Detector Pro Wader, Not exactly a "Wonder Wader?"

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Detector Pro Wader, Not exactly a "Wonder Wader?"

Just came back to visit the posts and realized that I did not post my wader adjustment update.

I have also started a new website which I devoted one page to the Detectorpro Wader-Diver.
http://treasurelinx.com/detectorpro.html
Here you will find my pdf file on doing internal adjustments, at the bottom of my page.

I have hunted a well worked beach and a few schoolyards this summer thru the fall with the Wader.
Here are my totals for 54 hours of hunting.

TWOONIES CANADIAN $2 COINS)----21
LOONIES $1 COIN----48
QUARTERS----157
DIMES----145
PENNIES----837
SILVER RINGS----8
GOLD RINGS----1
GOLD CHAIN----1
SILVER DIME----1
LOTS OF MISC.

Attachments

• wader62010a.JPG
    wader62010a.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 409
  • WDR2.JPG
    WDR2.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 396
  • wader82010.JPG
    wader82010.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 402
  • waderfindsaug09a.JPG
    waderfindsaug09a.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 424

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lot of variation on the reports on the Headhunters.

I can't understand them being classed as light. The Rimertron design of years back that Detector Pro copied at least had a light coil. DP's version, as they used a tweaked copy of the Fisher 1280 circuit, remained stuck with an over heavy coil as the Fisher operated at 2.4 kHz and the lower the frequency the more turns of wire are needed on the coil.
The 1280 was designed as a freshwater machine. Even tweaked you are not going to get the best salt water performance out of the design.

The modifications to the cups, especially to stop them revolving round on themselves, thus breaking the wires, seemed to be sucessful. The only fault I've come up against in the last few years was proved to be a coil fault. Though the detector was slightly out of warranty it was repaired for free and they even paid the return post to the U.K.

With the pulse version, which is an Eric Foster design, it should be deeper than the Whites pulse and be easier to I.D. iron with it though the pinpointing is slightly off. The small coil version picks up chains that many other pulse detectors slide over without a beep and the large coil version has great depth. You can't really call a Whites Surf PI better because it runs smoother because it doesn't. It seems to but its a noisy machine that they stick a componant in that knocks out the fluctuations/noise but at the cost of depth. To increase performance for the DF version they just increased the coil size and removed the componant which is why there's so many comments about the DF being noisy.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

U.K. Brian said:
Lot of variation on the reports on the Headhunters.
UK Brian. You seem to be very knowlegable on these detectors. Maybe you can help me. Do you know why my HH Pulse detector constantly falses? It beeps every 2 seconds or so with the slightest twitch or just at random and drives me nuts. 2x to the factory they say they can find nothing wrong but changed my electronics anyway. Warranty was still good but I refused to pay for shipping and insurance a 3rd time because they failed to recognize the problem. Could it be a defective coil? I really never got to use this unit. :(

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:

Bigcy...you are still having issues with your PI ? If I remember correctly, you have the open 11 inch coil on it ( yes ? ). I wonder if the falsing would still occur with the smaller 8 inch coil.

If you have the model that can swap coils, I would talk to Gary at Detector Pro to see what break he may give you if you swap coils. The coils aren't cheap.

The first HH PI I purchased had the 11 inch coil and I had issues with pin pointing and not being able to run it at the optimal frequency without it being unstable. I sold it but later got another one with the 8 inch coil. I have learned fthe smaller coil, for me, is much better overall. It can run at optimal frequency, pin points much better and it's stable.

JC

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

therover said:
Bigcy...you are still having issues with your PI ? If I remember correctly, you have the open 11 inch coil on it ( yes ? ). I wonder if the falsing would still occur with the smaller 8 inch coil.
Yes I have the 11 inch open coil. I havent been using it because it falses so badly. Its just packed away in the closet somewhere, warranty is over now. I only used it about 5 times. It was never right. I think its a good idea to try another coil. It makes sense because they replaced everything else. Ill work on it and post the results.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry not to have replied...few inches of snow and thats the power gone !

I agree the coil has got to be checked.

With the original non P.I. Headhunter I know two people who had problems after working the dry stoney top area of the beach and both had clipped rocks with no apparant damage but problems started at that point. I did the same years back with an old Tesoro and the wire to the shielding in the coil had sprung off which was an easy fix.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

U.K. Brian said:
Sorry not to have replied...few inches of snow and thats the power gone !

I agree the coil has got to be checked.

With the original non P.I. Headhunter I know two people who had problems after working the dry stoney top area of the beach and both had clipped rocks with no apparant damage but problems started at that point. I did the same years back with an old Tesoro and the wire to the shielding in the coil had sprung off which was an easy fix.
It was erratic from the start but usable. My problems started when I put my head underwater first time out to retrieve a target in the surf. Afterall, its a diver, I thought to myself. Bad mistake. Both cups flooded in seconds and I lost all depth.

I sent it to factory with insurance, they sent it back, nothing repaired. I think they said they cleaned it and changed the battery terminals and crossover wire. It was brand new for chrissakes!! My dealer said the mother board becomes toast when water hits it and he would talk to the factory.

Angry I sent it back again with insurance. On the phone they said they could find nothing wrong but they replaced all the electronics, including the pots. They did nothing with the defective leaking cups. I thought to myself this is acceptable. At least I can beach hunt. I was wrong.

This is when all the falsing started. The unit now has good normal depth but it beeps every 1-3 seconds if I recall and I cant tell the real target from a false signal unless I sweep over several times. Very annoying so I gave up. I see no reason to keep sending it back to a factory that wont admit a problem. My dealer now says he witnessed the repair and the cups dont leak and the unit is fine.

The only thing I can do is try to repair it myself. Afterall its brand new, couldnt be that hard to fix. I hope its the coil.

Thanks.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

I just want to add that, as far as I know, I probably did not speak with Gary at DetectorPro. By the time I found out that he is the man to speak to, when there is a problem, it was too late. By then I was so disgusted with the way it was handled and I let my warranty run out. But I have been told that he goes out of his way to help people. But the bottom line is, through a series of what I perceived to be incompetent service, I bought a brand new detector and never got to use it more than a few hours. It now collects dust in the closet. I cant even sell it.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:

LX Kid,
My BHID will air test on a quarter in disc mode at 20cm (7.8 inch) and at 36cm (14 inch) in All metal.
I agree that the disc mode is a bit weak but All Met is not bad.
The BHID will not go as deep as the Sov or Excal. I have always considered the Excal And Sov series detectors to be the best beach machines around and will come very close to matching the Seahunter and Infinium for depth on salt beaches.

Adrian SS

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:

Adrian,

I agree about the BHID. You gotta hunt in all metal on the beach to get the best depth. Discriminate mode, to me, lacked the depth and sensitivity to smaller gold targets.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

therover said:
Adrian,

I agree about the BHID. You gotta hunt in all metal on the beach to get the best depth. Discriminate mode, to me, lacked the depth and sensitivity to smaller gold targets.

Of course, if you're going to run in All Metal, you can just get a PI unit that will go deeper than either the Excal or the BHID.

I wouldn't be concerned about digging junk. You're only digging in sand and a good scoop will solve that problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions