Pulse Star II Pro - Review of Professional Relic Detector

Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
As I have not seen a review of this detector, I feel an obligation to give it a fair review as a trail hardened user. Because I'm not technically a treasure hunter, I think I can give an unbiased review.

Lets start first with the manufacture's website at:
http://www.tb-electronic.de/start/index2.html
In the US the only distibutor is the excellent Kellyco people.
http://www.kellycodetectors.com

I'm a meteorite field researcher and hunter, so I can say with authority that this unit is great for meteorites. Its price point is at $2,000 vs $5000 for the competitor's Lorentz unit.

Second, the technology. This is a PI machine. As in Pulse Induction, that gives you greater depth and less trouble from minerals. The coils are induction auto-matched to the unit to give greatest performance. Those who have tried to build PI units, you will understand the benifits. Battery life is 10 hours before recharge. Recharger is supplied for dual 220/110 voltages.

Third, the coils. The unit comes with a 1m x 1m coil. Thats 3.28'x3.28' for those not up to speed yet. This is not a rod mounted coil, but one that must be put on a frame or carried. There is a 2m x 2m coil that can be bought to cover ground faster. The exciting thing about this coil is that it can be converted into a 1m x 3m coil to cover a 3m swath of ground and only forfeit depth back to a 1mx1m coil. The coils work best when mounted on a PVC pipe frame with all plastic wheels and parts. It is possible to attach a frame to an ATV and drive. But you must drive VERY SLOWLY or you miss targets, as in walking speeds. I know, I've missed some meteorites this way; then found the one I missed when I rechecked by walking the coil later.

For DIY people, a 3m x 3m coil is possible, similar to the 3x3 coil available with the Lorentz unit. However, unless your after a buried Sherman Tank, there's really no need for bigger coils, the 2x2 is great. Remember most man-buried targets are at 1m or less. Also, at 2m x 2m interference becomes more of a problem.

When locating a target, the big coil is not good for pinpointing. Best thing to do is use a landscape flag and flag several targets. After 10 or so you need to use smaller coil (or your trusty hand held detector) to find the targets. The unit comes with 3 other coil options a 45cm coil a 25cm coil (recommended by me) and a probe. The 45cm and 25cm coils are rod mounted just like a normal hand held. I like the 25cm coil as it really goes deep and its small enough for pinpointing. On coils I give it 4 stars. I'd like to have seen a 1.5 x 1.5m coil and a standard 3x3m coil.

Fourth, the control unit. The unit is well engineered for rough use. The control box is in a leather protective case, the plugs and speakers are smartly positioned. The control box has 4 knobs of which you only tweek one - the tuner during field operation. It has a reset button that must be used when the ground mineralization changes drasticly, otherwise it ignores mineralization. Coverering burnt earth is one thing it reacts too as if it were high mineralization. Burnt ground is common here in Texas when brush is pushed into a pile and burnt to clear land. Just don't reset the unit over metal/burnt ground or you desensitize it, just like a VLF detector. So for simplicity, I give it 5 stars.

OK, the Depth issue. With a 2m x 2m coil the depth is advertized at 5 meters. In this case, the reality is the same - my friend in South America has retrieved a iron meteorite at 5m depth. I forgot to ask him the size of the target. But I did mention that that's not metal detecting, that's mining!

From my own experience, the 1m x 1m coil detected a corroded chain at 1.25m depth which I dug with great expectation and although disappointed by the target, I gave the unit new respect. Another friend found a iron meteorite at a fairly shallow 2.6m (~8 ft). In my field experience this detector has great depth to smaller targets than advertized. That's a rare trait in a manufacturer.

Discrimination. Well, this is a PI unit, so the discrimination is poor. Thats a systemic shortcoming of all PI units. the Pulse Star has 2 LEDs that will come on if the target is big enough and you are using the 1mx1m coil. FERROUS and NON-FERROUS. Basicly, its a conductivity measurement. On Descrim, I give it 2 star. They did what they could.

Support and Warrenty. There is a US 1year warrenty. The manufacturer will also provide some tech support for those who have already bought a Pulse Star II unit. I know this first hand, as I corresponded with their engineer about some optimization issues.

Overall I give this 4.5 stars.

(attached is a picture of a 1.35kg iron meteorite - If you stumble across something like this - write me)

Attachments

• deport 1-3c-x.jpg
    deport 1-3c-x.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 6,727

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very good read kudos to you 8)

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old Pulse Star II of about 15 years ago had a very large range of coils from one inch to an eight footer. Discrimination did work but the tone /light system needed a target of at least clenched fist size to work.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I second that. Great review and thanks for posting your thoughts and information about this detector.

George

Stardude

Sep 4, 2009
Just came across this topic while looking for some info on the Pulse Star II Pro - I haven't been able too find the info: more on that at the end, as it is potentially a big negative for this unit in many cases.

The reviewer claims to speak with authority regarding the application of this metal detector to find meteorites and he states he isn't treasure hunting, "technically".

I appreciate any effort too help. However the reviewer says it is a good metal detector for hunting meteorites - his area of expertise. I also have experience with it as, it turns out, for meteorite hunting. This metal detector is garbage for 90% of the meteorites. So I honestly question the authority of the claim the reviewer as a "meteorite field researcher".

He mentions iron meteorites, and this is good. Because this detector only works with Iron meteorites and Stony-Iron meteorites. Plain "Stony meteorites" represent over 90% of all meteorites. This detector, as the reviewer mentioned, will be very effective in ignoring ground mineralization. That is exactly how most stony meteorites register - so they are ignored, by it, which is no surprise. If the reviewer doesn't mind missing 90% of his field research targets - well, no more need be said. Given the reviewer's lack of completeness regarding meteorites, I would question, but not discount, the reviewer's self-claimed experience. Personally, I don't particularly like this detector as the large coil is flimsy, and there is a design flaw with the wire which gives spurious signals. But there is a fix, so no big deal. There are other machines out there similar in price. This is nothing special. BTW Lorenz kicks its rear - that's in another class. You get what you pay for and I would best describe this as an entry level PI detector. It seems nicely made and I agree with the reviewer that the discrimination by design is lousy. It doesn't even get ferrous/nonferrous right 25% of the time. Oh, the handle that attaches to the coil-rod is a cheap piece of garbage, it breaks off easily, especially if you work in places that get below 40 degrees F. So carry low temp quick drying epoxy.

Maybe the reviewer has limited experience finding Deport Irons or something, anyways I found myself appreciating his effort but thinking a word of caution really needs to be thrown in before anyone thinks they will get anything besides a lot of work (as usual) and need some luck (as usual) when plunking down $2500 - $3500 for this. Don't pull the trigger before looking both ways - final advice.

As for Kellyco - they are the Wal-Mart of metal detectors. That' great if you know what you want. But if you are in the market for this sort of detector, you would be better off doing independent research rather than depending on them or anyone else who makes a living by selling units.

OK, now for the potentially bad news which is not part of the review but rather more a question. This metal detector has a smaller size lead-acid storage cell something like a motorcycle would use. That is why it lasts so long. You wear it around your neck or belt so that is not really a problem, though it of course if heavier. BUT ... try flying with it. Maybe you'll be lucky and no one will notice if you check it inside your luggage. Try to carry it on and you will create a scene and probably miss your flight if you want to keep your battery. Or just bring a wheelchair and say the battery powers it - that is the only exception permit ed on most airlines for this type of battery ... technically. Result may vary as you all know the TSA. The point is, it is not simple to pack to go find the Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and international flights ... can't say since I've been afraid to try it. I would have liked to a few times... Again ... results may vary.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread