treasure sensor 4000

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't waste your time trying to use it. It's probably in the basement cause somebody didn't want to bury it.

deep6

Greenie
Jan 3, 2007
Conway, SC
Detector(s) used
Brinkman - they make a mean BBQ, too!
Wahoo! I have a Brinkman Treasure Sensor 4000, which I'm glad I replaced with an Ace 250. Brinkman makes my barbeque grill as well. Unlike the grill, the detector came w/o instructions when I bought it as a close out item around 1985 or so. I just learned to turn the big knob while holding close to the ground until it stopped beeping and presumed I was ground balancing.
No discrimination; sees everything but does a pretty good job with IDing for size, that is little crackles for shanks of fishhooks to deafening blasts over squashed potted meat cans. I don't know what the deal is around here with potted meat cans; I find one on every outing.

d6

Gregmid40

Mar 20, 2013
Advance, NC.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Fisher 1225,1260,1265,1266,1270X, Garrett Freedom Ace CDC, MP Series MP5 Pro, Garrett Coin Hunter TR Disc. (1978), Mikron NRG-110, De
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't waste your time trying to use it. It's probably in the basement cause somebody didn't want to bury it.
Hello Sandman! I (know) your post is almost 8 years old but if (by chance) you're still logging on to TN, do (VERY) much encourage people like Joey to use this machine! Very easy to adjust. Will not sound off on iron yet it operates in basically an all-metal mode. Has no discrimination feature of any kind. Not the deepest detector in the world (BUT) the depth can be adjusted with the ground adjust knob also as it's a true TR(transmit/receive) detector in every sense of the word and can, depending on how tall the obstructions like grass, rocks, and other things in the way are, can be adjusted to around 8" (or more) on average-size coins. Also it pinpoints with laser accuracy. The Sensor 4000 is a true non-motion TR detector and the signal response from this detector will not fade away when sounding off over a target say for instance like the old Garrett Deepseeker or Coinhunter TR's would have done when moved too abruptly or too high up off the ground. I use it a lot IN PLACE of a pinpointer as it sounds off right on top of the coin, etc. (every) time. Even (WAY) better overall than the Treasure Sensor 5000 model that replaced it. But the (whole) point is one (needs) to learn how to use these older detectors PROPERLY or they (will not) work their best and the operator will get frustrated and give up, unfairly calling it a piece of junk when it's maybe the operator who should be replaced and/or learn how to use the detector (just) a little better. Fully capable and almost as deep (if not as deep) as a Garrett ACE 250 which is a regular VLF motion detector but someone else mistakenly thinks otherwise in the forum. Maybe that person wasn't using theirs correctly or there was something wrong with the machine's operation itself. With these older machines, you have to finesse them and be gentle with them and most importantly, learn (their) capabilities. I would put the Sensor 4000 up against a Whites MXT with a beginner and/or careless coin-hunter 'at the helm' any day of the year and (still) out-find that individual. That's not so much a foolhardy claim as it is (the truth) as (ANY) true, 'dyed-in-the-wool' old-timer will vouch for me on this one. Ever heard of these 'old-timers' using older, vintage MD's and (still) finding stuff in places that have already been 'hunted out' by modern MD users with modern and sometimes deeper metal detectors can tell you?....Something to think about ladies and gents....

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just happened to see this post which is old but I'd like to respond.

I was a little hasty in my remark. One of my first detectors was a C & G Bobcat which was a TR machine. It gave me hours of fun and many coins and rings. Newer detectors are deeper and have more features but I wish I still hand that Bobcat again.

Gregmid40

Mar 20, 2013
Advance, NC.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Fisher 1225,1260,1265,1266,1270X, Garrett Freedom Ace CDC, MP Series MP5 Pro, Garrett Coin Hunter TR Disc. (1978), Mikron NRG-110, De
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RE: to Sandman's Quote.

I just happened to see this post which is old but I'd like to respond.

I was a little hasty in my remark. One of my first detectors was a C & G Bobcat which was a TR machine. It gave me hours of fun and many coins and rings. Newer detectors are deeper and have more features but I wish I still hand that Bobcat again.
Hello Sandman! You might want to check in on ebay every now and again as the C & G Bobcat (WILL) show up on ebay for sale or bid. I have seen two or three on separate occasions for sale and/or bid here so you might want to keep a lookout for them on that website. As far as your previous post from 8 years ago, that's "water under the bridge". As far as the old T/R method of search goes, I just wish that the major companies had developed the technology even further (if they could have) to vastly improve the depth and ease-of-use of these machines. Too bad they're (not) generally as deep as a good, modern digital detector because they (sure) were VERY good pinpointers in normal operating mode. They also had the uncanny ability to 'see' through iron junk unlike many of even the modern MD's in which iron such as rusty nails can often mask the goodies until someone comes along on the old 'hunted out' spots with a vintage T/R machine. Check out the 'TR Metal Detector Test New VLF Versus Old TR' video on YouTube. Not my download but nevertheless, this video got me kind of interested in firing up my old Brinkmann and my vintage Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840 (goes +/- 12" on a quarter) and heading out to the previously 'hunted-out' spots that someone I know, worked over with a Whites MXT. The results:? Actually I found roughly two more dollars worth of coins such as some really deep dimes (which seem always to be harder to find especially on edge) where he had hunted down this narrow strip. I also found some thin lapels he had missed. Well, HAPPY HUNTING and GOOD LUCK! Sandman! Ps., have a Merry Christmas! Gregmid40.:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread