Detector Pro "Wader" first use impressions!

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
Detector Pro "Wader" first use impressions!

Finally made it to the back bay yesterday for about an hour with my two month old Wader. The back bay is not really sandy beach but rather lot of crushed shell with sand mixed in. It's not really the detector that I thought it would be. It's almost toylike in construction and the battery compartment construction is terrible. Seems like the consensus is they are all prone to leak including the Diver. Discrimination not so hot, depth seems average for coil size and was very stable in wet sand and water. Found three coins, several pull tabs and then hit a "glory hole," which is what I call a pocket having more than three coins in it. This hole had five quarters, 2 nickels, dime and two pennies about 8" down. Picked up so much iron or maybe they were hot rocks. Found it necessary to put duct tape on the battery compartment, to keep it from popping open, and strap on headphone frame in case it should fall off my head. Also found the ear pads need to be thicker for better comfort. After a short while they were pushing against my outer ears causing some discomfort. (Please no big ears jokes!) For $600 price tag they could have done better in the engineering department. While they are "adequate" I don't think I will be buying another Detector Pro. For years they have known about the poor quality IE; battery compartments and leaks and do no redesigns due to customer complaints. You definitelydon't want to drop the headphone in the water but would be ok in the rain! I could go into the poor construction of the frame pivot but I now find it necessary to go find some cheese to go with my "WHINE!" Just my opinions and I could be totally unfair and wrong. You decide. Thanks for looking!

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
Re: Detector Pro "Wader" first use impressions!

The thicker ear pad thing you don't read about too much but I completely agree. I don't have big ears and they would be killing me after a while.
I concur with all of your other findings. I know from first hand experience that they have an excellent service department and maybe it is easier to fix machines that improve design quality.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am sorry that your new wader is a poor detector in quality. However companies still try to sucker us into buying poor quality because we are one one little voice of a customer. Thanks to threads like this from real owners people learn. Take note however that the waders are specialized machines that some people like because of the weight factor. You wanna save weight, we should all buy Tesoro's at 2.2 pounds.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Sandman said:
Take note however that the waders are specialized machines that some people like because of the weight factor. You wanna save weight, we should all buy Tesoro's at 2.2 pounds.

I think they are liked because the electronics are all in the headphones.
Ever try hanging a light weight Tesoro control box on your ears?

Based on my personal experience with the USA made "Wader" and the offshore made "Pirate Pro" I would buy the "Priate Pro".
Same electronics ... higher quality.

Willee

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others

All in all thought it is a good design and works very well "but" don't drop the headphones in water. I just would'nt trust it's waterproofing abilities. Just seems to be the "luck of the draw!"

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:

LX Kid said:
All in all thought it is a good design and works very well "but" don't drop the headphones in water. I just would'nt trust it's waterproofing abilities. Just seems to be the "luck of the draw!"
Yes it seems the luck of the draw. It appears to be about 50/50. You either get a waterproof one, or you dont. There is no way in the world that mine can be made waterproof. Mine flooded BOTH sides in seconds. (I could maybe understand one side) But I have talked to others that have gone underwater and their detector survived. Of course the beach only hunters wont complain. Its the luck of the draw.

vondrewvious said:
I know from first hand experience that they have an excellent service department and maybe it is easier to fix machines that improve design quality.
Service may be good but I have NEVER heard of anyone that had their leaky cups replaced. Please tell me if Im wrong.

Sandman said:
Thanks to threads like this from real owners people learn.
Yes, thanks for TN. :icon_thumright: I posted my complaints on the DerectorPro forum and was called a liar by my dealer. http://www.findmall.com/login.php?11 I suspect he was under a lot of stress with all the returned units. I returned my PI Unit twice. Once after the first trial and the second time because they sent it back to me unrepaired. Shipping and insurance is expensive and I gave up out of frustration. I am now trying to find someone that can repair my unit or I will have to try and fix it myself by trial and error. I am left with a very erratic malfunctioning unit that never worked properly from the start.

LX Kid said:
Finally made it to the back bay yesterday for about an hour with my two month old Wader. While they are "adequate" I don't think I will be buying another Detector Pro.
It sounds like your Wader works better than my PI, LXKID. Im happy that at least it is "adequate".

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcypresshunter said:
Yes, thanks for TN. :icon_thumright: I posted my complaints on the DerectorPro forum and was called a liar by my dealer. http://www.findmall.com/login.php?11 I suspect he was under a lot of stress with all the returned units. I returned my PI Unit twice. Once after the first trial and the second time because they sent it back to me unrepaired. Shipping and insurance is expensive and I gave up out of frustration. I am now trying to find someone that can repair my unit or I will have to try and fix it myself by trial and error. I am left with a very erratic malfunctioning unit that never worked properly from the start.

Man that sucks. I'll bet if you had them served with a lawsuit they'd make it right. $25-50 bux in most places to file a small claims complaint. Issues like this are what has convinced me to buy a Sand Shark. I've yet to hear anyone complain about Tesoro's service.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

GibH said:
bigcypresshunter said:

Man that sucks. I'll bet if you had them served with a lawsuit they'd make it right. $25-50 bux in most places to file a small claims complaint. Issues like this are what has convinced me to buy a Sand Shark. I've yet to hear anyone complain about Tesoro's service.
They actually tried. The warranty is now over. Its as if whoever tried to repair my unit was incompetent. They also said they cant find anything wrong. It now falses every second and the only way I can tell a signal is the split second silence before the beep.

I hunt with it in the surf because its all I have for saltwater. Its very annoying and I obviously cant hear the deep signals. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,155385.0.html

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
Re: Detector Pro "Wader" - Brief Experience

Maybe 3 years ago I ordered one and found the volume to be so low it would be useless detecting a park with noisy traffic nearby, to say nothing of detecting on the beach with its pounding surf. Some parts of the earcups showed where heavy, long standing dust and grime had remained while most of the cups were clean. I thought it must be a repair unit that somehow got mixed with the outgoing units. The metal detector dealer had me return it and some of his colleagues test it and thought it was OK. Fortunately, the dealer let my get a refund towards another detector.

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used

The volume on mine is very loud and found it very stable in salt water. Wish I had not traded it away! Now I want another.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

LX Kid said:
The volume on mine is very loud and found it very stable in salt water. Wish I had not traded it away! Now I want another.
??? I thought you just bought one? ???

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used

Yeh I did just get it a short while ago. With it's poor quality craftsmanship I decided to let it go. I have a Beach Hunter ID that is a lot better but is heavier. I thought I traded better but alas out of the skillet and into the fire. It would be a backup when I find another. Even the new DP Pirate might work out pretty good. Also have a Fisher 1280-X Wader but not so good in salt water but fine in dry sand and fresh water.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

LX Kid said:
Yeh I did just get it a short while ago. With it's poor quality craftsmanship I decided to let it go. I have a Beach Hunter ID that is a lot better but is heavier. I thought I traded better but alas out of the skillet and into the fire. It would be a backup when I find another. Even the new DP Pirate might work out pretty good. Also have a Fisher 1280-X Wader but not so good in salt water but fine in dry sand and fresh water.
I have had troubles with my Pulse Unit but I have heard nothing but good about the Wader. I am assuming it has the same headphone cups as mine by the way you describe it popping open. But if you keep your head above water, it doesnt really matter.

A member sent me his old PI unit. I notice that his cups and o-ring seal placement is entirely different than mine. So there must be at least 2 different types. So at least DetectorPro is trying to solve the problem. I have spoken with owners that have had no leaks.

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used

The "popping open" I was trying to describe, is if you bump it or a little ruff handling of the headset.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

LX Kid said:
The "popping open" I was trying to describe, is if you bump it or a little ruff handling of the headset.
Yes. Mine is the same. I have one side that stays shut but the battery side sometimes pops open. It only seems to happen when I am carrying it to the beach, putting it in the car or setting it on the table. . Neither side is waterproof if immersed. I was told that saltwater will ruin the board.

I actually like my unit if the one side didnt pop open so easily, and if it didnt have all the constant falsing. It would also have been nice if the factory didnt keep denying my problems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions