Xp adx 250

Sir Marc

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Creed,
I have a XP adventis. A XP 250 is basically a XP adventis without manual groundreject. Althoug I understand that it’s quite easy to modify a 250 into an adventis.

For my purpose it’s a very useful detector. I search mainly on ploughed fields that are not contaminated with Iron, and sometimes on pasture. It’s very good at recognizing iron, probably because of its low frequency. Even at low discrimination settings, I very rarely dig up iron. It’s not very well suited to pick out good targets from among a lot off iron though. Its good iron rejection is in such conditions a drawback because the iron will cause it to null and its recovery speed is not very quick (compared with XP goldmaxx 18KHZ for instance). In Europe the coins with a value of 1, 2 and 5 euro-cents have an iron core plated with some copper alloy. Even at very low discrimination setting this detector will reject those coins. The iron core is easily recognized and rejected despite the copper coating. Tricks you see on youtube, where certain detectors are set to reject a nail but give a positive signal when a small coin is hold against the nail, will not work on the lower frequency XP-detectors (100, 250, adventis).

It’s not the best detector to find very small low conductive objects because of its low frequency. But we are talking very small objects here. It’s quite capable of locating small late Roman coins at good depth.

It has no special pinpointing features. All pinpointing must be done while moving the coil, using the cross-method. This can be somewhat hard in the beginning, especially because its response speed is not the fastest. But after a while I’ve learned to pinpoint very accurate. As you keep moving the coil over the target, slowly lift the coil and narrow down the sideways movement till you hear just a very faint sound wen wiggling the coil just an inch or so. The target is now right under the center of the coil. Repeat that procedure in a 90 degrees angle and bingo.

Pros:
Light weight especially when hip-mounted.
Very good iron recognition.
Very good depth at high to medium conductive targets.
Very good at pasture with not to many iron investation.

Cons:
Pinpointing can be a problem at first.
Not suited for very small jewelry.
Not very good at picking out good targets from iron infested areas.
Suffers from electromagnetic interference, Power lines can be a problem.

Hope this was somewhat helpful, sorry for my bad English.

OP
OP
creed0191

creed0191

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2012
Thank you very much. This was so much more than I expected. Brilliant

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But be warned the Adventis is the better bet for the U.S. as it will cope far better on a greater range of sites. The recovery speed isn't much of a worry as its faster than most of the older U.S. detectors its only the new generation that has gone super fast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread