looking for nautilaus info?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used one of these for awhile and had a rough time learning it because it operates on all metal and disc at the same time and I think it had four modes. It was quite awhile ago that I played with it so I won't comment on how good it was, but it was deep.

http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/nautilus-dmc11ba

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes i've read that they functioned like that, sounds neet on that type of system but quite a learning curve though but i bet once mastered there no stopping on depth

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very small learning curve if you just want depth and ferrous discrimination.

Some don't get on with "search loop balance" on the DMC II B. Its not that hard but if its a worry then the Ba will do that for you. Otherwise its just the standard controls of most higher end machines ie G.B., discrimination, threshold and two sensitivity knobs (one for all metal, the other for discrim.). An additional knob that almost no U.S. designs have is "transmit power". This means instead of the seven or eight volts most detectors use you can run less or more (up to 44 volts peak to peak across the transmitter).

There's switches for other options like using a non motion discriminate mode for on salt beaches and you can use auto tune on or off but there's not really much to it. Three types of discrimination. By knob, as with all discriminators, or by using the timing and volume that the signals arrive at your ears from the two audio circuits or even if the target is beyond the discrimination depths of the first two methods the triaxial concentric coils used give a better idea of deep iron than DD design's.

The drawback's are few. Will work on the beach but for rings on the wet I prefer a P.I. and there are extreme mineralisation areas where some other detectors are better, especially if fitted with a DD coil.

I have two DMC's (different coil size on each). They beat most detectors for depth and reliable ferrous I.D. Don't get the old shaft design, sort of double "S", go for the Whites rod option which gives perfect balance.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i very seldom go to the ocean, i'm a inland + fresh water hunter field and pastures and old home stead stuff, playing with a cortes at the moment, god i miss my deep tech vista rg 1000!

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Info I have on my Nautilus DMC-IIB says the coils are not waterproof?! Wonder if there's away to add waterproofing?

Air tests: Using the 6" coil, I get 8" with zincs rejected, 8.5" with tabs rejected, with ground balance set to 65 for average ground. With ground balance set to zero for unmineralized FL beach sand, that increases to 10". With GB set to 100 to mimic the worst dirt on earth only 1" or so disc & 3" all metal.

If I use the 10" coil. it adds another 2 or 3 inches, at GB 65.

Planted coin test: dime down 5"+ & somewhat tilted: solid pretty strong beep. Detector very stable. When noise increased inside house, I had to turn down sens from 9 to 7, but got "depth" back by increasing transmit power. The detector is 4 lb 14 oz including 4 9V batteries. It can work many hours using the heavy duty batteries that may still be available at a few places like Walgreens?

The mixed mode can be all metal in 1 ear & disc in other, or both modes in both ears. Then there's the non-motion disc if low mineralization can be found.
If you don't need a meter, a fun detector. If the weight is a problem, one can always invest another $37.95 for a Swingy Thingy. Best wishes, George (MN)

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's an approved waterproof Nautilus detector called the U-571

Brian

E.V.

Greenie
Mar 30, 2014
Troy,Va
Detector(s) used
Nautilus,Fisher 1260,65,66,70,Garrett GM3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a DMC 2 and a DMC 2BA, Both are superb detectors. Very small learning curve with these models Difficult learning the model 2B. Best coils 10 inch,6 inch. Virginia relic hunters have preferred Nautilus for several decades!

Last edited:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've still got two (one as a spare) which will take on most land machines. Would I buy another ? I doubt it with the repair/spares situation at the moment. As the Whites V3i has a similar mixed mode to the Nauty that would seem to be a better choice and offer good wet sand performance but it just doesn't cut it.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Effectively defunct for ages but the main problem (coils) has been sorted with repairs available in both the U.S. and U.K. I'm about to send one of my machines off to sort out drift and they are going to check the circuit out and knock up a schematic so hopefully things should start to get better !

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've recently spoken to the U.K. guy who may be undertaking some repair work but he sounded a little uncertain about the coils and will need the schematic for circuit repairs. The U.S. coil guy once worked for the company so there should be no problems apart from the possibility of a large backlog.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread