Cobra Beach Magnet - Six Months Later

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Ok, here's the highs and lows for the Cobra Beach Magnet.

I bought the machine to survive getting wet, which it has with ZERO problems. I was a bit let down by the cosmetic appearance of the machine because it looked cheaply made. After six months of hard use that include it being completely drowned and dropped and bashed, it hasn't had one problem. I have found that 8 AA batteries (Energizer 2200 mA Rechargables) will last a very long time in this machine. I guess that could relate to the lack of bells and whistles. The coil is held on with a 1/4 inch plastic bolt, which I over tightened and snapped. I couldn't find a replacement like it, so I purchased a PVC toilet seat bolt and drilled the coil and shaft to 3/8 inch and it has worked perfectly since. There is a pretty basic Discrimination and Depth setup, but they work just like any other machine's. There is only one tone that either hits or misses, but it seems sensitive enough for the task but takes some getting used to. The coil has exposed epoxy on the bottom, but it doesn't seem to be wearing very much and I do hunt in some very rocky areas. It lacks a pinpoint function, but by "X-ing" the target, I can usually get really close. A double tone indicates that the target is close and single tones are usually at least a couple inches down.

It has found silver dimes at five inches, and quarters at a solid six inches. It has a 10.5 inch coil and is not very sensitive to small targets, the smallest I have dug are .22 long rifle casings at less than an inch. It will get deep with this same coil though. I dug a crushed Pepsi can at about 14 inches in a wash. It also found lots of other coins and relics and I didn't feel as though I was missing things I would have found with the White or Fisher. In the coin garden, it performs on the same level as the other two. It has yet to give me a false hit or have problems in heavy mineralized areas.

The head phones are indeed water proof, but I hate that I can't swap them out to another set. They do work well, and are plenty loud. I usually hunt quite areas and when I do I always wear them around my neck. In noisy areas, you can still hear them, but I usually turn the volume down and put them on my ears. I am pretty tall with long arms and found that the cord for the head phones is a very little bit to short. A little reasonable stretching fixed this problem. I also didn't like the fact that the cord attached to the front of the machine, the "too short" problem would not exist if it came out the back.

When the low battery tone is heard, you can still hunt, but I never ran them until they were dead so I don't know how much time you have left. The batteries ran the machine for about ten, five to six hour hunts before the low battery tone was heard. That is a little better than advertised.

It is marginally heaver than like machines but after a couple hunts, you never notice the difference. The coil is also a bit heavy, but it is slightly bouyant in water, where it is intended to be used. The shaft is steel (I think) and is really solid and strong, no complaints there. It might be aluminum, but the finish is hard enough that I have yet to scratch it, but it feels like steel. There is no rust on it anywhere.

The appearance when it arrives is cheesy and cheap looking. After removing the stickers from the sides, it looks much better and a lot less "cheap" to the crowd. It now has the normal scratches and wear and the housing is holding up very well. It now looks as respectable as any other well used machine.

In summary, NOTHING on this machine is interchangable with anything else out there. No coil swap or headphone swaps. It is a sealed unit. It is much better built that I originally thought. The only thing that broke was totally my fault; the coil mounting bolt. No malfunctions of any kind. And it did hunt well with lots of finds to back it up. It will not find ANYTHING smaller than a BB, but will reliably find buckshot everytime. It will discriminate out nails and pulltabs, but you will lose that end of the spectrum. It will find gold and silver at the factory recomended settings, but also tabs.

In all, I would say this is a much better machine than I thought when it arrived, it's easy to learn and does do what the ads say it will do. Is it a $399.95 machine? Yes and no. As far as other machines in the underwater detector field go, I will refrain from answering. As far as land machines go, it works as well as my other two that cost more, although they do have more bells and whistles. I have verged on abuse with this machine and it held up rather well. I would say it will do well in the "used" markets. Save yourself some money and buy a used one on E-Bay. If you have any questions, PM me.

Happy Hunting!!!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
DigEmAll,

good post. I am sure many of the members will benefit.

Thanks for talking the time and for the effort.

have a good un..............

B

Blueleader

COBRA BEACH MAGNET NEW GUY

I AM NEW TO THIS SITE AND TO DETECTING,JUST PURCHASED COBRA BEACH MAGNET AND I SURE HOPE IT"S A GOOD BUY WOULD HATE TO SEND IT BACK AND LOOSE MONEY.READ SOME UPS AND DOWNS PLEASE GIVE ME SOME HOPE SOMONE,IM A LITTLE PISSED OFF ITS MADE IN CHINA AND I HATE TO SAY THIS BUT MOST OF OUR BEST ELECTRONICS ARE MADE IN CHINA AND PUT INTO USA PARTS.BUT ANYWAY ILL TRY IT.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for taking the time to write a comprehensive analysis of this machine. You helped me greatly in my decision making process and your efforts are appreciated.

Again,

Thank you.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
DigEmAll,

good post. I am sure many of the members will benefit.

Thanks for talking the time and for the effort.

have a good un..............
s/v AbbyGale said:
Thanks for taking the time to write a comprehensive analysis of this machine. You helped me greatly in my decision making process and your efforts are appreciated.

Again,

Thank you.
echo cho cho cho cho

jridg

Dec 8, 2007
San Diego, California
Detector(s) used
Cobra Beach Magnet, Whites Bullseye II
After three weeks with the beach magnet I have been fairly pleased - however I would prefer some extras as well. As my first detector it does what I need it to do - find metal ;)

I also find that I leave the descrmination set low so I can actually find the things I want.

On the good side - I have dig quarters at 8+ inches in the wet sand near the surf - I have also dig dimes in 8+ inches of sand in the tot-lots

So no complaints here - got it 'open box' on ebay - so far so good - yup I am looking to get another - 'name brand' at some point in the future with better amenities, but for a first detector I truly cannot complain.....

DIGGITALL

Nov 30, 2005
I bought a Cobra Beach Magnet detector to take to the beach on vacation after the detector came to the house I really should of just boxed it back up at that moment and sent it back but i kept it and tried it out the first thing was the head is heavy and will not stay in position with the plastic screw that holds it on the shaft the elecronics are held on with 4 screws and a clamp on bracket and you cant tighten the screws enought to keep the electronics from sliding around. The head phones black plastic covering started flaking off as soon as i put on the phns leaving black particles all over the side of my head. no sooner did it get to the beach not 100 ft of detecting and the shaft that holds the coil on broke in 3 peices and the coil fell off to my disgust it is a cheap made detector and just keeps falling apart . I have contacted Kellyco about this to see what can be done.So be advised I would not purchase that thing again. 400.00 mistake

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just received one of these thru a BOGO deal at Kellyco.(99.95) My first thought was this is a Fisher 1280 X in wolves clothes. I turn here on and started swinging it and there it was that sound I have heard for 15 years. The same sound responce as the Fisher 1280 X I have had for 15 years. When I looked at the battery compartment I said it is a 1280 X I got out my 1280 X gasket and it fits. Here is what I think so far. I think it's made by Fisher in there Malaysia location that they just move there Fisher plant too!(2009) I think it has the electronics of the 1280 X with cheaper components. Like the housing, shaft, meter light, switches/nobs,coil. Side by side they have the same size housing but shaped differently. They also seem to detect the same in my coin garden. I probally will sell it new as received. I have the 1280 X and don't need two the same. Steve

ChuckTwnKid

Feb 11, 2010
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GUESS WHAT EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU BOUGHT A COBRA BEACH MAGNET to PROSPECT GOLD then you have been MISS LED.

go check their web site.

where it once said that you could " EVEN HUNT GOLD IN MOUNTAINOUS AREAS" (for 2 years it has read this as far as i know)

it now reads "THIS IS NOT A PROSPECTING DETECTOR"

NO WONDER I NEVER FOUND ANY GOLD.

AND IF YOU HAVE'NT EITHER THEN THATS WHY.

THEY WOULNT TELL YOU BUT I WILL

IF YOU FEEL YOU HAVE BEEN MISS LED LIKE I HAVE THEN I SUGGEST YOU CONTACT them AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

IF YOU WANT TO FIND COINS and TIN CANS THEN ITS A GREAT METAL DETECTOR.

BUT THATS NOT WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR.

DID ANYONE ELSE BUY THIS PRODUCT EXPECTING TO BE ABLE TO FIND GOLD IN THE MOUNTAINS, IF SO REPLY TO THIS.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR READING THIS.

P.S.

they thought they could change their web page before i could save and print it. HAHA

Attachments

• 0210001657.jpg
    0210001657.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 2,992

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These machines are really a bad buy.

Don't think they are a rebranded Fisher as they are not. The Fisher 1280 runs at 2.4 kHz, Beach Magnet at 12.5.
Fishers are treated and prepared to withstand salt water use. The B.M. has alloy shafts that start is corrode from the inside even the shaft of the control knobs start to seize in time.

Get a Fisher and you will find that you can increase the discrimination to reject unwanted items without throwing depth out of the window.
You still get what you pay for. In the U.K. the twin of this machine sold for $150 (with a free screwdriver). At the U.S. price point of $400 why not just buy a secondhand U.S. built quality detector.

easternshore

Jun 23, 2010
Greetings everyone,

I'm a novice. Just got a Cobra Beach Magnet on eBay with no manual. Tried in my backyard (160 year old house and lot) and found what appears to be an old door lock, two nails and an "S" hook. Maybe I should turn the discriminator down to 2 as bigscoop suggests! Any other suggestions for eliminating objects of no value? Is there any way to notice differences other than turning down the discriminator? I plan to use on beaches of the Chesapeake Bay. Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
easternshore said:
Greetings everyone,

I'm a novice. Just got a Cobra Beach Magnet on eBay with no manual. Tried in my backyard (160 year old house and lot) and found what appears to be an old door lock, two nails and an "S" hook. Maybe I should turn the discriminator down to 2 as bigscoop suggests! Any other suggestions for eliminating objects of no value? Is there any way to notice differences other than turning down the discriminator? I plan to use on beaches of the Chesapeake Bay. Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers

Maybe you misunderstood, the lower you set your discrimination the more junk it will signal on. The main problem with the Cobra is that it's discrimination feature is pretty poor compared to higher quality units. If you turn the discrimination up too high, say past 2, you're going to risk missing items such as nickels & gold, yet, even at the number 2 setting you're still going to get hits on a lot of junk items. The best you can do with this unit is to air test it with a selection of items you want to be able to find and forget about trying to set it to avoid signaling on those things you don't want to find. Once you have the machine set the way you want it during your air test just back the discrimination off a touch and start here. As far as the manual goes, there's really not much in it that's going to help you out. The good news is this, it will hunt fairly deep and I don't mind using it on fairly clean beaches and on fairly clean ground and I have found some nice rings with it and some fairly deep coins, say in the 8" range. You're going to dig more junk but just as with any detector there are a few tricks that you can apply. Perhaps one of the best tricks with this unit is to keep slowly raising the coil as you continue to sweep a centered target, after the coil is 6' or 7" of the ground if the signal is still strong and sharp and the diameter of the pinpointed area is still over a couple inches in diameter then your target probably has a lot of surface area, meaning it's most likely a large item. Other then this, I can't think of anything else that you can really apply that's going to help you I.d. things before you dig with this unit. There is also some differences in the tone on this machine but that's just going to take time to learn. Hope this info helps.

ChuckTwnKid

Feb 11, 2010
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GUESS WHAT EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU BOUGHT A COBRA BEACH MAGNET to PROSPECT GOLD then you have been MISS LED.

go check their web site.

where it once said that you could " EVEN HUNT GOLD IN MOUNTAINOUS AREAS" (for 2 years it has read this as far as i know)

it now reads "THIS IS NOT A PROSPECTING DETECTOR"

NO WONDER I NEVER FOUND ANY GOLD.

AND IF YOU HAVE'NT EITHER THEN THATS WHY.

THEY WOULNT TELL YOU BUT I WILL

IF YOU FEEL YOU HAVE BEEN MISS LED LIKE I HAVE THEN I SUGGEST YOU CONTACT them AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

IF YOU WANT TO FIND COINS and TIN CANS THEN ITS A GREAT METAL DETECTOR.

BUT THATS NOT WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR.

DID ANYONE ELSE BUY THIS PRODUCT EXPECTING TO BE ABLE TO FIND GOLD IN THE MOUNTAINS, IF SO REPLY TO THIS.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR READING THIS.

P.S.

they thought they could change their web page before i could save and print it. HAHA

oh, and did I mention that the director of sales with kellyco said he wasn't going to make things right and no one would believe me. I told him "no one has to believe me because I recorded all our conversations" I talked to the boss lady after that, sent her this picture and copies of the recorded conversations. They sent me a floor model Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, which I had to send to Garrett headquarters for them to fix, yeah. Garrett company is awesome, they fixed if for free and sent it back. I love my Scorpion. My Advice? I'm not a fan of detectors that can't find EVERYTHING(pure gold) and don't buy from Kelleyco. There are plenty of other places to buy detectors.

jwm45

Sep 5, 2011
south texas
Detector(s) used
,f-5,simplex 2.68: simplex + 2.78
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After three weeks with the beach magnet I have been fairly pleased - however I would prefer some extras as well. As my first detector it does what I need it to do - find metal ;)

I also find that I leave the descrmination set low so I can actually find the things I want.

On the good side - I have dig quarters at 8+ inches in the wet sand near the surf - I have also dig dimes in 8+ inches of sand in the tot-lots

So no complaints here - got it 'open box' on ebay - so far so good - yup I am looking to get another - 'name brand' at some point in the future with better amenities, but for a first detector I truly cannot complain.....
WELL my friend stick to Tesoro machines Sand shark or tiger shark,been doing a lot ground work on the best water machines without having to pay an arm or a leg.I hunt in salt water and the best for this is a Sand Shark with the 10.5 " coil its a P.I.detector,you buy it new and its warranty is for LIFE.JUST ordered one today.Stay away from Chinese detectors. Who fixes them if they break down,or you have to have parts?Chinese are copying lots of American machines right now!!!!!Problem is their parts are very cheaply made,chips,boards,cheap wire.!!YOU would be supprised as the name brand names that are being made in china.BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU BUY--ASK AROUND DO SOME RESERCH-----ALIBABA CHINESE CO. HAS SUBCONTRACTORS MAKING THIS MACHINES RIGHT NOW!!Good luck.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Chinese junk I feel. A friend bought one and it broke the first time out. If you really want success, stick with machines that are quality. My 2¢

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELL my friend stick to Tesoro machines Sand shark or tiger shark,been doing a lot ground work on the best water machines without having to pay an arm or a leg.I hunt in salt water and the best for this is a Sand Shark with the 10.5 " coil its a P.I.detector,you buy it new and its warranty is for LIFE.JUST ordered one today.Stay away from Chinese detectors. Who fixes them if they break down,or you have to have parts?Chinese are copying lots of American machines right now!!!!!Problem is their parts are very cheaply made,chips,boards,cheap wire.!!YOU would be supprised as the name brand names that are being made in china.BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU BUY--ASK AROUND DO SOME RESERCH-----ALIBABA CHINESE CO. HAS SUBCONTRACTORS MAKING THIS MACHINES RIGHT NOW!!Good luck.

I agree with the shark but much prefer the 8" coil over the 10.5" in the water.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just happened upon this thread, "Cobra Beach Magnet", received one thru a "BOLO" sale, all I can say is I tried it, first machine I ever just "Gave away", enough said.

OP
OP
DigEmAll

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Ironically, I still have this thing 14 years later.
������

Still works as it always has. Still won't find ANYTHING smaller than 22lr casings. And no, it still won't find nuggets. Maybe if they are bigger than a 22lr casing it'd find them but...

Would I buy it again? Meh.
Maybe on eBay for 50 bucks or less with free shipping. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread