Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Greg

Mar 2013
    Advance, NC.
    Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Fisher 1225,1260,1265,1266,1270X, Garrett Freedom Ace CDC, MP Series MP5 Pro, Garrett Coin Hunter TR Disc. (1978), Mikron NRG-110, De
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I agree. The *@%^ thing goes off on the rocks we have in this area and there's not a *6#%^ thing you can do to discriminate their signal out. Sounds off CONSTANTLY on these 'hot rocks' as if they were a good target. Apparently has no automatic (or manual) ground balance built in and TOTALLY ruins an otherwise deep-detecting machine. As far as power, this machine is every bit as powerful as my old 1990 Fisher 1260-X but the lack of auto or manual ground balance makes this detector a dud. A thumbs down in my book.
    Last edited by Gregmid40; Apr 13, 2013 at 02:13 AM.

us
    May 2012
    Virginia
    White's Coinmaster GT, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, HF9F Metal Detector.
    18 times
    It has automatic ground balance. The reason you will pick up the Hot Rocks with this machine is because it perfectly auto tunes to the ground. It has no special circuitry in this machine to set it slightly positive so it will knock out the Hot Rocks. If it had manual ground balance you would tune it to the ground, then set it slightly positive to knock out the hot rocks. I hope this makes sense. But what can you expect for $45. HH
    Diggum' til they Dug!

us
    Greg

Mar 2013
    Advance, NC.
    Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Fisher 1225,1260,1265,1266,1270X, Garrett Freedom Ace CDC, MP Series MP5 Pro, Garrett Coin Hunter TR Disc. (1978), Mikron NRG-110, De
    9 times

In reply to dirtfisher

Quote Originally Posted by dirtfisher View Post
    It has automatic ground balance. The reason you will pick up the Hot Rocks with this machine is because it perfectly auto tunes to the ground. It has no special circuitry in this machine to set it slightly positive so it will knock out the Hot Rocks. If it had manual ground balance you would tune it to the ground, then set it slightly positive to knock out the hot rocks. I hope this makes sense. But what can you expect for $45. HH
    Well Dirtfisher, the 'hot rocks' turn out to be normal, everyday pieces of gravel (from parking lots, driveways, etc.) it looks like. The machine does sound off on these pieces of gravel as did a friend of mines' who also used the same exact Harbor Freight 9-Function detector as mine is. He dug himself crazy and finally gave up after finding piece after piece of gravel and ended up returning it. No amount of discrimination increase or sensitivity decrease adjustment will eliminate these 'false positive' signals on this particular model when going over this gravel. If you're in the Triad area of North Carolina and search where there happens to be gravel, you're in for a lot of digging of this gravel. I also have the smaller 6-function model with the six-inch coil from harbor freight tools and this one does not go off on these pieces of gravel. The coil must not be properly balanced to the circuitry as NONE of my other detectors behave like this to gravel or any other rocks of any sort except for maybe gold-bearing quartz, copper lodes, etc. I have read that the Chinese have overlooked a crucial matching of the searchcoil frequency to the circuitry when building this model from what one person said on another blog site. Well for $45, I would expect it to work at least as well as the $30.00 almost identical 6-function I also own, and this one, remember, as I mentioned earlier, does NOT go off on gravel. Oh well. As they say 'One step forward, two steps backwards'.
    Last edited by Gregmid40; Apr 13, 2013 at 02:22 AM.

us
    May 2012
    Virginia
    White's Coinmaster GT, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, HF9F Metal Detector.
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregmid40 View Post
    Well Dirtfisher, the 'hot rocks' turn out to be normal, everyday pieces of gravel (from parking lots, driveways, etc.) it looks like. The machine does sound off on these pieces of gravel as did a friend of mines' who also used the same exact Harbor Freight 9-Function detector as mine is. He dug himself crazy and finally gave up after finding piece after piece of gravel and ended up returning it. No amount of discrimination increase or sensitivity decrease adjustment will eliminate these 'false positive' signals on this particular model when going over this gravel. If you're in the Triad area of North Carolina and search where there happens to be gravel, you're in for a lot of digging of this gravel. I also have the smaller 6-function model with the six-inch coil from harbor freight tools and this one does not go off on these pieces of gravel. The coil must not be properly balanced to the circuitry as NONE of my other detectors behave like this to gravel or any other rocks of any sort except for maybe gold-bearing quartz, copper lodes, etc. I have read that the Chinese have overlooked a crucial matching of the searchcoil frequency to the circuitry when building this model from what one person said on another blog site. Well for $45, I would expect it to work at least as well as the $30.00 almost identical 6-function I also own, and this one, remember, as I mentioned earlier, does NOT go off on gravel. Oh well. As they say 'One step forward, two steps backwards'.
    Jesus, I would hate to have to dig just about every other gravel myself. Sounds like that would be a pain. I don't know about the frequency mismatching bit, it would seem to me that would decrease the depth substantially if it is not tuned properly to the coil. (Not that it has much depth anyway lol) I do know however that most metal detector manufacturers with manual ground balance have designed their circuitry to automatically set slightly positive after you flip it back into discrimination mode from when you neutral ground balance the machine in order to keep things quiet and make the hunting experience more pleasurable which also knocks out the hot rocks. I have read that in another forum where they were explaining how to power balance your machine by setting it slightly negative after ground balancing due to the manufacturers having a slightly positive setting regardless. Whatever the reason, I do wish they would have given the ability to set the ground balance ourselves. I know they did with the earlier model, and some were complaining that it was hard to balance. Seems they are moving in the right direction if they could only get that part fixed eh? My wife loves the machine but she does dig hot rocks all the time. Although I may not be right, I explain to her that I think it may be where it automatically neutrally ground balances and has no slight positive offset. But I'm like you, I've been trying to figure it out myself. She doesn't seem to mind the occasional hot rock but I bet she would get pissed if she lived in an area like yours and were digging it all the time. Best wishes to you and Happy Hunting! Good luck with your 6-function metal detector. I might get that one next just to see how it does. Have heard some great reviews about it, and some bad.
    Diggum' til they Dug!

Charter Member
    us
    Rawhide

Nov 2010
    SouthWestern USA
    Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
    2043 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtfisher View Post
    The newer 9 function metal detector from Harbor Freight no longer has ground balance settings to play with. Ground Balance is now automatic. The red button on top of the handle is for the pinpoint. HH
    I have the older one and it still works. The coil is so small, dont really need to pin point lol.

us
    Diggin' in Dirty Jerz

Feb 2013
    Surperfund, NJ
    Tesoro Golden uMax HF 9 function Chinese POS Seahunter MKII
    1 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I also have the 9 function HF MD...bought on a whim. I also have a Tesoro uMax gold. After the first testdrive on the HF detector, I was pleasantly surprised that this cheap little MD actually works...and works well! Found a ton of clad with it. It has become my "in the truck" detector..b/c that's where it lives and stays. When I have an hour or two to kill, I'll find a likely spot and go to town. The discrim. works, I run mine at the 3 o'clock position. Filters out most of the crap and I'm usually only digging copper pennies, dimes and quarters. Owned it since March. My take from today's short 1 1/2 hour park hunt....$4.75 in quarters, 90 cents in dimes, 8 pennies, 1 Canadian penny, 6 bevertail pulls, 1 figure 8 tab and misc. heavy aluminum/steel and two twist-off bottle caps. Not bad for $39.00 (what it was on sale for when I bought it) Most of the targets were 3"-6", a couple of the quarters and dimes were close to 8". It's built like garbage, but the batteries last forever (still on the originals after so many days of hunting...it's crazy lite on batteries). Here's the clad coinage from today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1525.JPG 
Views:	498 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	793867

CAN YOU DIG IT ! yes I can

Jul 2012
    Massachusetts
    GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
    606 times
    I have found 4 or 5 hot rocks but.. I don't find them all the time ... my friend got 1 and he don't have a problem . I even use mine at the beach over wet sand ...I love this MD its all I have and I would buy another. I would like to have a better MD but i just don't have the cash .. you can play with the pots on the inside of the MD if your having a problem ... I have found 14 silver coins .... 3 silver rings 1 silver pendant 140+$ in clad lots of buttons / relics ...that's better then some ppl with 300$ MD's... ya luck has something to do with it but you cant beat this MD for the cash
    dirtfisher likes this.

us
    Jun 2013
    Vine Grove, KY
    1 times
    Metal Detecting
    Just for kicks (and to satisfy a need to get out) I bought the 9 function MD from Harbor Freight and the Cen-Tech pinpointer. Took a short hobble from my Disney resort towards the bus stop and worked an area along the sidewalk. After finding a steel washer, I got the sensitivity and discrimination set fairly close and proceeded to find 9 pennies and one clad quarter in about a 1/2 hour of playing with the unit. Oddly enough, zero pull tabs.

Sep 2013
    I got one of these about 3 years ago after having a few beers in the bar and wanted to show how much metal I have in my bones from a motorcycle accident. I tried it out a few times after and got frustrated. It sat around (with the original batteries) until last month and the batteries still worked well. I wanted an excuse to get some exercise and have been out 3 times. I'm getting the hang of it and found my first 2 coins today, 11 cents! Right now even finding junk is good to get used to the different metals. I've got some homesteads on a small island off Cape Cod I want to check out but the tick and EEE mosquito season is in full swing so that will have to wait awhile.

us
    Jul 2013
    a, ohio
    A $10 garage sale find.
    251 times
    I use best buys version of a cheap detector and I LOVE IT!!! I find ton of coins and one ring so far. There good to get into the hobby to see if you like it, I hunted against a guy using a 1500 dollar machine and beat him in finds. I'm trying to one day buy a habour freight one to compliment mine since it problay does get better depth. But if its like they say a knock off of a bounty hunter tracker spend the extra 40 bucks and get one of them. Or check CL there everywhere on there.

us
    freelance commercial dirt fisherman

Jul 2013
    california
    At Pro,garret ace 350
    187 times
    Metal Detecting
    Also my first detector.Got me hooked,probabley for life.Started falling apart after a few months so I put the circuit board in a cigar box decked out with antique brass hardware and radio knobs.found my first silver with it, a 1921 morgan.And a possible meteorite still being tested.

us
    Nov 2015
    Texas
    Bounty Hunter Timeranger HF9F Micronta 4003 (way back in the day)
    3 times
    Metal Detecting
    The new Harbor Freight 9 function metal detector model will do average on coins and other small artifacts. I owned one until recently. The only thing that I had with it was that it would chatter if you tap the coil sometimes. But I dug up a lot of things with that. I gave it to a friend who had gained a fascination with metal detecting and I hope it's serving him as good as it did me. True it's a basic metal detector, but for the price you pay your actually getting something reasonably functional. I can't speak for the older model I never owned it, but the one I owned was a lot of fun. My mother actually found quite a few things with it as well when we went hunting around the old house, including a bronze medallion I wished I had found. She beat me out that day even though I was swinging my time Ranger not far away. A lot of this metal detecting thing really comes down to knowing your machine and your level of luck at any given time.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

us
    Apr 2004
    Southern Appalachia
    BH Pioneer 202, Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function
    1031 times
    Slayer of clad
    I bought one of the new model 9 function units on Memorial Day, 17, for $39.32, which included sales tax, by using a 25% off coupon. I had heard they were actually a decent machine for the price. I have 16 actual field hours with it now and have to say that it will bring home the bacon. I did a couple hours of air testing when I first got it and then let the grandkids play with it for about 3 hours as a simulated torture test. The original AA batteries are at 21 hours of use and I am keeping track of how long they actually last, I've been told they will run for 40 hours which pencils out to .02 cents an hour operating cost. The discriminator on this unit is very good, and running it in 10 on discriminate with 3/4 sensitivity it ignores everything but quarters and gives a bit of chatter on dimes with an occasional copper cent reading through also. Decent depth, 5 - 6 inch range, and works well with dollar tree ear buds. Perfect for summer park hunting and run of the mill older coins. I'm pleased with this unit. My YouTube 10 hours of field use video - https://youtu.be/29zBirOR8Wg

us
    Apr 2004
    Southern Appalachia
    BH Pioneer 202, Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function
    1031 times
    Slayer of clad
    6 months later with about 90 actual operating hours in the field the Harbor Freight 9 Function has earned some respect. I kept very detailed records of time the unit was used, and while using Harbor Freight Thunderbolt AA chloride zinc heavy duty batteries I got 60 hours of use before the low battery light came on, and that is with me using earbuds. The machine has more than paid for itself, with about $15 to the good in my pocket, and that includes gasoline expenses incurred during this same period. The discriminator is very very good, and recovery time is faster than a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202. Still using it for coin shooting, and will continue to do so until I find a piece of gold with it. Flimsy, but has held together for me, and what can you expect for under $50, I can live with the flimsy as long as the machine produces. Here's my video at 81 hours of actual use.
    Loco-Digger and Toothpick like this.

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3695 times
    Metal Detecting
    Slingshot, have you ever put this up against a tracker iv?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links