A report on the XP Deus

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got the XP Deus a couple of weeks ago; been hunting with it ever since. It’s a hard detector to put down. Not much information available on the Deus in the US, so I thought I would do a report for those that are interested in it. As some already know, the Deus uses wireless technology. Information is transmitted from the coil and received and processed by both the control box and the headphones. The headphones can actually be used to operate the detector without control box being present. It’s lightweight; coming in at less than 2.2 pounds (less than 2 pounds without the control box). It is updated over the internet via a USB connection, which saves the hassle of sending it back to the factory. The Deus comes with nine preset programs that can be modified, overwritten and saved. The original factory programs can restored if desired. Programs can be cycled through and selected by pressing a single button. That comes in handy at times. Usually I use one program to hunt with and two more for checking targets: one maximized for depth, the other for target separation. It operates at one of four frequencies: 4, 8, 12 and 18kHz. Frequencies are interchangeable and can be used with any program. Audio tones are adjustable in both pitch and conductivity range. Anywhere from 1 to 4 tones can be used. Transmission power can be adjusted for a slight increase in detection depth. The reactivity control appears to narrow the coil footprint while increasing the speed at which target signals are processed. Reactivity levels can be adjusted from 0 to 5. XP claims that most detectors operate at a reactivity level equal to level one. Depth with the stock 9” coil seems to be on par with my CZ3D. XP also offers a larger, 13”x11” coil that, unfortunately, is a bit pricey due to the wireless tech. Where the machine really stands out however, is in its recovery speed and target separation. Increasing the reactivity level in a trash infested area is like focusing a lens. Targets that were a blend of noise become separate and defined. This does come at a cost of some depth so it’s best to keep reactivity levels low until needed. It handles iron well; although it will sometimes give a good signal for round objects that have a hole in it like large washers and nuts. Over the last two weeks I have been purposely been digging a lot of trash just to see how it all registers on the meter and the audio. So far the biggest problem item has been “canslaw”, those mangled bits of aluminum and other metals that often fall into either the copper/clad or nickel range. The next would be some of the square tabs that also fall into the nickel range. Pull-tabs are not a problem. Most screw caps are coming in just above zinc pennies. Bottle (crown) caps are coming in all over the upper range but often give an iron buzz and have a pretty jumpy VID. In general, most coins give a pretty stable visual and audio ID while most trash does not. Overall, the detector is a lot of fun to hunt with and is light enough to swing all day. The hardest part has been learning the new “language”; getting the audio down and understanding what it’s telling me. That’s something that time and experience will take care of. Otherwise, I really can’t find anything to complain about with the Deus and am definitely impressed with everything it does.

Mark

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
mrwilborino I have been snooping around this machine for a while. Can you offer simple air test results using a silver dime, comparing it with your cz? Can you offer input on the audio response, is it three or four tone, or more? Would you trade your cz for one, even-up?

OP
OP
mrwilburino

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gleaner- In air tests with a silver dime I can get a consistent, accurate audio ID well past 12". That's a couple inches more than I'm currently getting with my 1021 CZ3D, but I think I have lost some depth with the CZ since I first got it because it used to hit it pretty well at 11-12". The ones that Tom Dankowski tunes up are more in that range. VID is accurate to about 9" on the Deus, after that the screen blanks out and you've got the audio to rely on. The Deus comes with 4 tones, however you can use it with 1, 2, 3, or all 4. You can also adjust the pitch and conductivity range of each tone. It's taking a little time to learn the audio. I have the ranges adjusted so that coins will usually give a single tone while most trash will blend two tones together. Of course when stuff is deep it doesn't always sound like it's supposed to. It works very well in iron infested ares and does a very good job of finding targets that are co-located with trash. Because of that, and because it is lighter and faster, I wouldn't trade it even-up for the CZ3D. However if you were to compare both models based strictly on raw performance, the only real advantage that the Deus would have (in my opinion) is it's fast recovery ability. At some sites though, that can count for a lot.

Digger82

Mar 5, 2009
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,Golden mask 5+, Makro racer 2 pro pack and Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, i got my Deus few days and it is sure a light and ergonomic machine. I have hunted some of my old relic hunting grounds full of iron and the Deus sure likes to find the smaller stuff amongs all the iron, i have dug a few holes that have contained the good stuff and some iron in the same hole. The target separation is great with this machine, you can clearly hear the high tone and iron buzzing in the same time.

Sure the Deus is expensive, but for the money you get a great performing machine and no annoying wires going anywhere. :thumbsup:

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so your saying your ready to sell your golden mask 3+ power right? LOL!

Digger82

Mar 5, 2009
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,Golden mask 5+, Makro racer 2 pro pack and Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vaquero44 said:
so your saying your ready to sell your golden mask 3+ power right? LOL!

Sorry to disappoint you, but I dont have a Golden mask 3+ power detector, just a plain Golden mask 3 and it is not for sale, i still need a good backup detector, if something should go wrong. ::)

bingbong

Jun 23, 2011
london UK
i am a XP dues owner its a very fine machine to use ,very light ,accurate and no wires getting in the way when you bend down to dig targets .state of the art in every way .
software upgrades come regularly from the XP website ,just plug into your usb socket .
the charging unit does all parts in one go . can be packed away unobtrusively in a very small bag ,with the control box and phones in your pocket .
you couldnt make a lighter machine .
no arm ache if you swing all day .
has a big following in the UK and Europe where its well used and good finds made .
has a XP forum for users too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread