Review VIPER TRIDENT

chunteriii

Dec 27, 2005
St.Petersburg Florida
I bought one, my first detector, from kellyco. I use it about once a week at various pinellas county florida beaches, mostly Fort Desoto. My finds are mostly bottle caps, pull tabs, cans, a newer coins, and a pair of sun glasses. It seems to work fine with low discrimination down to about 8" in the dry sand, in wet sand maybe 4-5 inches are the deepest I've hit. I dig every target and always find enough coin to cover the tolls. It does give false tones in wet sand and needs to be turned off and on again to quite them, in trashy areas in gives a none stop tone that can not be reset so I can't hunt there! I've waded with it and its ok in shallow water but I've no water finds? All in all I'd give it a 5 out of 10, it fit my budget at the time, does find stuff and is simple to use but do wish I'd done more research and bought a better unit. I'll keep using it until I can afford a top of the line one a pass this along to my granddaughter. It works but is not high tech. I would not recommend it since it cost 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a top o the line name brand, just bit the bullet and by one you'll be happy with for a long time. Cliff

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
semperfi61 said:
vipers, mpx and titans are all chinese dets.---------------do not waste your money on these.

Again, the Titans are made in El Paso texas

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes ... they are a POS and a total waste of money.
I was foolish enough to buy one and threw it away.
I would be ashamed to give one of these to someone even as a gift.

You can buy them as low as $60 and if they last 10 minutes underwater you are lucky.
The will not detect anything smaller than a Ford F-150 truck over 3" from the coil.

Does that answer your question about the Viper Trident, The Famous Trails underwater detector, and the other names this junk is sold under?

Willee

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
Are these the "New Improved" 2010 models? (Kellyco $299) From their literature they seem alright but there is nothing like experiance!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a reason they are only $299. You are better off paying $299 for a good used detector then buying the viper. You can pick up a good Minelab Sovereign GT used for a few hundred more, it isn't water proof either, but Sovereign GT can not be beat in the wet sand and up to mid calf if surf isn't rough.

The literature is like a "slick" used car salesman, they are designed to get you to buy it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter is wise. There are good reasons why the ads give fantastic claims for these detectors as it is all profit and newbies don't know the difference and shop by the cheap price. Stick to the name brand detectors like Minelab, Garrett, Tesoro and Whites. Though you will never get a Tesoro from the this company. :hello:

The name brand detectors all have real warranties if anything ever goes wrong and the customer service is great.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone absolutely "must" try one, buy The Neptune from Walmart. It's only 50 bux and you can return it when it breaks the first or second time you use it. You will only be out the $.97 shipping.

wyobuck

Dec 1, 2009
Orange City, FL
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, Xterra 705, Surf PI DF
I have a Viper Trident, I bought it with a CZ3D from Kellyco, When the CZ stopped working on my third trip to the beach, I took out the Viper and found coins in both dry sand and in shin deep water. Returned the CZ and got a Xterra 705. When it malfunctioned after a week, I took out the Viper and found coins in dry and wet sand. Took the 705 back to Kellyco and got another one. After 3 months when the second 705 wouldn't turn on, I took out the Viper and found coins in dry and wet sand. I sent the 705 back to Vegas and they replaced it. The third one is a charm and is still working after 6 months. So is the Viper! Go figure. :dontknow: Its a simple machine that seems to work fine. Did have a few problems with junk, but I just turned down the sens. Worked great in the shallow water with no ground balance control, except when a wave came by, but don't they all? :hello2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wyobuck said:
Its a simple machine that seems to work fine. Did have a few problems with junk, but I just turned down the sens. Worked great in the shallow water with no ground balance control, except when a wave came by, but don't they all? :hello2:

Waves do not affect my 2 Excals or either of my Sovereign GTs, one of which is waterproofed.... :icon_thumright:

seadoodiver

Apr 23, 2010
Fort Myers Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Just bought a used Trident land and sea from ebay. $200.00 Have not used it yet. I keep reading all the reviews and it appears 50/50 if its a good machine or not. I will keep making posts on how well it does or does not work. Stay tuned.
Jeff
Cape Coral FL

seadoodiver

Apr 23, 2010
Fort Myers Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Jury is in. The Viper Trident worked just fine. I used it today in all conditions. On the beach, in the shallows near the beach and I took it down to about 15 ft of depth and it picked up trash, to pennies to beer caps to lead sinkers. It is a low end water proof model, but it works just fine for me today.
Jeff
Cape Coral FL

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with it.

I am sure it responds to metal, the question is how well it responds to the deep gold and silver, and how smal of a target it will respond to. My excal pulled up a .06 gram 10k ladies pinkie ring over 8 inches deep at surf line couple weeks ago, it gave a good solid signal even though it was really tiny, and deep....

The $200 you spent is 1/3 of $600 which is what I have in that excal, including a used 15 inch WOT coil and custom straight shaft. I could sell it today for $800 easily, and I bet I could still get what I have in it 2 years from now....

Wish you best of luck with it....

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
LX Kid said:
Are these the "New Improved" 2010 models? (Kellyco $299) From their literature they seem alright but there is nothing like experience!

On second thought ... I think everyone should buy and use one.
I had a new one ... Know where they are made ... and know how they work.
I would rather see a whole beach full of Viper Tridents sweeping the sand and water than two hunters with Excaliburs.

Willee

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willee said:
LX Kid said:
Are these the "New Improved" 2010 models? (Kellyco $299) From their literature they seem alright but there is nothing like experience!

On second thought ... I think everyone should buy and use one.
I had a new one ... Know where they are made ... and know how they work.
I would rather see a whole beach full of Viper Tridents sweeping the sand and water than two hunters with Excaliburs.

Willee

Same here............. :icon_thumright:

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Minelab Soveriegn Elite, Minelab 305
They are Made in CHINA.......It clearly says so on the detector. Save your time and money and skip these. I had it for 4 days sent it back, bit the bullet and got the Minelab.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where can I find some one to trade a bunch of harley parts for a GOOD waterproof detector??...
Go to TreasureNet marketplace forum, then to charter members classified, then to "treasure related stuff wanted", start thread there asking about trade.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread