T2 Battery Contact Problem & Solution

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
T2 Battery Contact Problem & Solution

I have had my T2 for over a year now and have only changed the batteries twice. I really haven't used it much this summer due to the heat and dry ground. Anyway, I took the batteries out and put new Duracell's in and hit the local park. It started cutting out and I looked over everything in the field but just delt with it til I got home. Then I remember other complaining about the springs and thought great, just when the weather breaks so does my detector! I got home and tried other batteries and I could bump the battery compartment and get it to cycle the power, which we all know, you lose your settings so you have to start over on the set up.

I took it apart and found that the way I put the batteries in caused the problem! I push them into the spring then straight down. Well, when I did this, I moved the metal contact point on the positive side down so it was bearly contacting. It is held in place by a peice of plastic that has a groove in it to slide both the top and bottom battery contacts. The bottom one was pushed way down compared to the other side. I moved it back up, put it back together and all is well. I went out today for an hour without any issues!!

What I do from now on is use a very small screwdriver to push the battery into the spring pretty hard then push it down as opposed to pushing straight down after putting it against the spring.

Hope this helps someone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread