Newbie Needs Some Help

badbronco

Greenie
Jul 12, 2010
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
I'm so lost, and my head is spinning so much.... Figured I'd post someting and see if anyone could help.

I've spent days on Kellyco's site, and called them today. Explained that I was looking to MD on a beach, and it's been 9 years since I owned one (Garrett Scorpion back when I was in GPA a million yrs ago). I'm basically learning everything from scratch again *sigh*

They initially steered me towards the Bounty Hunter 505 and MPX. After a couple more hours of reading and head spinning, my wife suggested I call in brand new, and speak to someone else to see what they recommended. Sure enough, the 2nd person pretty much told me that the Bounty Hunter wouldn't work on the beach (wet sand) due to minerals, and that I had to drop 400+ into this on a White's. After asking more about it, she eventually told me that people DO use it, but turn the sensitivity down.

I'm not looking to spend a zillion bucks, but don't mind spending enough to make sure I don't get a TOY. I live on the coast and I'm going to Florida in August/September and was thinking about MD'ing in Sebastian area.

Anyone have any suggestions on detectors, it would be appreciated. My head is spinning and I'm off to find the excedrine :(

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
badbronco said:
I'm so lost, and my head is spinning so much.... Figured I'd post someting and see if anyone could help.

I've spent days on Kellyco's site, and called them today. Explained that I was looking to MD on a beach, and it's been 9 years since I owned one (Garrett Scorpion back when I was in GPA a million yrs ago). I'm basically learning everything from scratch again *sigh*

They initially steered me towards the Bounty Hunter 505 and MPX. After a couple more hours of reading and head spinning, my wife suggested I call in brand new, and speak to someone else to see what they recommended. Sure enough, the 2nd person pretty much told me that the Bounty Hunter wouldn't work on the beach (wet sand) due to minerals, and that I had to drop 400+ into this on a White's. After asking more about it, she eventually told me that people DO use it, but turn the sensitivity down.

I'm not looking to spend a zillion bucks, but don't mind spending enough to make sure I don't get a TOY. I live on the coast and I'm going to Florida in August/September and was thinking about MD'ing in Sebastian area.

Anyone have any suggestions on detectors, it would be appreciated. My head is spinning and I'm off to find the excedrine :(

How often will you be detecting on a beach? If your only going to be on a beach for a few weeks a year, then it's not really worth it to fork out the money to get a pure water proof beach machine. The Minelab Sovereign GT is the best wet-sand detector, but it is also a great land detector. You will not be able to take it into deep water, but can hunt the wet sand and as deep in the water as you feel comfortable, but know that if you drop it in the water or a wave hits it, it will make an expensive paper weight....

As far as Sebastian area goes, know that it has recently been resanded (10+ feet of new sand) this past spring and the odds are you will only find recent drops on the beach. It is also hunted hard......You can only hunt from mean low tide line to toe of the dunes.......

By the way, welcome to TreasureNet......:icon_thumright:

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You will be hard pressed to find better value for money beach machines than the Sovereign XS, SOV Gt, and Excalibur. these detectors will do a pretty fair job in the gold fields and parks, gardens and school grounds.
most if not all of the standard vlf ground balancing detectors will not handle the wet salt conditions (be noisy n chattery). the Whites BHID and latter versions are set up for salt beach work and work very well. The Fisher 1280 X is better suited for fresh water conditions but dose not like high mineralisation. Any of the beach dedicated PI detectors are great and get very good depth in salt conditions but they lack good discrimination; If you are a Dig it all detectorist then a PI is the way to go for salt beach detecting, they will however find every bit of scrap iron on the beach and at depths you wouldn't believe (fish hooks and bobby pins at well past a foot) if you want a PI for beach detecting and do not want to have to fiddle with settings then keep away from the ground balancing PIs as these are better suited for gold field mineral conditions.

Cheers,
Adrian SS

OP
OP
badbronco

badbronco

Greenie
Jul 12, 2010
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Willy said:
Buy a used CZ or Sov. (unless you're diving) from the classifieds and save a pile of cash (and get a good detector to boot). An MXT or XTerra 50/505/70/705 would probably also do good. ..Willy.

Well, the only thing that scares me with electronics, is I don't know enough about them and don't have the recent experience to know how to truely test one out. Also, the only thing I've found around here in the paper/Craigslist that's in my price range is the GTAx 550... Not sure if that would work. I'm just nervous buying used. You don't ever know if it's been dropped in the water or not...

I guess I don't necessarily HAVE to have one for wet sand. I guess my thinking was to get one that was capable of as much as possible that wouldn't limit me. Probably a common newbie thought until they see the prices...

Treasure_Hunter said:
How often will you be detecting on a beach? If your only going to be on a beach for a few weeks a year, then it's not really worth it to fork out the money to get a pure water proof beach machine. The Minelab Sovereign GT is the best wet-sand detector, but it is also a great land detector. You will not be able to take it into deep water, but can hunt the wet sand and as deep in the water as you feel comfortable, but know that if you drop it in the water or a wave hits it, it will make an expensive paper weight....

As far as Sebastian area goes, know that it has recently been resanded (10+ feet of new sand) this past spring and the odds are you will only find recent drops on the beach. It is also hunted hard......You can only hunt from mean low tide line to toe of the dunes.......

By the way, welcome to TreasureNet......:icon_thumright:

Thanks for the warm welcome :) I've lurked here for YEARS... That's how I found out about the Garrett Scorpion :) I live by the coast and I'm at the beach fishing EVER weekend (without fail) so when the fishing is slow, I thought I could go down on the beach for an hour here and there, or in the afternoons after work head down. I'm guessing I'd be going a few times a month easily.... not to mention in fields and some areas out in the country. I have some friends that have alot of land and have told me to come on by, no problems...

Adrian SS said:
You will be hard pressed to find better value for money beach machines than the Sovereign XS, SOV Gt, and Excalibur. these detectors will do a pretty fair job in the gold fields and parks, gardens and school grounds.
most if not all of the standard vlf ground balancing detectors will not handle the wet salt conditions (be noisy n chattery). the Whites BHID and latter versions are set up for salt beach work and work very well. The Fisher 1280 X is better suited for fresh water conditions but dose not like high mineralisation. Any of the beach dedicated PI detectors are great and get very good depth in salt conditions but they lack good discrimination; If you are a Dig it all detectorist then a PI is the way to go for salt beach detecting, they will however find every bit of scrap iron on the beach and at depths you wouldn't believe (fish hooks and bobby pins at well past a foot) if you want a PI for beach detecting and do not want to have to fiddle with settings then keep away from the ground balancing PIs as these are better suited for gold field mineral conditions.

Cheers,
Adrian SS

Yah, unfortunately, those aren't found used around here, and are a little out of my price range. I'm sure if I get something in my price range, and do well (ie doesn't sit in a closet) the wife would let me go more. I have 4 younger kids, who are ALL really into finding cool stuff and are egging me on. I should get them to help me pay for it huh :)

so... what about the GTAx 550... any good? I see they're about $409 at Kellyco... Could I use it effectively in the sand, fields and maybe even wet sand (with some fiddling?) I have 4 kids who are MORE than ready to do some digging... :)

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't feel badly. I get a lot of mixed signals from Kellyco also.

If you are looking to metal detect on dry and wet sand only, the best machine I think Kellyco has that will not break the bank is the X Terra 305. It is a great "turn-on-and-go" machine (but read the manual first).

I have used the 305 extensively and it works great on wet and dry sand.

The 305 also does a great job on dry land (parks, schools, etc.).

If you want to go into the surf, the price starts going up considerably. The Fisher CZ and the Minelab Excalibur are the two most popular, with the Excal often being the choice of most. You can sometimes find a used one for around $700 (new over $1000) but it has no warranty unless you buy it new.

Good luck!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[/quote]

Yah, unfortunately, those aren't found used around here, and are a little out of my price range. I'm sure if I get something in my price range, and do well (ie doesn't sit in a closet) the wife would let me go more. I have 4 younger kids, who are ALL really into finding cool stuff and are egging me on. I should get them to help me pay for it huh :)

so... what about the GTAx 550... any good? I see they're about $409 at Kellyco... Could I use it effectively in the sand, fields and maybe even wet sand (with some fiddling?) I have 4 kids who are MORE than ready to do some digging... :)

[/quote]

The GTA 550 at the beach? Not so good. Too much chatter near wet sand.

Willy

TreasureNet Classifieds! Try to get a detector off a long time member who also has a reputation to uphold.. can't really go wrong. There are also other forums (don't know if I'm allowed to mention them so I won't), though many detectors are cross-posted. So far and, due to the absolutely terrible ground where I hunt (even ML PI's struggle), I've bought/sold many a detector on the Classifieds here with no problems. GTA 550.. 2 thumbs down (for your intended use). ..Willy.

OP
OP
badbronco

badbronco

Greenie
Jul 12, 2010
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
I understand what you mean about buying used. I normally will. Problem isn't so much 'shady sellers' either. It's electronics, and they can go in the blink of an eye. Even during shipping or could be on the way out and the prior owner may have had no idea. I prefer to buy things like this new when I can...and get a warranty...

Having said that, I've been REALLY leaning towards the Minelabs, mainly because of their reputation and they have been known to do well in high mineralization.

About 5 minutes ago, I ordered the Xterra 305. Feel confident with all the overall positive reviews (barring the few that will run around and say I should have gotten an ACE) and the company's track record...and well...being a Minelab... I did ok.

I'll be tinkering with it by the weekend for sure :)

PS. Got the 'free goodies' shipped free too from where I ordered it from =oP

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to mention, good water detectors do show up here on the for sale board. I have see couple excals for $600-$750 popup lately, one of my excals I got for $475 used in Oct 2009.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions