Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 55 of 55
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #46
    Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

    Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    11,498
    16900 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    Ive been looking at ebay.I am eye balling a couple whites,6000 models,a garrett or 2,and a minelab.
    roadrunner, if you want a machine to help prospecting you should find a detector that was designed for gold. If you just want to look for coins, relics and maybe some jewelry you can get a used mid level machine for $300-$400 used in most areas. I bought most of my detectors used and never had an issue. If you keep your eyes open you can get great deals. A few of my best buys were a machine I paid $75 for used and they are still selling new for $679, two that where worth $1200 and I paid $400 each.

    Good Luck


    By the way if your are wnating coins, relics and bling there is on older ad on craigsllist for a Bounty Hunter Platinum that comes with a Garrett Pin pointer and Headphones for $225. This is a steal. The Platinum is similar to the Teknetics gamma, the pin pointer is worth $100 buy itself, the headphones about $30 bucks, so you're getting the detector for $95.

    I looked up what the BH Platinum is selling for new and one site is selling it for $299 in a package deal with a few accessories.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

  2. #47
    us
    Apr 2004
    Southern Appalachia
    BH Pioneer 202, Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function
    984
    1031 times
    Slayer of clad
    Haven't done a comparison to the Tracker IV, but have tested it against a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, which I have used for many years, and was surprised by the results -

  3. #48
    us
    Feb 2006
    Brownwood, Texas
    Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Deepseeker, Dowsing Rods
    1,115
    1178 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    This man has been metal detecting for as long as I have (49 years) and he's probably the best expert on the Harbor Freight 9-function detector out there.



    ~Texas Jay

  4. #49
    us
    May 2018
    KY
    Whites, Bounty Hunter, Tecknetics
    22
    28 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I was at Harbor Freight today and saw the detector, so I said wth..... only $49.... so i bought it.
    Trying it out it works ok. Pretty good depth and discrimination. Very light and kind of flimsy build quality.
    I tried it out briefly and found a few coins in my yard. I will take it out in my 3 acre field this weekend and see how it goes.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180504_222538657.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	1586410

  5. #50
    Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

    Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    11,498
    16900 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by 59CRL View Post
    I was at Harbor Freight today and saw the detector, so I said wth..... only $49.... so i bought it.
    Trying it out it works ok. Pretty good depth and discrimination. Very light and kind of flimsy build quality.
    I tried it out briefly and found a few coins in my yard. I will take it out in my 3 acre field this weekend and see how it goes.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180504_222538657.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	1586410
    The coil size is going to limit your detecting depth on the smaller targets. It is a capable machine, but I doubt if it will hit on a coin sized target at 8 inches or deeper unless it's a large copper or silver. Good Luck
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

  6. #51
    us
    May 2018
    KY
    Whites, Bounty Hunter, Tecknetics
    22
    28 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    so does a larger coil or smaller coil increase the depth?
    Loco-Digger likes this.

  7. #52
    Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

    Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    11,498
    16900 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by 59CRL View Post
    so does a larger coil or smaller coil increase the depth?
    The diameter of the coil correlates to it's depth. The larger the coil, the deeper it should go. Larger coils are great for target sparse areas and smaller coils are better in trashy sites since they give better target separation due to their size. I must admit the stock 5"DD for the F75 does go crazy deep for it's size. I prefer DD coils over concentric since I get a better reading using them, Below is an example of concentric and DD coils detecting fields.

    Concentric coil
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	concentric_searchcoil.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	1586875

    DD coil
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	double_d_searchcoil.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	1586876

    You need to overlap your sweeps more with the concentric coil to get max depth vs the DD coils.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

  8. #53
    us
    May 2018
    KY
    Whites, Bounty Hunter, Tecknetics
    22
    28 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco-Digger View Post
    The diameter of the coil correlates to it's depth. The larger the coil, the deeper it should go. Larger coils are great for target sparse areas and smaller coils are better in trashy sites since they give better target separation due to their size. I must admit the stock 5"DD for the F75 does go crazy deep for it's size. I prefer DD coils over concentric since I get a better reading using them, Below is an example of concentric and DD coils detecting fields.

    Concentric coil
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	concentric_searchcoil.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	1586875

    DD coil
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	double_d_searchcoil.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	1586876

    You need to overlap your sweeps more with the concentric coil to get max depth vs the DD coils.
    Oh wow thanks for the post. Yeah this metal detector cannot pick up anything 8 inches deep lol. Coins at about 6 max.
    It is fun though. I found an old water hose nozel from the 50's in my front yard at about 5 inches deep. Fun for a
    cheaper machine.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

  9. #54
    Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

    Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    11,498
    16900 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    That machine would have hit on about half of my keepers since they were only between 4 to 7 inches deep. Let that machine find enough to pay for itself and if you're still excited about the hobby I'd keep the HF machine as a back-up/loaner and then get a used mid-level machine. Deals are out there, you just have to keep your eyes open.

    Good Luck & Happy Hunting
    Slingshot likes this.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

  10. #55
    us
    Aug 2011
    Sonora,Ca
    Bounty Hunter - Prospector
    87
    17 times
    I have had one for a couple of years now. It works fine for general use. I can find gold at 6", other junk usually much shallower. I use it in the water as well without any problem. I do try to keep it within about 6" max depth. I haven't looked at it to see if it can be better sealed or even what issues it may have in water. So far I have had none in or out. I find the usual everyone else does so no complaints there. I do not look for deep objects so this unit satisfies that need. It's good for playgrounds etc. too. For just something cheap that works to keep in the truck, this works great. I can buy quite a few of these for the price of some of the other and get the same results....pull tabs..lol GL/GH
    Slingshot likes this.

 

 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

harbor freight 9 function metal detector
,
harbor freight 9 function metal detector review
,

harbor freight metal detector

,

harbor freight metal detector review

,
harbor freight metal detector reviews
,
harbor freight tools metal detector
,
how deep can harbor freight metal detector detect
,
metal detector 67378
,
metal detector harbor freight
,
what rocks would a hf metal detector detect
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0