........Although I set the machine on MAX for sensitivity .....it does not do a lot of chirping......(a little bit of chirping is good.....it lets me know that I'm over an iron/trashy site .......and I will slow down my sweeping speed a lot!!)...........especially on #5 all of the targets were good coin targets................No pin pointing mode is needed........just slow really down and the target will shrink to about a 2 inch or less square!!.......................I made a 2nd pass with another detector to see what was missed.............found a small handful of additional change plus all of the pull-tabs and Can Slaw.................Made me realize that the next hunt I will probably start on #3..............but it is fun to just dig nothing but coins even if they are just clad and the higher conductives!!................Oh Yea........using 2 different detectors to hunt a site........is really eye opening.............I think that I will use this procedure a lot in the future!! Start with one detector and hunt it real good........ maybe just set up to find all of the higher conductives and then make a 2nd pass with another detector set up to find the lower conductives!........it is always interesting to see...... what was missed/passed up on the 1st pass!!....................HH...............Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread