Detector Pro Wader, Not exactly a "Wonder Wader?"

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
Detector Pro Wader, Not exactly a "Wonder Wader?"

Just purchased a used/new Detector Pro Wader w/8" coil and was wondering what I can expect of it. It is the 2009 "New Updated" model with several enhancements like seals, click controls and improved wiring. I intend to use it for Florida beach hunting. Got any pros/cons on this "improved" model? Thanks

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Who's got the Detector Pro Wader and your opinions of it?

[size=14pt]Contrats! You just bought yourself a real fine detector. :hello2: I've had mine for a couple of years and really love it.

It's lightweight, easy to use and you can go for hours without arm fatigue. I've used it on dry land and wet/dry sand at the beach, both salt water and fresh. I usually run disc=2 or 3, sens=9, vol=where you like it. It's a silent running machine and very, very hot on silver. I've never found as many dimes and silver rings with any other detector as I have with this one.

I like the fact that while your detecting if it starts to rain you don't have to run for cover (unless there is lightning in the area). Eveything is water protected for six feet deep. Look at it this way. If you were six feet tall you would have to be standing in 12 feet of water before you had problems with your ear phones.

If you need a water scoop I have one for sale in the classifieds forum. Good luck and Happy Hunting!!!

snoopwithtitle.jpg

Attachments

• snoopwithtitle.jpg
    snoopwithtitle.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 2,305
OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others

Thanks Mat! How would you rate the depth of this machine? Also do you like the performance of it's discrimination? Thanks, LX Kid

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Mat in MA said:
I like the fact that while your detecting if it starts to rain you don't have to run for cover (unless there is lightning in the area). Eveything is water protected for six feet deep.
I dont own one but I have heard that it is a good machine. :icon_thumright: I would suggest that you do NOT immerse the headphones. They are water resistant and you dont have to worry about the rain but do not stick your head underwater. It is only asking for trouble. "Water protected for 6 feet" is confusing because it only takes 6 inches to ruin your unit. I put my head underwater with my brand new "waterproof" DetectorPro PI diving model first time out and have not been able to get it repaired correctly since. Some headphone cups may be waterproof but others are not and its just not worth it. Some cups are warped, damaged or defective and others develop hairline cracks. Just dont immerse your head.
Good luck with your Wader. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used

My Detector Pro Wader arrived today. Put some fresh batteries in and gave it a quick air test. Can't say that I'm overly impressed with the depth with it's 8" coil. Maybe where it will shine is in the wet sand and water. I found that the ear phone, where the batteries go, was "cheapie" in construction. Can't see where there would be much water proofing if dropped in the water for more than a few seconds! Maybe putting a wide rubber band around the earphones mateing joint might make it a little safer. Anyone want to chime in on it's performance? Thanks

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

LX Kid said:
My Detector Pro Wader arrived today. Put some fresh batteries in and gave it a quick air test. Can't say that I'm overly impressed with the depth with it's 8" coil. Maybe where it will shine is in the wet sand and water. I found that the ear phone, where the batteries go, was "cheapie" in construction. Can't see where there would be much water proofing if dropped in the water for more than a few seconds! Anyone want to chime in on it's performance? Thanks
My DetectorPro PI has the same headphone cups and it flooded in 2 seconds and it supposed to be a diver. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,155385.0.html
So I advise do not immerse the headphones even in 6 inches of water! It is nice that you can hunt in the rain and you can hose it off without too much concern.

I dont know about the Wader, but my PI has good depth. The construction is good and being very lightweight is a plus.

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used

Took the BHID outside today to see how it read on pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters. This was an air test and used it with max sensitivity (at slight chatter), no discrimination and mid volume. The best was between 6-7" on quarter. Don't think this is a lot to "crow" about for depth. Took the coil off my head, slipped out of my hand and the headset hit my big toe and blood gushing! "DANG" I can't believe I did that! The battery side split open and batteries hanging. Now I know there's another mod coming up, " A safety string around my neck connected to the headphones!" Man I feel "dumber than dirt!" LX Kid

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

LX Kid said:
The battery side split open and batteries hanging.
LOL I hate when that happens. In reality its not funny. I bought a diving unit but it wont even stay shut from the car to the beach. >:(

Like I said before, there is no way in the world that this thing is waterproof in 6 feet of water. What Mat in Ma says about 12 feet of water is just not true for all headphones. It may be true in 50 percent of the units. :dontknow: I advise do NOT immerse your headphones. There are too many defective cups and yours being a used unit could have been dropped. If it hits a hard surface it may crack.
Mat in MA said:
Eveything is water protected for six feet deep. Look at it this way. If you were six feet tall you would have to be standing in 12 feet of water before you had problems with your ear phones.

Keep your head above the waves, try to be extra carefull with the headphones and you should be OK. I dont see any way to screw or tie the cups together. The first time mine was at the factory for repair, they actually silicon glued my cups together in an attempt to make it waterproof, I guess. :o :dontknow: I have the picture somewhere. I just couldnt believe what I was seeing and of course I was furious. I sent it back to the factory and they removed the silicon glue. ::)

The important thing for a Wader is will it work in the saltwater? Give it a test and let us know the results.

ADDED: Oh BTW dont ever drop your headphones. I have been told that the hard plastic cups will crack easily when dropped on a hard surface. You may not even realize that you have hairline cracks. The factory says this is the number one reason for leaks.

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used

You know, for the premium price they get for this detector it just seems like a little more attention to detail. Think the problem is the cup is a tad too small for the two 9Volt batteries and no battery mounts. A slight pressure is exerted on the outer shell and any slight knocking of the shell pops it open. Think it may be time to put some non-hardening silicone around sealing rim and some velcro tape on two sides. What cha think? LX Kid

Oh, just had another thought, "When all else fails use DUCT TAPE!" Put new duct tape on at every battery change. It ain't purdy but it sure will work. Bailing wire might have it's merits also! LoL

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

LX Kid said:
You know, for the premium price they get for this detector it just seems like a little more attention to detail. Think the problem is the cup is a tad too small for the two 9Volt batteries and no battery mounts. A slight pressure is exerted on the outer shell and any slight knocking of the shell pops it open. Think it may be time to put some non-hardening silicone around sealing rim and some velcro tape on two sides. What cha think? LX Kid
My cup shuts with less pressure than that of a styrophone cup and it sometimes pops open on its own while Im carrying it to the beach. . I dont know the answer. The part that eats me up is that the DetectorPro factory refuses to admit there is a problem. They are in constant denial.

I dont think the battery mounts are the problem but yes its another design flaw. Use Energizers and they kinda snap into place. Then keep it level and close it very carefully. Make sure the batteries do not move. . The factory recomends NOT to use Coppertops.

The problem with mine is a warped cup and its apparently not covered under the 2 year warranty. I sent mine back twice and they didnt replace it. The factory admits that it is expensive to make the cups to the exact specifications. Its just a bad design IMO.

The factory recomends to use a silicone grease on the O-rings. I would NOT use anything else. The factory technician that glued my cups together was either incompetant or looking for a cheap fix.. The velcro on the outside might help. Let me know if it works out.

I dont understand why DetectorPro doesnt listen to owners complaints and try to make improvements. The constant denial that anything was ever wrong is not helping. I actually think they have potential. They are the lightest detector on the market and you will enjoy swinging it all day without your arm getting tired.

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Re: Detector Pro Wader, Not exactly a "Wonder Wader?"

Hey BigCH. There's defineitely a design flaw. If you look at the blue side, where the bushings for frame mounting goes thru, you'll notice there is no groove in that area to allow the o-ring to grab. Those bushings, had they been drilled thru about 1/32" lower, would have been enought for the o-ring to lock into the blue cup. I believe this is the weak area that won't allow a solid lock-up of the o-ring. A slightly larger diameter o-ring would have been more benificial also. The batteries rattleing around inside the cup doesn't help either. LX Kid

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

LX Kid said:
Hey BigCH. There's defineitely a design flaw. If you look at the blue side, where the bushing for frame goes thru, you'll notice there is no groove in that area to allow the o-ring to grab. Those bushings, had they been drilled thru about 1/32" lower, would have been enought for the o-ring to lock into the blue cup. I believe this is the weak area that won't allow a solid lock-up of the o-ring. A slightly larger diameter o-ring would have been more benificial also. The batteries rattleing around inside the cup doesn't help either. LX Kid
One of my cups shuts with a little snap but the other (battery side) does not. When I shut my battery side as hard as I can, I can still see the o-ring sticking out so I think one of my cups is wrarped. I cant get it shut completely.

The point is that I purchased mine as a Diver.

As far as the Wader is concerned, if your cups will stay shut and your head above water, you should be allright. Try it out in the surf and let us know. You might like it. It should also be fine in the rain.

Im expecting a surprise in my mail anyday. A member who's cups flooded first time out is sending me his unit for free. He says its worthless to him as a diver. Im hoping to make one good surf unit out of the two.

BTW how much did you pay?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

LX Kid said:
Hey BigCH. There's defineitely a design flaw. If you look at the blue side, where the bushings for frame mounting goes thru, you'll notice there is no groove in that area to allow the o-ring to grab. Those bushings, had they been drilled thru about 1/32" lower, would have been enought for the o-ring to lock into the blue cup. I believe this is the weak area that won't allow a solid lock-up of the o-ring.

I looked at mine again and I think you are correct. The stud is in the way of the o-ring groove and this may be my problem. Maybe we can cut it 1/32' to make the 0-ring fit. Ill have to study it and take some pics later. Thanks for the tip.

ADDED: If yours is under warranty, I would not change anything. Use only silicone grease on the o-rings.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Yea duct tape should work but its a pain to clean off the glue.

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used

You gotta remember though that the bushing is hollow and holds the frame pivot pin inside. If you cut thru it will leak water!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Ok thanks.

Im not that much of a fool to ever try diving with mine again with the same old cups. Ive decided to use it beach and surf only.

For some reason it has never popped open while it was on my head in the surf. It only pops open while Im carrying it to the beach or back to the car.

You need to test yours in the water. Maybe it will be OK.

Did you read the story of the guy that got is MD back from the factory and when he opened the cup it was full of water? I guess they tested it before sending it back to him lol.

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used

Yes I will try it in the water and it will have a strap around my neck to keep it from accidentally falling into the water.

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine

The bottom line is the headhunter detectors suck. They are a hokie design

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

vondrewvious said:
The bottom line is the headhunter detectors suck. They are a hokie design
Some people love them.

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used

MY OPINION IS: Detector Pro has one of the best concepts but they just can't seem to put out quality craftmanship products. Maybe at the prices they ask they just don't care about engineering quality and just want to get it while they can. They've been around long enough to know better but they just don't want to do better. Their line should sell for around $300 in my opinion based on design and material quality.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread