Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A little update on this detector.

I got one (after selling a dozen gold rings). I'm still on the learning curve but it gets better every day. So far I've been using it on my local beaches and have come up with 4 Silver dimes (3 mercs and a rosie) plus a few Silver jewelery items.

The machine has 9 preset programs and is simple to start with but has infinite variability. I'm using it on the beaches since it's easier to dig and to try to dig more and learn about the junk targets.

The 3 mercs were found at my local boaters beach. It has a shallow layer of soft sand, about 3" maximum, with a hardpack layer under that. I was unable to get any depth in the hardpack with my hand held scoop so the next day I brought a garden pick with me. One of my given up holes had me hitting the pick for 15 minutes. I was pretty stubborn and the Deus was telling me it's a dime. Finally at about 15" depth a dirty, bent gray coin came out. A close look revealed a merc! YIKES! I've detected this beach literally hundreds of times with nothing that old coming out of there. Pounding that small beach over the next few days got me 2 more mercs and lots of older clad and had me loving my Deus!

Recently I tried some beaches that had fire rings and loads of nails. It was an interesting experience and I picked up a pocket full of clad but no jewelery. The Deus essentially ignored all the nails depending on which program I ran. My biggest problem was the amount of aluminum slag from melted soda and beer cans. Those sounded off and ID'd as coins.

Another problem (and blessing?) is the extreme sensitivity to foil. It picks up the tiniest pieces ...gonna have to learn how to ignore those. Just for fun I tried my "Gigantic" nugget (that no other detector has ever picked up) and to my surprise the Deus picked it up at 1/2" depth. I'm guessing the nugget at .05 grams ... is anyone else impressed by this?

The Deus is my 6th metal detector and my first "top of the line" detector. I am a bit discouraged at the learning curve but slowly and steadily I plod away and I DO LOVE that Machine!

HH Joe

Attachments

• Nugget 2 sm.jpg
    Nugget 2 sm.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 813
OP
OP
rayredditch

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
This is a machine that you do have to learn to get the best from it, and a lot of people really don´t have the patience to learn machines nowadays. A pity, because learning a machine pays back in aces.

Digger82

Mar 5, 2009
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,Golden mask 5+, Makro racer 2 pro pack and Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking good, keep us informed what you are finding in the states with the Xp Deus. ::)

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's quite a good report on Nasa Tom's site or the Welsh Metal Detecting forum under Minelab E-Trac v XP Deus.

How many software updates so far ? Lots plus three/four hardware including the batteries being uprated. Still its getting there slowly but $500 a coil ?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.K. Brian said:
There's quite a good report on Nasa Tom's site or the Welsh Metal Detecting forum under Minelab E-Trac v XP Deus.

How many software updates so far ? Lots plus three/four hardware including the batteries being uprated. Still its getting there slowly but $500 a coil ?
:-\

Had a look at a Dues last Sunday at a dig, not vey impressed with it, looks very flimsy, although the reports from the two guys using them, were quite incouraging :P
But I think I will wait a bit longer, see what the upgrades look like, that will surely follow :-\

SS

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main Italian dealer wasn't to happy with the build quality either. Gary's report states he could not find any advantage over the Goldmaxx power or T2. There is if you dig deeper into the settings but then the latest T2 on offer is way deeper than the original T2 Gary used for his comparison.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.K. Brian said:
The main Italian dealer wasn't to happy with the build quality either. Gary's report states he could not find any advantage over the Goldmaxx power or T2. There is if you dig deeper into the settings but then the latest T2 on offer is way deeper than the original T2 Gary used for his comparison.
Yes I agree, the only advantage I could see, was the weight :o but not at over a Grand :-\

SS

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems like there are a lot of EMI issues with the upper level Fisher/Teks. That's one of the reasons why I've been looking at the Deus.

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
mrwilburino said:
It seems like there are a lot of EMI issues with the upper level Fisher/Teks. That's one of the reasons why I've been looking at the Deus.

If you are concerned with EMI, a wireless detector may not be a good idea.

Digger82

Mar 5, 2009
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,Golden mask 5+, Makro racer 2 pro pack and Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joecoin said:
mrwilburino said:

If you are concerned with EMI, a wireless detector may not be a good idea.

I have not experienced any EMI problems with the Deus, it was rock solid when a train passed nearby, but my other detector will become almost useless in the same situation.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't had any EMI issues with it either. I hunt a lot of yards and city parks, and the machine has been very quiet even with sensitivity turned up all the way.

bingbong

Jun 23, 2011
london UK
i am doing comparisons between my DEUS and T2 SE and its interesting to see the results .
both are kickass deep machines .
the SE has the edge on deep in boost mode but its marginal IMO ,they complement each other on depth .
i have some very deep targets to dig ,these appear to be over 2 feet deep.

bingbong

Jun 23, 2011
london UK
on the XP forum they are very happy about the Deus fast mode (18k) which picks out the good targets in heavilly infested iron areas`

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bingbong said:
on the XP forum they are very happy about the Deus fast mode (18k) which picks out the good targets in heavilly infested iron areas`
Doesn't the XP Power :wink:

SS

bingbong

Jun 23, 2011
london UK
no emi problems seen here just rock solid stability with good depth .
users who havent used a DEUS dont know the facts ,they just speculate.
the build quality is superb ,except maybe a heavy handed Neanderthal man might somehow break it . :hello:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
::)

Way over priced, to many gadgets, to much to go wrong and looks like something from Maplins that costs £29.99 A detector designed for the fools with to much money, who like things because they are new.

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread