Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Radio Shack model?

gwyatt1

Mar 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rainbow

I have one of these Rainbows. My father died in 1976 and I my mother let me have this metal detector. Rainbow Mfg Co. used to be located in Albuquerque, NM. I know we lived there in 1973, so I am sure my father bought it then. I know that I have had this since May of 1976 and it was my father's favorite metal detector.

I know this post was made a long time ago, but I have just started researching this company as well. I know this is an antique, but I want to know more about it and the company, but I have been told it isn't worth anything. I don't know why it wouldn't be being it is at least almost 40 years old (from 1976).

If you are still interested in talking, I would like to find out more about this metal detector as well. Thank you.

hello, I just bought this detector at a flee market and it is really hard to find any info on it. does anyone out there own this detector? I would love to hear any info that you all have.

thanks

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a metal/mineral detector, the circuitry comes from the late 60's to late 70's. It is good for mineral ID, but don't expect more than 3" in depth.. It has a combo course/fine potentiometer which usually drifts a lot during use and has to be retuned often. It will however, handle bad soil as well as good soil with little difference in performance. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Chutmaster

Oct 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you still there Larry?

It's a metal/mineral detector, the circuitry comes from the late 60's to late 70's. It is good for mineral ID, but don't expect more than 3" in depth.. It has a combo course/fine potentiometer which usually drifts a lot during use and has to be retuned often. It will however, handle bad soil as well as good soil with little difference in performance. :icon_thumleft:

Hi Larry- I'm hoping you can provide me with more info. on the RAINBOW MACH I metal detector.? I bought one from a guy in NM. Thanks. -Chuck

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have one too. It is just a straight TR with no discrimination. Will not handle mineralized ground very well. One of the first models ever to o have the push button for instant retune.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
That machine was good for finding the just out of sight stuff, not deep at all.

It is in great look shape though, I think there is a manual on here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread