santurinos

Greenie
Dec 26, 2010
South-West Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH Platinum - Omega 8000 -10" -11ā€ DD - 5ā€ DD - Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to metal detecting, I bought a XJ9-3050 from Treasure Hunter. Unfortunately, there is not much to learn from the cheap manual.
Originally - I expected to find some coins on my farm, but after a first field-trial ā€“ I lost a quarter (sand, 11ā€ deep). At the moment ā€“ I try to find the other one at 9 inchesā€¦
I set it to motion discrimination with automatic ground balance, I change the sensitivity and discrimination from low to high - no result.
I paid just about 200 dollars on e-bay (plus two lost quartersā€¦) The low price got my attention. The advertising claims the MD detects a quarter at 12ā€ deep.

I am a little bit disappointed at the moment. Then again ā€“ I need to learn a bit more to be able to judge this new ā€˜thingā€™.

Do you have some experience with this detector? How is yours working?
My wife and I expect to have some fun with our new hobby, on our 165 acre farm with plenty of Civil War and Indian artifacts.
We will visit the beaches in Florida, the beautiful creeks in the North Georgia mountains - of course with our MD in the back seatā€¦

I will tell you more in a few weeks about my experience (and how many more quartersā€¦)
Yā€™ALL take care ā€“ santurinos.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The detector you bought is sold under many brand names, Gold Century, Famous Trails, etc. It can probably air test a silver dollar at 12". The seller tries to make it sound like it detects anything everywhere at 12". No detector will.

Use the highest senstivity that doesn't cause beeping while holding the detector still. Also, try to keep searchcoil off the ground to avoid false signals & broken signals on coins. I didn't really keep it long enough to become an expert but found several quarters to 3"+ in bad ground, in a park that gets detected often. In low ground mineralization, 8" coins might be possible. HH, George (MN)

OP
OP
santurinos

santurinos

Greenie
Dec 26, 2010
South-West Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH Platinum - Omega 8000 -10" -11ā€ DD - 5ā€ DD - Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George (MN) said:
The detector you bought is sold under many brand names, Gold Century, Famous Trails, etc. It can probably air test a silver dollar at 12". The seller tries to make it sound like it detects anything everywhere at 12". No detector will.

Use the highest sensitivity that doesn't cause beeping while holding the detector still. Also, try to keep search coil off the ground to avoid false signals & broken signals on coins. I didn't really keep it long enough to become an expert but found several quarters to 3"+ in bad ground, in a park that gets detected often. In low ground mineralization, 8" coins might be possible. HH, George (MN)

Thank you George for your help!
I already figured that this MD can't detect a quarter 12" deep! I have a lot of red sand/soil on my property, I believe this is a handicap too. Then again - I can't get a signal at 7 inches...
I promise you that I will inform you (and everyone else of course) about my experience.
Glad to be with you folks and thank you for your support!
Y'all take care - walter and dianne.

harleyroadangel

Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow.....I was about to take a chance and purchase one of these, but now I think I will be sure I can actually try out a detector, before I buy one new or used. Thanks for the posts ...it helps us newbies.
Joy

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Chinese junk is a POS, excuse my French. You are much better off with a entry level from one of the major manufactures in the US like, Garrett, Minelab, Fisher, Tesoro or White's. These come with warranty's and in the case of the Tesoro it is Lifetime.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah yes the XJ9-3050 , one of the guys here at the base bought one of those. And he had a real time working with it.
I will say once he learned to tune it out he could find coins at about 6 inches in normal soil.
On the web site that sells this thing they have a writeup from someone who bought this and thought it was great and would pick up stuff down to 28 inches . Well the picture of this person is the same pic of the guy who runs the site!

This is one thing that really bothers me , is the ones who sell the stuff from China, it seems they will say just about anything to get someone to buy there product , even if it is not close to the truth.
If it was me I would try to sell this and take what I could get and buy something else. I know how you feel as I have done the same thing in the past and found out that I did not save anything because I ended up having to buy what I wanted and should have in the first place.

Dirt Sniffer

Greenie
Aug 30, 2011
Bloomington, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Well, I wish I would have read this first. Yes I bought one. The thing is nuts! It's all over the place. I have tried it in my yard and haven't found anything. It just beeps and grunts and carries on like it's having a nervous breakdown. I don't give up easy. I have tried several settings and I have come to the conclusion that I wasted 150.00. I also have a Garrett Ace 150. I have found all kinds of stuff with it. In the same yard. Same price, go with the Garrett Ace 150. My next step will probably be the Garrett Ace 250. Not sure though.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
You can try adjusting sensitivity to 6-10 after turning up discrimination to reject everything but coins. Keep coil slightly above ground to avoid intermittent signals from coins, ground minerals or trash breakthrough, very important.

I read of someone finding a Barber dime down 8" in mild ground. With bad ground, may not give good signal beyond 3"-4". The surface blanker when used with coil slightly above the ground, will not eliminate any coins, but will be less likely to produce unwanted signals from large objects like cans. The surface blanker could reduce depth, so best to use only in areas with lots of large trash.

A great many yards are ultra-trashy & sometimes it is best to learn in a place with less trash, like a schooyard or lesser used areas of a park. Best wishes, George (MN)

Dirt Sniffer

Greenie
Aug 30, 2011
Bloomington, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Thanks George. I will give it a try. Yesterday I was messing with it a little and pulled two pennies at 2". In the same hole I am still getting a hit on something in the coin range. The hole is 12" deep and 16" wide now. Plenty or tree roots for everyone. I want whatever it is that's down there. I don't care what it is! I gave away my Garrett ace 150 to my girlfriend down in Florida. She is waiting for it in the mail. She want's to go beach hunting. It's all good cause I have found a 350 with the DD coil used that I am getting Fri or Mon. I will go back out to that hole and retrieve my fortune. Even if it's another Falls City beer can, I will keep it as a reminder of the trials and tribulations of the hobby.

froggy38383

Sep 27, 2005
Sandman said:
This Chinese junk is a POS, excuse my French. You are much better off with a entry level from one of the major manufactures in the US like, Garrett, Minelab, Fisher, Tesoro or White's. These come with warranty's and in the case of the Tesoro it is Lifetime.

Good point, an entry level detector made by any of these manufacturers is a better value.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirt Sniffer said:
Thanks George. I will give it a try. Yesterday I was messing with it a little and pulled two pennies at 2". In the same hole I am still getting a hit on something in the coin range. The hole is 12" deep and 16" wide now. Plenty or tree roots for everyone. I want whatever it is that's down there. I don't care what it is!

Your detector might be picking up a water main, sprinkler head or something similar. 99.9% it's NOT a coin sized object. Your detector wouldn't be able to sniff out a coin at those depths. Could be a treasure chest :laughing7:, but, I'd say more likely a very large piece of metal something :thumbsup:

adamyang

Greenie
Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it has an 8.5 inch coil so i believe it only goes 8.5 inches i recently got a xj9 and every bepp it makes there is always somethig a tip is to start on all metal o locate and then switch to see depth and what it is im 13 and what a great present lol

adamyang

Greenie
Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
well person i got one and i have found 67 cents at lake ontario with at least 7 inches depth

Snickers1

Nov 24, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just saw the XJ9-3050 from Treasure Hunter on the internet and read the spec's on it. The spec's looked good and the detector also looked good. I thought that I should do some reading before considering this detector. After what I have read, I will not even consider it. I will stay with a major brand.

knuss

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got the treasure Hunter XJ9-3050 from Sylvan Co. out of Portland, OR.
I've ran this detector though it's tests, (indoor air test) and I am impressed by how well it works when on DISC mode, this is it's "default" mode.
The 3-frequency transmitter is working as advertised:
It gave low tone for nails and trash, medium tone for platinum and gold, high tone for quarter, half dollar, and solid copper nut.
Sensitivity was set at 7-8 and detected 10 to 14 in. away on all the samples

The DISC mode work perfectly, I see nothing wrong with this detector.
(You realize this detector uses a kind-of dopler circuit to discriminate so you must move the item back and forth for it to successfully detect and discriminate in this mode.)
This is a good machine.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's junk. When you get tired of it, ask for some suggestions for better upgrade.

Gregmid40

Mar 20, 2013
Advance, NC.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Fisher 1225,1260,1265,1266,1270X, Garrett Freedom Ace CDC, MP Series MP5 Pro, Garrett Coin Hunter TR Disc. (1978), Mikron NRG-110, De
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got the treasure Hunter XJ9-3050 from Sylvan Co. out of Portland, OR.
I've ran this detector though it's tests, (indoor air test) and I am impressed by how well it works when on DISC mode, this is it's "default" mode.
The 3-frequency transmitter is working as advertised:
It gave low tone for nails and trash, medium tone for platinum and gold, high tone for quarter, half dollar, and solid copper nut.
Sensitivity was set at 7-8 and detected 10 to 14 in. away on all the samples

The DISC mode work perfectly, I see nothing wrong with this detector.
(You realize this detector uses a kind-of dopler circuit to discriminate so you must move the item back and forth for it to successfully detect and discriminate in this mode.)
This is a good machine.

How far away did it detect the quarter?

gunnyg

Jun 3, 2014
Any detector takes a little time getting use to. Don't expect to be an expert with it immediately. At the same time, don't believe everything you read in the advertisement either. That goes for all detectors. Most of the posts here are negative, but from people who never held it. They shouldnt be quick to judge. I got one of these for the experience. Its a decent relic hunter but requires a little more time to get comfortable with. Its got more button to push than my high end detectors, the depth reading seems a bit off, but it does find stuff, and for the price it does a decent job. I have several detectors and use them regularly. Im no rookie and I still find out new stuff about it when I take it out. My higher end detectors have less buttons/knobs and are easier to get going with, but give it more than a couple outings, read the manual while swinging it and take the time to learn the machine. Its not a bad deal.

Last edited:

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All detectors take some time to learn, but a detector that has you questioning whether you should go detecting or poke a stick in your eye, is not a good detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread