Troy Shadow X5 ?

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
findmor said:
Are they any good?

As a relic hunter they are very good! Many also use them at low disc to hunt for gold jewelry. For coin shooting there are much better choices out there.

Tom

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
findmor said:
Are they any good?

Depends on who you ask. They are a cult machine, black and shadowy, they have this mysteek to them.
They still bring high prices for those sellers that have sold to those that still believe in magic.

They are still excellent machines that haven't been made in a very long time by Fisher and Tesoro for Troy.
There have been volumes written about them along with rival disputes between the Tesoro and Troy Shadow clans.

If you have the urge to try one, you can probably find a used one for around the $500 mark. For the money or a bit more, you can buy
some of the newer brands of detectors that are now far superior to the X5.

Do a google search for "troy shadow x5 metal detector" and you'll learn more about them.

Attachments

• X5sideview.jpg
    X5sideview.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 823

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only recently sold both an X3 and an X5 but only because I wasn't sure where the repair situation was heading not that either ever had any problem.
Paint finish/build/waterproofing/light weight was and is still better than the majority of modern detectors and my X5 could match or beat the performance of the Tejon on coins and good performance wasn't so dependant on the conductivity of the target.

On the negative side there was always a lack of coil sizes/types (3) and the fact they are no longer produced meant no third party coils. The discrimination was also too narrow for easy European use as there was a set point where depth dropped off rather to quickly if you set a fraction above it and iron was a problem if a fraction below.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions