ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I got this one for about $175 with shipping, and figured for an underwater detector good to 130 feet how bad could it be. For underwater, I think it will be great, on land it's another story. This thing is too dang sensitive, I dug up a finishing nail at almost 12", a bottle top under 8-10" of sand, and a penny at 12".

I'm impressed with the depths I get with it, but MAN does it need some discrimination. For the price, I wasn't expecting much, so I'm not terribly disappointed with the purchase. In the water, where I will want to dig everything, it should do it's job fine.

On land, my buddy with his Radio Shack detector (Discovery 2000) will dig 5 holes and find 4 coins, I will dig 10 holes and find 1 coin. I am kicking his butt in many categories though, like spark plugs, bottle caps, tin cans, washers, fishing weights, pull tabs, tent stakes, and foil.

My point? Don't buy this detector as a combo land/sea detector. If you have a descent land detector, and want to do some occasional sea or lake hunting, it is a cheaper alternative to the better underwater machines. In the ocean, the digging is easy in the sand, so I'll appreciate the depth and pinpointing ability there. I'm just about done using it on land though, at least in high trash areas. I do plan to take it to some nearby 1840's trading posts, but no parks or baseball fields anymore.

Jason

sandwalker

Greenie
Sep 11, 2006
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also just got one of those machines recently. I had to mount it on a belt because the thing was really heavy after awhile.
The AquaPro seems to have a depth of 6" or less in salt water. (not tested in fresh water by me) Or there was nothing in the area that was deeper, which I find hard to believe on Cocoa Beach. There is far too much trash on this beach for the surf to be that clean. :o
On the dry sand... It is a bottle cap magnet. LOL It is terrible on dry land.
My BH 202 has a depth of 14" / 16" in dry sand. The accuracy of the depth display is questionable at times but the ID is "On the money". I believe I got lucky with this perticular BH as far as it's abilities. Great machine for beach hunting for the price.
I was hoping to get as lucky with the AquaPro. At this time, out look is not good. I will give it a few more swings before I throw it away. It may be just the surfs are clean from all the storms.... Not sure of all the variables.

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
I had an Aquapro, the the one with the round tube shaped control box. I took it in the river and it leaked through one of the knobs. I tried like hell but couldn't water proof it, sold it for $50, thats all it's worth. Dave

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You must gotten a bad seal, mine's been to 90 feet and never leaked. I sold it for $100 after I got my Pulse 8X.

jcrocker

Mar 27, 2007
Long Beach, CA
To the ones that have used this MD: Would you suggest this as a low-priced entry-level MD? I'm conflicted about purchasing a cheap detector that may not discriminate well, vs. spending quite a bit of dough on another that I may not have the expertise to understand.

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You have to let your situation dictate which detector you get. If you'll ONLY be hunting in freshwater, and in areas where there aren't 12 beer cans for every coin, then this detector would be fine. It's virtually useless in salt water, and the discimination knob is nothing more than a mis-labeled sensitivity control. ;)

If you plan to hunt in the ocean, or near public beaches where lots of people hang out, then get something with some good discrimination. Learning a complex detector isn't as hard as some make it seem. You can be quite good in a week or so with just about any detector....sure it takes years to become a master with it, but that doesn't mean you won't be effective with it in short order. Trust me, when you spend 5 minutes of bottom time digging up a can, you remember that tone and ignore it. :D

Tell us more about your plans, your area, and where you intend to hunt and we'll be happy to help you make the right decision. The right decision is different for every situation though.

Jason

jcrocker

Mar 27, 2007
Long Beach, CA
Jason

Thanks for the reply. Most helpful. I live in Southern California and want an MD for beach usage, preferably for in and out of the water. I guess I'm looking for something more affordable than a $1100 Excalibur. The Fisher 1280X and CZ20s seems pretty good. I saw the AquaVision Pro on eBay for cheapo and it piqued my curiosity for a beginners tool. It sounds like I need to save my cash and keep looking.

Thanks!

-jeff

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
For what you want to do, i'd also look at the Garrett Seahunter MK II. Great detector for the money, or maybe an Aquascan. Good luck, and let us know what you get.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just tried out the large coil version and boy was it bad. Mineralised ground almost no performance. Dry beach eight inches on a large coin (1.25 inch) with a whisper signal. Wish it would hit on a coin at eight inches in the water.
Finish is poor and the shafts under the knobs are not brass and already showed signs of corrosion.
Buy a known brand with a reputation to live up to !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread