Teknetics T2

Willy

I suppose, if a person wants to hunt with the presets it can be that simple. But what if more settings are adjusted. I might be wrong, but I think that there's threshold (hum level), sensitivity, volume, tones, GB, disc. level.. any more? The thing is, I've found that the presets on every detector that I've used were not correct for me and the hunting I do. Now, someone who is fortunate enough to find the presets just the ticket would find such a detector to be a joy to use. Others might not.. to each thier own I suppose. ..Willy.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two Garrett detectors have pre-set as well as a custom mode that you can change the discrimination to about anything you want. However the ACE 250 has a factory pre-set ground balance tht you just have to live with. The 2500 has just about an adjustable anything as well as several preset programs, all of which can be reprogrammed. My BH Land Ranger has most of the bells and whistles but just doesn't have the depth or sensitivity of the Garrett machines. I think I have the field pretty well covered and have no intention of buying the T2, it's just very interested in anything new coming along. If it is hitting coins at 15" as claimed, it's pretty darn good as far as depth is concerned. Many of the forum members seem to relish depth over everything else and this should be of interest. As usual the manufacturers aren't paying much attention ot what the consumers want though thus the shortcomings of a $799.00 detector. But to many it may be just their cup of tea. I predict we are going to see a lot of inovative machines come out in the next year and I am anxious to see them. Monty

Willy

Ya know what? I've seen it happen over the years with every high profile release... amazing depth! Bring a backhoe! Deeper than a Nautilus! etc. Well, after all is said and done it's just another detector. When the MXT was released it was the same thing, same with the GTI's and various BBS/FBS detectors. Also, who can forget the X5; need a long handled shovel for that puppy. Now, that's not saying there isn't anything new under the sun. Wait till the Pulse Devil comes out. If it lives up to what's been reported, the depth fanatics might as well fire thier BBS/FBS, GTI, T2, Nautilus, etc. detectors into the closet. Imagine, true PI depth with vLF discrimination/ID. ...Willy.

suxbux

Mar 16, 2006
Hey Willy-I'm one of those so-called "stooges" who bought a T2. Namecalling because they don't own the same machine as you!? wow. You're wrong about everything you've said about them on this forum. First and foremost-I paid less than what you paid for your MXT, NOT MORE. I was going to get an M6 before I heard all the good stuff about the T2. My T2 was the same price as the M6.....The prices you are QUOTING are suggested retail and the dealers aren't allowed to show you how much you can get one for because of Teknetics policy. If you were to contact the right dealers you would know how reasonable they are. I suspect some are cutting into their own profit margin to do that-not sure. Best detector I've owned yet,and I've been doing this since I was young. I researched the T2 for a long time prior to purchase-and after recieving it, I can tell you it is even better than I had hoped. I don't think I'm stupid or a stooge for buying a T2. I also know White's are awesome detectors. I won't call you a stooge for owning one. The memory thing you complained about isn't worth mentioning as it takes about 2 seconds to set the machine on anything you want. It's not an issue at all. They did this to idiot-proof the machine I suspect and bring everything back to a default setting that is good for general hunting. It is quick and simple to set-up and use. There is no hassle.The quality is first rate and they are super light and comfortable to swing for extended periods. I suspect anyone who owns one is going to tell you similar things about the T2 so you may want to accept their decisions as I have found they are definitely NOT stooges-but smart fellas! Even if I do say so myself! haha Besides-I think the stooges had names like Larry-Mo, and Curly.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been price shopping for the Tecnetics T2 and found this dealer, www.metaldetector.cc/index.asp?PageActionVIEWPROD&PRODID=292

In case you can't get it to come up, it's Detector Electronics Corp, Sondra Bernzweig, Sales Rep. Comes with a carry case, digging tool and Audiomax headphones, and they pay shipping. Price $799.00 OTD. Just for anyone who is tired of dealing witih another distributor. They also advertise they will beat or match anyone else's price. I haven't used them so you may be able to bargain? Monty

JohnnyThunders

May 10, 2005
I see most of the people that like the T2 are mostly newbies on the site,so I feel that there
are a few people are pushing the detector.{mostly from bounty hunter lol}..
I am glad bounty hunter came out with the T2 so maybe Whites and Garretts will
Come out with something new.
If you want a Cheap Lawn Tractor you would go to walmarts or kmarts and buy a MTD fot $700
Or you can buy a Club Cadet or Troy Built for $2000 or more........They are ALL built by MTD a
very Cheap company when you want to buy a lawn mower or tractor...
Just Like Bounty Hunter that they have the T2

LilloEsquilo

May 2, 2006
I find it interesting that most people knocking the machine have never actually tried it.

For your information, I've used most Minelabs, a few Whites and also a couple Bounty Hunters. The last machine I owned prior to a T2 was an Explorer II. I have no doubt whatsoever that selling the Explorer and getting the T2 was right for me. Why? The T2 is MUCH lighter and better balanced. It has very little learning curve. It has fantastic depth in mineralized soil like we have in my area (so does the Explorer). It is MUCH easier to get up and running with (although the Explorer can be pretty much turn on and go if you want) and it can fish the goodies out from the trash better than the Explorer could. I know that, because I've been back to sites I've used my Explorer and found stuff I didn't with the Explorer. Typically it was borderline stuff that was next to iron or other junk. Pinpointing is a lot easier despite having a DD coil like the Explorer (ever pinpointed with one of those?). And really the machine just brings back the fun factor that was missing as you are spending time detecting not worrying about programming your machine so much.

I prefer my T2 to anything else I've tried I find goodies I overlooked, my arm doesn't have to be like Popeye to swing it, and it's fun.

But, I will say that I kinda think it's good that it's getting overlooked, because it does have outstanding depth and ability to see the goodies in the iron, so that means potentially more goodies for me to find in the areas I like to hunt. So I should probably shut my mouth about it. And no, I don't sell them I don't own stock in any company that does, I simply own one and am glad I bought it.

Willy

Well, if it comes down to brand loyalty, I own 3 different detectors (Garrett, Whites, Minelab), and am in the process of selling the Whites. "Stooges" is a generic term that implies an agenda of some sort. Whether a person feels they fit the description (or not) is their call. When it comes to a metal detector, I know what I'm looking for and what doesn't pass muster. Others might have different criteria and more power to them. In regards to the T2, I can't comment on depth, responsiveness, ID, etc. Such things are generally determined by actually using a detector. I can, however, comment on aspects that I'm familiar with. Having used many detectors, I can comment, with some authority, on what works over my ground and with my detecting style/types. There are a number of other detectors that I would dismiss out of hand, for my purposes, and if owners of said detectors get all huffy and puffy over that... tough. It would be analogous to my preferring a 4x4 for cruising logging roads and such; stating that a mustang convertible would not be my choice. I don't have to buy the 'stang to reach this conclusion and if someone has a differing opinion.. great; it doesn't change anything. ..Willy BTW. I didn't single anyone out for "stoogedom", but if the shoe fits...

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't tried the T2, but I have read some very good posts about it from forum to forum. I camp here but cruise some others just to see what's happening. I am mostly impressed by the depth it is being reported that it will reach a coin, as much as 15 to 16". Depth is not my thing though and I seldom dig over 6 or 7", but depth is a must for many on the forum, or so they say. I would sure like to get my hands on a T-2 to verify or belay all the things I desire in a detector. So, won't some poor trusting soul send me one to test? I promise to give it back some day! Monte

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I have owned and or still own one of almost every top brand of detector from every manufacturer out there at one time or another. Today I took the plunge and ordered the T2. All of this talk I had to see for my self what I thought of it. I have a DFX, X5 , and a Explorer for land machines now and they all have there uses. When I get the T2 I will let you know what I think of it. If I like it i will keep it if not there is always Ebay.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I'm a bit late on this thread, but...

I just got off the phone with a NY detector dealer that does a lot of sales in several of the major brands (Fisher, Tesoro, Minelab, etc). We were discussing what models would be good for my needs, but I finally got talking to him about what detector he uses himself. He has a Teknetics T2 and he said it's his absolute favorite right now. It seems he has his choice of any detector out there, but he said he loves the T2 and has had excellent results with it.

Looks like I've got more detector to add to my ever-growing wish list. Nice to dream ;D

J

jeff@middlesex

I use a t2 as well. Killer machine,just absolute detector heaven to use.

B

bdoubled

I have heard ugly rumors that some T2 forums delete any negative comments about the T2. I certainly hope they are not true. A Belgian comparison, however, shows that the T2 falls short of other detectors in the same price range (over there) and is much more susceptible to EMI.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bdoubled said:
I have heard ugly rumors that some T2 forums delete any negative comments about the T2. I certainly hope they are not true. A Belgian comparison, however, shows that the T2 falls short of other detectors in the same price range (over there) and is much more susceptible to EMI.

These are the kinds of things I always like to know about before taking the plunge and buying something expensive. :o

Do you have a link for that comparison? I'm just curious to see what it says about other brands.

J

jeff@middlesex

Here is a shot of the test. In German or Dutch not sure.As with all tests I would have to know the setup, experience etc. I do use the T2 but I also sell them so lets be fair about this and show our cards here. But I am a treasure hunter and my time is valuable. So when I go out my machine better work and it better work good or it won't be my machine for long. I posted some finds on the www.findmall.com forum about my finds. it does suffer from RF under powerlines or near towers, like many machines do. Here is the test. If you have any questions about the T2 let me know. Don't make any judgement on hearsay or I heard from a friends brother who had one. This machine finds stuff, big time
Jeff
sexcelfile2tz.jpg

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By now there area a few that have a few months experience with the T-2. Won't someone jump in and do a complete write up and evaluatin now? Monty

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I got a new T2 used it for two months at various different sites. Got a good deal on it so thought I would try one out.
I have a buddy that sells detectors and he tried to warn me that I should wait on buying one but I had to give it a try. The
thing is useless in trashy areas with the big coil. It is light and easy to swing the only good thing about it. It will go nuts if you get it near
EMI. It does not work at all on wet salt beaches,OK in the dry stuff, but terrible in the wet. I got it to relic hunt with and I own or have owned
one of about every high end detector out there. It is light and would be perfect for relic hunting I though. I used it with some success in clean areas away from powerlines. but if you get into trashy areas or areas with a lot of Iron forget it. The straw that broke the camels back for me was relic hunting one day. near some power lines I hunted with the T2 for about 4 hrs and had found one modern bullet laying on top of the ground and it was a scratchy tone on it covered by the EMI interference. I went back to the truck and got out my Shadow X5 and recovered lots of modern bullets and three civil war bullets in about a hour. It went on ebay that night and it still had the blank warranty card and only brought $550. If you are thinking about buying one of these I will tell you the same thing I was told don't. You would be better of with a ace 250 you can buy extra coils for it and still come out cheaper and with a better detector than the T2. Just my thoughts. If I had to do it again I would not give $100 for a new one.

R

rvbvetter

Good info Swing. I had given this detector some thought. Your report came just in time. I'll be sticking with the ones I have for the time being. Thank you HH

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
I have a Teknetics T2...

I just got it a couple of weeks ago and it really is a high end machine imo. I also have a Soverign GT with digimeter and SR inline probe and I have a Tejon.
The T2 has a learning curve like any other detector and after spending a little time with it I can tell you that it will hold it's own with either the GT or the Tejon and out do either in certian areas #1 being comfort. It is so well balanced and light thaat I can swing it with two fingers and not even notice that I am doing it. It has a tone steeing that is specially for id-ing steel bottle caps and that is a good thing. It can tell the difference between pulltabs and nickles. It will absolutely id a dime, penny, or quarter. It goes deep and work's very well in iron and trash. They have recently done a revision in the software too so any old reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. It really is an impressive machine.
The visual and tone id work independent of each other so onve you begin to learn them it is like having two detectors working at once. It has 7 tone settings that work in different ways. Some settings give you all the sound and some use samples and some use a combo. Learning to switch between tone settings can help you to id a target.
I have been a diehard Soverign GT user and frankly will never get rid of my GT but i can say the same for the T2. Compared to the Tejon... the T2 is just as sensitive and deep seeking but lighter with more id capability. The T2 is so sensitive that it will chatter in some places and set to it's highest sens it can even pick it's own internal interference, this is however... not a problem but rather a plus that it is actually that sensitive. you can tell outside electrical interference from ground mineral chatter by holding the coil in place. If it chatters while it's still then you have electrical interference and you can switch between 7 different frequencies and lower the sens if needed.
I never worry about lowering the sens as I have found even with the GT that sometimes a lower sens is more stable and will result in more finds.
I live in an area, NW GA with high iron content and a lot of hot rocks. I can drag a magnet 3ft through my front yard and it will be covered in small rocks... i've done it. The T2 has no problem with that you just have to dial it in.
Don't let the BH legacy scare you away from the T2... the T2 is a class machine. Check out some of the other forums, one in particular has a Teknetics T2 forum. I will not provide a link, as that might not be appreciated but you can find it...

I will post this link though... http://www.tekneticst2.com/home.sstg

HH,

Julien

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Swingmydfx,

All I can say is WOW! I have a T2 and I don't know what you are talking about. I live in Germany right now and I hunt in more trash and iron than would be found in most parts of America (Germany is oooold). I have zero problem in iron. I mean zero. I very very rarely dig anything iron. The T2 is probably one of the, if not the, fastest detectors out there. I can't keep up with it sometimes (in trash). I have pulled very small coins out where there are 4 very close signals a few times. I have a Nautilus IIB, no other id detectors, so perhaps I feel spoiled but I really don't know how you could have had such a bad experience. I'm not loyal to any detector. I'd actually love to get the next minelab or dfx and probably will, but I have to defend the T2 here.
Yes, the coil is big but it's not concentric, it's more DD and it does great, absolutely incredible for it's size. I can't imagine what a small coil will be like. The separation can't get any better but a small coil would narrow down all that I'm hearing. True about RF interference, but I have done a fair amount of detecting next to a train line with overhead powerlines running through with success. But, it is sensitive and I could imagine it being a problem in some areas. It does get a bit chattery on occasion but I always manage to calm it down. I still run the sensitivity at 50% max almost anywhere. I am pulling out small bronze coins with no problems in parks here, often in trash.
All of the modes are awesome, it is like having two detectors in one. I like checking targets with the 3b mode (bottle cap reject mode). Great pinpointing though the DD coil means I have to usually do it from two directions to be safe, but it's no problem time wise.
I haven't dug much deeper than 6" but I'm getting very strong signals at that depth operation at 60% so I know it will hit much much deeper.
I guess I've seen bad posts about all detectors but it's hard to believe such and incredible detector did nothing for you. My gripe: no night light and I would like the option to swing it slower (using db mode does allow that to a point though).

Sincerley,
Albert

swingingmydfx said:
I got a new T2 used it for two months at various different sites. Got a good deal on it so thought I would try one out.
I have a buddy that sells detectors and he tried to warn me that I should wait on buying one but I had to give it a try. The
thing is useless in trashy areas with the big coil. It is light and easy to swing the only good thing about it. It will go nuts if you get it near
EMI. It does not work at all on wet salt beaches,OK in the dry stuff, but terrible in the wet. I got it to relic hunt with and I own or have owned
one of about every high end detector out there. It is light and would be perfect for relic hunting I though. I used it with some success in clean areas away from powerlines. but if you get into trashy areas or areas with a lot of Iron forget it. The straw that broke the camels back for me was relic hunting one day. near some power lines I hunted with the T2 for about 4 hrs and had found one modern bullet laying on top of the ground and it was a scratchy tone on it covered by the EMI interference. I went back to the truck and got out my Shadow X5 and recovered lots of modern bullets and three civil war bullets in about a hour. It went on ebay that night and it still had the blank warranty card and only brought $550. If you are thinking about buying one of these I will tell you the same thing I was told don't. You would be better of with a ace 250 you can buy extra coils for it and still come out cheaper and with a better detector than the T2. Just my thoughts. If I had to do it again I would not give $100 for a new one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread