Deep detector ??

Willy

I've never used an SE, but had 2 Sov's and an Excalibur. What I like about the X70 is the light weight, 4 AA's, faster sweep speed, EXTREME sensitivity to small and low conductive targets, easy to implement/see multi-notch disc., concurrent depth display, and a few other things. I prospect for gold and, from what I can gather on the various forums, both the Sov. GT and SE are simply outclassed by the X70 when it comes to a multipurpose detector that can also nugget-hunt. One thing to keep in mind is that the ability to find tiny nuggets translates into the ability to find tiny bits of jewelry (diamond ear-studs). As I said, I had (and liked) 3 other BBS detectors, but they exhibited no depth advantage, in my ground, and were relatively insensitive to low conductors. ..Willy.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Willy said:
I've never used an SE, but had 2 Sov's and an Excalibur. What I like about the X70 is the light weight, 4 AA's, faster sweep speed, EXTREME sensitivity to small and low conductive targets, easy to implement/see multi-notch disc., concurrent depth display, and a few other things. I prospect for gold and, from what I can gather on the various forums, both the Sov. GT and SE are simply outclassed by the X70 when it comes to a multipurpose detector that can also nugget-hunt. One thing to keep in mind is that the ability to find tiny nuggets translates into the ability to find tiny bits of jewelry (diamond ear-studs). As I said, I had (and liked) 3 other BBS detectors, but they exhibited no depth advantage, in my ground, and were relatively insensitive to low conductors. ..Willy.

I think we communicated back in 05 when I had poor luck with my Excalibur. I couldn't get the depth with it that everybody was claiming.

I ended up horse trading myself into this SE so I'll see how it sizes up to all the claims. I had wanted another Sovereign GT but the dealer who gives me super deals was all sold out. So, I finally decided on the SE.

I'm not worried because these sell pretty easily and I got a super great deal on it in the first place.

But the thing I need most isn't a new detector. What I really need is a new great hunting site.

Badger

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
If you look at my other posting (Some European Finds For The Week), you´ll see what I picked up after going over the same bit of ground with my XP GoldMaxx Power, as my mate had done with his XTerra 70 !!
In Europe the GoldMaxx Power is called the hammered Hoover, because it finds all the really tiny stuff, even amongst iron. because it has the fastest recovery speed on the market. Go to You Tube and do a search for XP or GoldMaxx, you´ll see what I mean.

HH Ray

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2

Willy

Thing is, if a detector has a slower recovery speed.. just slow down. Also, from what I can gather the Goldmaxx Power operates at 18 KHz; that's about what the ol' Goldbug 1 operated at and what the XTerra CAN operate at, given the proper coil. What frequency was your buddy's X70 operating at? Another point I'd like to make is that recovery speed doesn't determine how small of a target can be detected, only the propensity for being masked by other targets. My last point is.. nobody gets it all. I wonder if you were to hunt the exact same area again, with another detector or the same one, if you'd find any other targets worth digging. I've seen it in soooo many magazine articles where, when field testing a new detector (even a crummy one), the guy will go to a site that's been 'hammered' for years by the best that can be had. Lo and behold, he starts digging up goodies that the other detectors missed. Wow, what an awesome new detector!!! Gimme a break! I can take almost any detector and hit this certain fresh water beach (hunted hundreds of times during spring/summer/fall) and find stuff that was missed. ..Willy.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
His was operating at 18kHz too, but he tends to blend some junk out, thats why most Europeans don´t use the notch facility that Americans seem to love (Use it and you lose it, is a favourite saying here regarding notching). We where hunting on a field that had been ploughed, harrowed, and sown, weeks before, so unlike a beach, there was nothing to move the targets about ! We find that on really scrappy (Nails etc.,) area´s the Mine Labs tend to null out, where´s the GMP gets through it. That said, the T2 and F75 are also very good, not as fast as a GMP, but still better than the MineLab. People just have to learn not to notch things like ring pulls out. If we notched them out here, we´de miss thin gold rings and tiny hammered coins. Slow the sweep on a GMP, it just finds even more !
HH Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions