Teknetics Omega vs. Whites MXT 300

Addict

Dec 6, 2009
O.C. So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
New MXT300 - old B.H. QuickDraw
Teknetics Omega vs. White's MXT 300

??? I am looking to get a new machine, and have limited income. I am figureing on $500-$800 to spend. I coinshoot mostly (being city bound), but on vacation go up to the mountains & down to the desert for gold. So, I know it's best to have 2 machines (1 for gold, ect) but I would like a really good machine that does both.

All input is appreciated - thank you in advance.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Teknetics Omega vs. White's MXT 300

The MXT would be great in S Cal and it's high mineralization, but don't get the stock 950 coil. It sucks in really high-Fe-content dirt. It can and will drive you raving mad, especially when I come along with my cz-70 running smoothly and quietly until I actually find something, while the MXT finds so much unwanted and extra noise. I've seen this happen and it's not a pretty site to see a man that angry at his machine. I was careful not to infuriate him any further. And yes he did have the thing set up right.

The stock MXT 9.5 coil L-O-V-E-S hot rocks. The MXT doesn't have real good depth but it will mach a GoldBug II in many cases when it comes to fine gold. Neither are very stable in bad ground though. The MXT is a well-rounded instrument but is a little tricky to run. Neither the MXT or GoldBug II are good for salt/black-sand beach hunting. They won't keep up with the X-Terra 705, or Fisher F-70 with the F-75 11" DD coil when coin-hunting, relic-hunting, or beach hunting either.

I'm fortunate to have an old Compass with both tiny gold-nugget hunting abilities plus TID meter and much-better-than-average-depth (especially since I put it on a new steroid diet). It (the Relic and Coin) and the (also) factory-modified Goldscaner Pro done by Keith Wills - are two of the best all-around detectors ever made. A little heavy in today's world but very capable just the same.
The Compass is a relic, salt beach, coin, nugget hunting, meteorite-hunting extrordinaire machine. The X-Terra705, and the F-70 are two of the best current all-around detectors made.

The Teknetics are inherently noisey machines with certain coils, just like the latest Fishers are. Coil choice is critical and paramount with ALL the latest detector designs now (except for Nautiluses and Garretts which still use 80's circuitry designs). Go read about the man in Longview, Washington with it's super high iron soil who bought an F-70 and switched to the F-75 DD 11" coil and discovered how much better it worked! And yes he too realized that turning the sensitivity down in high iron soil helps too, unlike most people

Remember too that a Teknetics is a watered-down version of the Fishers now, and remember too that the same man was the same designer for both of them too.

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/211-1-fisherf70.html

I would suggest having a look at a F-70 and get the F-75 DD 11" coil to go with it. It works better and runs quieter that way. Buyers choice though. A Minelab X-Terra 705 might be another good one. Don't take anybody's word for any of it though, and always try before you buy.

Hope this helps.

LL

mgtmadness

Dec 25, 2009
Bath ,NY
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i

idk man i just seen a teknetics T2 non LTD sell for over 2500 on ebay. They only cost 999 online

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

mgtmadness said:
idk man i just seen a teknetics T2 non LTD sell for over 2500 on ebay. They only cost 999 online
There is one on ebay right now for $2150.00....................

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

I had a Whites MXT and sold it.I used a Teknetics Omega for a day last week and to me that was a awsome detector just great .......Soooooo Great i went and ordered one..............

Attachments

• Gold-Bug-faceplate-150.jpg
    Gold-Bug-faceplate-150.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 3,117
    6.4 KB · Views: 3,119

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Might want to check out the Minelab XTerra 705.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Phantasman said:
Might want to check out the Minelab XTerra 705.
Had a X Terra 70 did not like it,..........the Minelab i like i have the..Sovereign

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign

The Omega just come out the first part of 09 and i guess they sold a lot of them. I hear that they are a really good detector. And one thing i can say no one is selling theres for you never see a used one for sale. So i would say that is a good sign that the Omega is a detector they like and are holding on to.

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Addict said:
??? I am looking to get a new machine, and have limited income. I am figureing on $500-$800 to spend. I coinshoot mostly (being city bound), but on vacation go up to the mountains & down to the desert for gold. So, I know it's best to have 2 machines (1 for gold, ect) but I would like a really good machine that does both.

All input is appreciated - thank you in advance.
You pose one of the toughest questions to answer in metal detectors.

There are so many things to take into consideration that there is no clear answer IMO. 2 machines dedicated to the individual tasks are definitely the best way to go, anything else and you are compromising one task over the other.

The closest thing I can think of would be the Fisher F75 with one caveat. In the city it may be more susceptible to interference than you would like.

Perhaps as Larry suggested the F70 with DD coil may be the better choice? Hard to say

Tom Z

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Rando said:
WHITE'S
WHITE'S
WHITE'S

:laughing7:

And I'm not just saying this because I own a few White's products, including the MXT.
The MXT has depth advantage, discrimination advantage, easier to use and it has a LOT more accessories.
The teknetics is lighter, that's about it.
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/compare/?a=35
To me the MXT is not as deep as the Omega i had a MXT and used a Omega. My buddies had there MXT and Omega & me with my Sovereign the other week and the Omega was getting better depth than the MXT and Sovereign.That Omega is a mean little detector....... But that new Gold bug 3 that Fisher is to put out should be good for coins and gold at under $500.00.... I will get one of the new Gold bugs. And i got a Omega on the way .. But i still like the Minelab.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's

I have owned an MXT for many years. Great detector, but aside from the prospecting mode, doesn't have near the features or depth that the Omega does. I hunted an old house site on our farm with the MXT, T2, Tejon, Explorer, and many others over the years. A target every inch or two on this site. Found very little. Since I started using the Omega last year I have found 40 or so coins, a few Civil War items, and other nice finds. But I think to get the most out of the machine you've gotta have the 11" DD coil. With that coil, I'd put the Omega up against any detector on the market, regardless of price.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Shenandoah Digger said:
I have owned an MXT for many years. Great detector, but aside from the prospecting mode, doesn't have near the features or depth that the Omega does. I hunted an old house site on our farm with the MXT, T2, Tejon, Explorer, and many others over the years. A target every inch or two on this site. Found very little. Since I started using the Omega last year I have found 40 or so coins, a few Civil War items, and other nice finds. But I think to get the most out of the machine you've gotta have the 11" DD coil. With that coil, I'd put the Omega up against any detector on the market, regardless of price.
Shenandoah D. , You are sure right there i checked it out before i ordered mine. Not at a dealer but in the field my freind got one and let me use it. Like i said it is a killer detector """" but it seems to be a big secret or you could call it a sleeper. But i call it a great detector...........

Attachments

• splash.jpg
    splash.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,520
  • splash.jpg
    splash.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,460

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works

Omega owners what kind of soil are you hunting in .
I ask because different detectors react in different ways Some like mild soil some
work better in hot ground and some like it all. Thanks Mike

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

gmanlight said:
I ask because different detectors react in different ways Some like mild soil some
The Teknetics Omega seems to work great in mild & hot soil and so does the T2 and from what i hear so does the Fisher F70 & F75 work great in both hot & mild soil..And as soon as that new Fisher Gold Bug 3 comes to the dealers i am going to jump on one of them.I gotta have one of them........

Attachments

6.4 KB · Views: 2,998
    6.4 KB · Views: 3,005

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

DirtDiggerDaveinMD said:
How is the build quality?
The Omega seems to be sturdy to me....I have had the XLT..DFX.. MXT..and as sturdy as them and not as big and sold all my whites. And i have a Garrett 1500 i kept and a Sovereign .. But of all the detectors i have owned this ,,,Teknetics Omega just surprised the heck out of me it is a keeper.........You can find flaws in just about any thing you buy if you want to........ The Whites were very good detectors but just not for me ... I will keep my Garrett and some one wants my Sovereign and i will sell it to him. I don't have to keep all these detectors don't need them all when i get done i think all i will have is The Teknetics Omega and the Fisher New Gold Bug 3...& My Garrett 1500

gatorfan

Jan 4, 2010

gmanlight said:

Here in the Georgia clay, I can run my Omega hot(sens all the way up) and it is very stable when the coil is in motion. It is chatty when you stop or lay it down to recover a target, very smooth machine.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

gatorfan said:
gmanlight said:

Here in the Georgia clay, I can run my Omega hot(sens all the way up) and it is very stable when the coil is in motion. It is chatty when you stop or lay it down to recover a target, very smooth machine.
There you go dirtdigger it is a amazing detector that Omega.....

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works

Nasa Tom just wrote of his first impressions of the Omega and seemed pleased with it .

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

gmanlight said:
Nasa Tom just wrote of his first impressions of the Omega and seemed pleased with it .
gman... Were can i find that write up ????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread