Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Feb 2007
    9 times

Troy Shadow X3

There is not too much talk of any Troy detectors on the forum since they went out of business. Last fall I picked up a mint X3 that came with the stock 7 inch coil. I have not been able to get any depth with preset ground balance detectors in my "bad soil" hunting spots. The first time out with the X3 I was totally amazed at the depth I was getting with this detector. The deep coins(7to 8 inches) were very soft whispers, but definitely able to be heard. I was able to recognize coin sized targets easily with the pinpoint button by sizing them. The 7 inch coil proved to be one of the deepest small coil I have ever used, even with some of the top ID detectors I have had. For a Christmas present, I got myself a 9 inch coil from Troy himself. The heavy snow we had here in northeast Ohio melted off two days ago and I took the X3 with the 9 inch coil out for a spin. The very first target I dug was silver war nickel that was 8 inches deep! Not a banger type signal, but tight and concise. I dug only a dozen coins before I moved on to another spot. The first target at this spot was a barely audible signal that slightly broke up when I checked with the coincheck function. It had a tight pinpoint so I was pretty sure it was a deep nickel. When I finally found the target with my Propointer, it was at least 10 inches deep. It turned out to be a 1917 buffao. I have not found any silver coins yet, but the last target of the day was a sterling pendent that looks to be Victorian era. It was in the 8 inch deep range. The coincheck feature of this detector makes it a joy to coin hunt with. No more thumbing of the disc. If you have never seen a Troy x3-5 in person, the attention to detail is second to none. But, I would have never paid the list price of this detector when new. I think it retailed in the 800 dollar range, which I think it several hundred dollars overpriced.

Sep 2005
    9 times
    Their website is still up, troycustomdetectors.com. The forum has been inactive for several years but there is a customer service number. Don't know if anyone will answer. Apparently they hope to have a new detector "some day," so they keep their website.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links