j3cwill

Greenie
Aug 9, 2009
Richmond, IN
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the general consensus is to use discrimination around 16 for the best unmasking while still eliminating nails. I usually try to run discrimination of 1 with 2 tones for older sights. If I am in a trashy area or a tot lot, I run discrimination of 16 with 4 tone.

The Omega is a fun machine, so enjoy it :D

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
The d2 mode will go deeper than the d3 or d4 mode. The modulated sound of the d2 mode is a favorite of mine when I'm in areas with deeper and older things potentially, not to mention lots of iron. The d3 and d4 modes are probably best suited for parks. You will listen for beeps between the trash there (I hear). I always check my targets in mode d4 though, and listen for a crisp clear sound. That helps to narrow down most coin finds. Also, the d3 and d4 modes are amplified, you may think they are as deep or deeper than the d2 mode but it's not true. A soft sounding hit in d2 mode might get softer or nothing in d3 or d4 mode.

The Omega is an absolutely incredible detector and I prefer it for coins over the T2, even other high end machines. It's deep and ID's well (though not at depth, except with silver I've noticed).

Good luck.

OP
OP
D

digging41

Sep 7, 2008
Thanks guys for the input will definitely have to try these suggestions out. So far though I really like the 8000.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Omega 8000......I've owned too many to even remember, a good detector is like a pair of shoes, everyone has their favorite brand, and will be quick to argue how one is better than the other.

IMO, the Omega 8k totally out performs the tesoro cortes (which I swung for 4 years prior to owning this one). The additional cost of the 11" DD coil (imo) is a must have item along with the stock coil.

Over the past 10-15 years, my mothers house (circa 1890) has been hunted to death by many of our family as most of us own metal detectors, my first trip with my new Omega 8k produced a wheatie, .22 caliber casing, a key, and 2-3 pieces of scrap, all metal mode, zero discrimination. IMO, it's a great grab and go, all around detector, the TID is spot-on every time, if it says 76, you can bet it's a zinc penny, 84...always a dime, 88 quarter, 82 copper penny, etc, etc. I set my discrimination at 24/25, notch out iron, then dig based upon the TID read outs, unless I'm in the woods then go for all metal mode with disc around 10/12.

The one thing I've noticed (many test done) clad nickles and gold rings (heavy and thin) always TID at 57/58 and everyone's favorite...the pulltab consistently rings in at 54/55 depending on style. I love the light weight and balance coupled with the 1 9v battery operation makes it even better imo.

Aside from all the colorful ads and hype, I think I've found a keeper with the Omega. I also bought another Tesoro Cortes (used) as a back up unit, but I'll always grab the Omega for major hunts. Just my .02. Check out the Youtube vids about the Teknetics Omega 8000, they're pretty impressive.

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Nice post Nightstalker,

For the money the Omega is an insane deal. I am consistently digging old coins from 6" or so. On occasion deeper and most of those coins are dime sized. The machine is pretty close on deep targets to machines costing much much more money. Quite a few have found it to be just an inch or two less than a high end unit like the E-trac.

If you can handle the bass tones of iron, I would recommend you try hunting with no discrimination so as you don't miss anything in the iron. If you do want to use discrimination the magic number is around 16 for maximum unmasking. I generally run no discrimination as I find most coins are around iron, so it helps me to know when to pay closer attention. I do get fooled a lot on deeper large pieces of iron as I'm afraid the one way signal is a coin next to iron, but I'm slowly starting to be able to tell just from the jumping VDI numbers that it is iron. Dig all and you will learn.

A small suggestion is to pinpoint targets to help get an idea of their shape. Nightstalker, I'm sure you know all this so I'm really directing it at those new to detecting.

A very simple to use and incredibly powerful machine. I can't wait till they come out with a fully featured top of the line coin machine (not relic). For now, the Omega is my preference.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the 11" DD coil exclusively, I carry the stock coil in my bag, but rarely (if ever) use it. I buried a merc dime at exactly 10" the stock coil wouldn't touch it, the 11" sounded off. The Tesoro Cortes didn't pick it up in coin mode, but in all metal mode it make a faint "whisper".

The light weight is my fav thing about the Omega (and Tesoro brands) - I definitely got a keeper here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread