Thinking about a DetectorPro Priate Pro

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking about getting a DetectorPro Pirate Pro for beach and eventual lake and rainy day use. One thing I am a little concerned about is the transmit frequency of 2.4 kHz. Very low for any hopes of finding gold items, isn't it? What do you folks think?
I'm also open to alternatives for a water resistant (not diving) beep and dig detector in a similar price range. A lot of people would probably say Garrett AT Pro but that's a little above where I want to go price wise and in a functional range already covered by my F5.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the detector pro wader that is basically the same as the pirate pro only made in USA and not china. I consider it to be a great detector. It will find gold even if it has a very low frequency, I traded it for a more expensive detector and sometimes I would have liked to have it. It's the lightest detector that you can buy and it works well. My advise ...to for it.

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm totally biased. But it's a great detector.

img0027_zps3b959c03.jpg
crings_zps788d8275.jpg

HeadhunterPiratePro_zps7e418fe9.jpg

headhunterpiratepro_zpsf75d452e.jpg

OP
OP
foiled_again

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aargh! On the advice a' the scurvy rogues as replied ta my post I went ahead and got the Pirate Pro...got a good deal and saved a pile a' doubloons too!

Took it out the local beach yesterday to try it out. First impression: very pleased, bordering on flabbergasted! I was hoping to find...well...anything...and wound up with a bunch of clad including 9 quarters. A more than decent day for an hour and a half time, especially on a winter beach.

Operationally it was very reminiscent of my Surfmaster PI, a machine I was never able to master and sold recently (yes I know this is a "step down" but a machine I will use is of more use than one I avoided using!). I ran it at Disc=1 and found quite a lot of rusty nails, paper clips etc...just like PI days. And sometimes I got the one-way doubled sound, like the PI can give...these are invariably nails or other long iron objects. The Sensitivity dial seems in effect to be a Threshold adjustment and kept it at the edge of a little trembling murmur. But after just this short time I was starting to hear a difference in sound, between a harsh blocky or ragged iron sound and a softer, sine-wave type coin signal. Not much black sand on the beach this time of year (mostly rocks) so I was unable to see how it does with that. Next step: fiddle with the discrimination and see if I can block out some iron. It seemed like I had to go up to Disc=4 before the iron signals started getting discriminated out. But so far, I'm very happy with it, and it complements my land detector as I hoped.

A tip a' the hat to the sea-dogs as put me onta it!

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumright: WTG Foiled Again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread