What should I consider when buying a pinpointer?

crapshooter

Jan 18, 2007
Just getting into MD'ing and can see from the post I'll want a pinpointer. I'm thinking of buying the Ace 250 and see where I can get a $140 pinpointer for $40 with the detector. It's the Automax precision V4. I've saw someone mentioned that is a large one. So what size should I look at?

Also do you recommend going with the Ace 250 Pro for an extra $80 or so?

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
The best handheld pinpointer is the Vibraprobe 560. The Automax is a love / hate device that has a lot of problems. The difference in the Pro package at least from me is a discount on the larger coil and a free set of headphones. All accessories are packed in the box and shipped free. if you're still interested give me a call.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
If you buy the detector for 212.00 then who ever you buy from should only charge you about 15.00 for the automax v4. Then sell the V4 on ebay for about 55.00 and buy a Vibraprobe. I wouldn't pay 40.00 for the v4.
I think you would be better off buying the standard 250 and add a sniper coil.

grunt

Jul 16, 2008
south texas.
Detector(s) used
MXT,CZ-5,SAFARI,T2-SE
save and buy the best "detector pro pistol pointer" 6 inches on a pistol pointer!!!!!!!

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
$40 plus they will charge you a large amount for shipping. The automax v4 is not worth a dime in my opinion. I have used almost all pinpointers except for the Sunray's and IMO $125 for the garrett pro pointer is the best deal. You can't break it, its small, the detection distance is good, it's not near $200, the holster fits it incredibly well.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Dealers may hate me for this post, but the $20 Centech pinpointer seems to meet my needs. It only has a range of an inch or so. Some that cost over $100 only go an extra half inch.

The Centech has a probe several inches long that can go down into a small hole as well as check your dirt pile. It will fit into your pocket & mine's still working after a few months, so no real complaints so far. It's still on the first battery, too.

It does make a rather loud high-pitched beep, which could annoy nearby people or attract the curious. HH, George (MN)

mighty_mace

Jun 29, 2007
Schuylkill County, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know about the centech or I probably would have picked it up since I'm just starting out. I did buy a bounty hunter pinpointer on sale at Cabelas for 29.99. It has worked for me so far but I've only had the chance to use it on 2 occasions.

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
The Bounty Hunter pinpointer costs about 60 bucks retail. I got mine and within 15 minutes out of the box I found a pocketknife that my son lost 13 years previously (stainless blade open of course), it saved my index finger. I think it is good for being at the low end of the price scale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread