DetectorPro Headhunter Diver Underwater Metal Detector

Antny

Jun 23, 2006
NY State & Caribbean 18*N
I use a DetectorPro Headhunter Diver. Got it last year & got to use it most of last winter. Light weight, no problems...I like it. I used it on land & beach as well. Customer service is top shelf too.
ant.

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
bigcypresshunter: Could you let us know what you think of it? I am seriously considering buying one.

ericwt

tb

Mar 24, 2005
I have the HH Pulse. I ordered mine from Mr. Bill (surfscanner detector's in new england). Excellent service, very quick shipping. I've only used it twice since the summer began, but I used it for the entire 1st month after I bought it, back in the spring. I don't have any experience with the diver, but the PI is an awesome machine. If gold is there it will find it. No gold for me yet, but 3 silver rings so far. It will sniff out deep targets. Some don't like the fact that you dig down a foot or more for pieces of wire, but it pays off eventually. You have to hunt slow with the PI or you'll miss targets, you can't go down the beach at 20 mph like some of the vlf machines will let you do.

tb

Mar 24, 2005
That may be or he might just have too many in stock and needs some to go. One other thing, when you put batteries in, I use a quarter to pop the earcup open ( you will hear a pretty loud pop ), when you snap the earcup back together make sure it "pops" ,if you don't hear it, it's not sealed properly. FYI, Radioshack had a deal on batteries a while back , 5 (9 volts) for $10. I change batteries after every 2 hunts, sometimes 1 hunt if it's a long one.

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
bigcypresshunter: How is your Headhunter driver working? Enquiring minds want to know. ;D

ericwt

CoinStick

Apr 15, 2007
I know this topic is getting stale, but I just joined this forum & thought I'd put in my $ .02. I've had a HH Diver for about 4 years & I really like it. I wish mine had some of the upgrades available now. The one I have has the 8" coil, non-interchangeable. The wire to the headphones is coiled about the last 2 feet. Other than my stick being yellow, it's about the same in all other respects. I use mine probably 80% of the time on land. I get good depth with it. I've recovered a ladies gold ring from around 8", & routinely get coins from 4" to 6". There is a learning curve with it, as there is no meter of any kind on it. It takes a bit to develop an ear for what you are hearing. I recommend listening very carefully when you get a hit, so you can relate the sound to the particular item you dig. It's hard to describe, but a "good" signal is a "rounder & fuller" tone than something like a pulltab or nail, which sounds a bit "squanky". (I hope I'm not losing anyone with these technical terms). ;-) I really like the fact that the thing only weighs 3 lbs, most of which is on your head. It has a 2 year warranty, but what they don't tell you is you have to send it in for a service yearly, which at the time I bought mine was $50 a pop. When quizzed about what this service entailed, I was told they look it over, replace the O rings as needed, and grease the ones that don't. I figured if I was qualified to rebuild scuba regulators, I could take care of my detector's needs. I use silicone grease (buy it at a scuba shop) and check the O rings every season & before I plan dive with it. I've never had a leak or had a minutes trouble out of it. It freaks people out when I hunt waist deep in the water, get a hit & stick my whole head under to retrieve the object! I'm sure they think I've just ruined my rig. I also paid about $450 for mine when I got it, although I'm sure the improvements one the current model make it still a great buy! If you on the fence about this unit, knowing what I know about it, I'd buy it again!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I own a Headhunter and it is a great beach machine. It is very light, easy to swing all day, and extremely sensitive.

However, I would never use it underwater even though that is the original reason I bought it. Why? Shortly after buying it, I set the headphones down on the table a little too hard and the ear cup popped right open! I had no confidence after that that the unit would ever truly be leakproof. Based on emails I have received from people, leakage is a common problem.

From what I understand, the new models have corrected this serious flaw but in the meantime, my HH remains just a super beach detector.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes, I love it on the beach and that is what I bought it for. My headphones pop open also on the battery side and never seem to "click" shut like they are supposed to. But this is a diving unit and I went under with it for the first time. I dried out the battery compartment but now I seem to have lost my threshold adjustment and have no depth. I havent returned it yet but I think I have no choice. If they wont upgrade the o-rings for me, then I will have to use it beach only. I can still hose off the salt safely, I believe, and that is a big plus.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I opened the box and the repair order states:
"Battery compartment repair, cleaned circuit board (cup leak)
crossover cable
spare rods"

Cleaning the circuit board does not sound like they fixed anything. There is nothing to repair inside the battery compartment. I dont know what "spare rods" means.

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
Where to start. I've spoken highly of the uniprobe over the last number of months until today. Over the last couple of weeks my uniprobe headset has been erratic at first I thought maybe moisture hunting in the rain but today it gave up, when wiggling the wire at the connector it would cut in and out so came to the conclusion that the connector is bad. Went home and got out a pocket uniprobe yes its a backup thats how much I liked it took the probe out and it was doing the same thing only with the pocket unit I could see the copper wire where it goes to the connector. Now the uniprobe headset was bought in June and the pocket unit has never been used bought in Aug.I called Detector Pro the first thing I'm told is they won't take alot of abuse and I must be pulling to hard on the cable explained to the guy that the cable is made to uncoil and the second unit has never been used that both appear to have failed at the connector. Was told that all there units are checked twice for quality and if its not me they can't control what the dealers do. Again it was suggested that it must be abuse I again pointed out that the second unit has never been used. I'm 54 years old and care for my equipment I don't abuse it. Detector Pro should have been falling all over themselves to take care of me instead I bought another cable and will send the other two back and see if they try and charge for repairs. So much for customer care! Dan

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sad story dazoff. I am 55 and I also take care of my equipment. I have only used my detector 3x and went underwater in the surf 1x and it flooded. Supposed to be rated to 100feet. There is no excuse to return my detector without fixing it but they have offered to repair it this time if i send it back again. ::) I will wait and see. Mr. Bill at surfscanners told me that my computer board sizzled when saltwater flooded it and that is what i need. I will be very upset if they dont fix it this time.
If I were you i would insist on the warranty.
What dealer did you buy it from? I bought mine from Surfscanners and Bill has been helping me getting Detectorpro to honor my warranty.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
dazoff said:
Where to start. I've spoken highly of the uniprobe over the last number of months until today. Over the last couple of weeks my uniprobe headset has been erratic at first I thought maybe moisture hunting in the rain but today it gave up, when wiggling the wire at the connector it would cut in and out so came to the conclusion that the connector is bad. Went home and got out a pocket uniprobe yes its a backup thats how much I liked it took the probe out and it was doing the same thing only with the pocket unit I could see the copper wire where it goes to the connector. Now the uniprobe headset was bought in June and the pocket unit has never been used bought in Aug.I called Detector Pro the first thing I'm told is they won't take alot of abuse and I must be pulling to hard on the cable explained to the guy that the cable is made to uncoil and the second unit has never been used that both appear to have failed at the connector. Was told that all there units are checked twice for quality and if its not me they can't control what the dealers do. Again it was suggested that it must be abuse I again pointed out that the second unit has never been used. I'm 54 years old and care for my equipment I don't abuse it. Detector Pro should have been falling all over themselves to take care of me instead I bought another cable and will send the other two back and see if they try and charge for repairs. So much for customer care! Dan
Out of curiosity I got the warranty out and read it. It says:
"The warranty excludes batteries, cable breakage due to improper flexing, wear on searchcoil housing, and wear of cable protection."
They may determine that it was not abused or worn when they see it. :-\

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
To many to say
That's interesting the problem seems to be that the coil wire is not flexible enough so has a tendencies to pull on the headphones when using it. The cable at the connector would tend to be stressed as its not reinforced at that point. An easy fix would be to rap tape at the point where the wire and connector join.That is a design flaw as the pinpointer has a shield to protect the wire to the probe.The other unit as I said is brand new never been used so coming out of the box I should not see the copper wire. I expect them to fix the problem and no doubt they will I just don't appreciate there attitude if this is a problem between the connector and wire they have experience with it and need to reinforce this weak link and maybe go to a softer wire that uncoils without pulling so much that's called listening something I'm not sure will happen but in business the customer speaks with there dollars so we shall see. Your problem is similar poor service and common sense should have said that if the board hits salt water its cooked can't be washed off not rocket science. Dan

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I like my DetectorPro unit when it worked. Very lightweight and the headphones are surprisingly comfortable. I bought it at a reduced price as last years model. But they have some serious design flaws. If they repair the electronics for me, I still will never be able to go underwater with it. The newest units have improved o-rings that may have solved this problem, but I heard they will not upgrade the older units even within the 2 year warranty.
Your probe also has a design flaw. DetectorPro will eventually solve these problems, and i feel they should upgrade your unit as it is only a cord.

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
To many to say
I know someone else who went through 3 pairs of headphones he said there on the shelf now, lesson learned.I may look for someone local to fix the cable/connector on these two and not have anything to do with detector pro. I think they have potential looking at the product but who wants to waste there time with BS garbage. Got an email from a forum today saying there are two sides to every story and they deleted my side because the other side chose not to respond and they are good guy's and they would never treat anyone that way. Go figure I can assure anyone that my integrity is solid.

submerged

May 20, 2005
Fishkill N.Y.
I recently had the pleasure of testing the latest version of the HH Diver. I live in New York and know Gary the owner/manufacturer of these machines well. To start the overall construction of this unit is poorly constructed the ear muffs kept falling down to your neck as you walked due to a poorly designed locking system. 2) The battery connectors on the unit do not fit on the 9 volt battery posts the connectors are too big and needed to be squeezed closed with pliers. 3) After turning on and setting the Sens to max and backing off to no noise at all I started to hunt well maybe 3-5 mins no hits at all so I scanned my steel toe and got a hit so I proceeded to hunt on and after doing this same routine relentlessly because I was not sure the machine was on due to the machines silence and not one hit. So after a hour or two I stabbed a hole into the ground 3" deep and slid a quarter down to the bottom on its edge and covered the coin and scanned it........ you guessed it NO HIT so I cut a plug 3" deep and layed a quarter on edge covered it stomped it scanned it and ........you guessed it NO HIT so again at 2" same way I got a slight hit and I mean slight by this time only 3-4 hours later the shaft has now loosened up and clicks when you swing the coil to either side due to the minimal thickness of the shaft wall thickness. 4) The o-ring on the ear muffs has a snowballs chance in hell of keeping out water it relies on the pressure of the water at depth to keep the seals surfaces closed. All in All it was without a doubt the worst detector I have ever laid my hands on. It sports the cheapest materials, it is poorly constructed making this machine a high dollar made in the USA piece of poo. You would think a guy who has sold detectors for years and now manufactures them would take pride in his work and would want to give the consumer a high end product. This is not my opinion it is fact like it or not.

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
To many to say
Re: DetectorPro Metal Detector

I sent the uniprobe back to detector pro they replaced a switch and BNC connector on the unit as well as repaired a cable that I broke it was done in less than a day and seems to be working OK. There was no issue about warranty on the BNC cable they just fixed it I've since wrapped tape on the connector/cable so it can't be stressed. What I have found with the pinpointer is that if the batteries are less that great the unit won't be stable as far as tuning goes. I think putting out more info on the products and any testing they have done would be helpful. As a side note I saw somewhere that everready batteries are slightly bigger for fit haven't checked it myself yet but will as my Troy X5 would benefit. This was something with the wilson coin select. Dan

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Re: DetectorPro Metal Detector

dazoff said:
I sent the uniprobe back to detector pro they replaced a switch and BNC connector on the unit as well as repaired a cable that I broke it was done in less than a day and seems to be working OK. There was no issue about warranty on the BNC cable they just fixed it....
... Dan
I'm glad to hear they decided to fix your probe and very quickly. ;D I hope they fix my PI because I like it. (before it flooded) I plan on using it beach-only from now on. I should be getting it in the mail any day. I will update.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread