has anyone tried an english made CS 990 c.scope ???

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
Hi Des, My only experience with C Scope was quite a few years ago when the rage was on and the C Scope could not even detect a 20 cent piece on top of the ground due to the mineralization. It stopped working about a foot off the ground. Make sure you test it well before you part out any money for it.

The Cat

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its a 990D its an old machine based on the VLF/TR principle. VLF ground exclusion and full range discrimination. Maximum detection range on a large coin is twelve inches. 19 kHz frequency, good battery life but it needed it using four 9 volt PP3's.
Its age would be about 25 years so no spring chicken.

If on the other hand its a 990XD it only came out two or three years back. Non motion primary search mode with ferrous discrimination by analog meter and audio. Its their bottom of range machine of this type. Cheap and good value but you really need the performance of the 1220 range. The primary search mode ground balances but as with the 990D not a detector for really hot ground.

Where you live I would not go for either model. I spent a month detecting North Island earlier this year and was not really happy with most modern machines. Pulse was fine in some areas and not in others. Most detectors provided nothing like their normal performance but conditions varied so much from the rather muddy sand round Sandspit, the golden sand further north or the black sand of the Tasman Sea down in the south west.

I never saw anyone detecting in four weeks though was told there were detectorists up Ninety Mile beach way. I would put your money towards something that will suit your conditions a bit better unless the machine is dirt cheap for a bit of fun and experimentation.

Gregmid40

Mar 20, 2013
Advance, NC.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Fisher 1225,1260,1265,1266,1270X, Garrett Freedom Ace CDC, MP Series MP5 Pro, Garrett Coin Hunter TR Disc. (1978), Mikron NRG-110, De
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Des, My only experience with C Scope was quite a few years ago when the rage was on and the C Scope could not even detect a 20 cent piece on top of the ground due to the mineralization. It stopped working about a foot off the ground. Make sure you test it well before you part out any money for it.

The Cat

Hello 'The Cat'.
I (know) this is a brand new reply to your very old post here (but), if you (are) still active on the TN forum here, you should be 'jumping up and down for joy' with this kind of depth as this is a (very) healthy amount of depth for even a modern VLF detector, let alone an old 1970's T/R type machine!!! That is (AMAZING) depth for any old T/R, (TRUST ME) !!! The only T/R I know of that can get that kind of depth was the Garrett VLF/TR ADS Deepseeker but it required 6, 9-Volt batteries to power it and after one 4-5 hr. hunt, you had to either recharge the batteries and back then, they probably would have been Nicads (or) throw them out if they were the alkaline type. Nowadays, the alkaline can be recharged. The Garrett could detect a dime at 12" even on the T/R setting though and (still) null on iron. This is the 70's 'best-kept secret' as far as metal detectors is concerned. Have fun with this machine if you still have it and to everyone reading this, count on these powerful T/R's (if set correctly), to detect a (lot) of thin and/or small/deep non-ferrous objects next to iron junk that would normally be missed even by modern VLF's, (GUARANTEED) !! Happy Hunting All !!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread