Not open for further replies.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great stuff - personally there is no need for the GF2's to be in the USA anyway - you can already get the legendary T2's so for those of us around the world who not only have issues getting a Teknetics T2 we also have to ship the entire unit back to the USA if we need a simple repair done - in many cases that is not viable because of the shipping costs -

GF2 ships parts to your door & sell their metal detectors to anyone who wants them - easier to get than a T2 - cheaper than a T2 & you can buy parts if needed - they clearly label their product so NOT to confuse anyone that its a fake T2 as clearly its not - their sales & support team seem to be efficient and friendly as well

making life simple

In my view, thinking you have a good enough reason to buy a counterfeit Teknetics T2, the big picture still ends up being you're buying a counterfeit T2.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Syco - you never give up.

There is convincing evidence that the GF2 is an illegal exact copy of a T2, down to it's microcode. This would mean that no matter how you slice it, it's stolen goods.

your budget seems to outweigh these factual considerations. It's your business if you want to enrich what are likely a bunch of thieves.

just don't go on posting more misleading stuff about what the GF2 really is. If you have any doubt, send one to First Texas in El Paso and see if you get it back!

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the end, there's always going to be supporters of counterfeit goods. I just like to know who they are so I never deal with them. Buyers or sellers.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the end, there's always going to be supporters of counterfeit goods. I just like to know who they are so I never deal with them. Buyers or sellers.

Is there a sticky thread of counterfeit products, letters from US manufacturers, images, etc, tips to identify this junk?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been QC and QA for several large companies and I can tell you nothing out of China gets QC'd. Greed of American companies is why nothing we own is really made in the USA anymore. The G2 is a replica and to me a fake. If it works big whoopee, its a knock off. If you buy one good for you, I have never seen one being used. I dont low ball my sellers and I buy American. Everyone wants a better deal when they buy the next new detector. I buy American because I can read the manual for one. Two its here in the US. I have heard nothing but problems from folks who dont. Funny I dont remember seeing any G2 videos on youtube now either. Now Im gonna go look.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nighttripper I highly suggest you read our rules and post by them.!

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nighttripper -

"works the same as a Teknetics T2" it certianly OUGHT TO since it is probably an exact ripoff copy.

The point is not whether or not it is carefully assembled out of quality components - which it may or not be -

the point is that you are likely in receipt of contraband. Producing an exact copy of a T2 including its software is theft.

if you are OK with that, there's not much anyone can do about it, but why not just steal somebody's T2 and save yourself even more money. It's basically the same thing

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nighttripper -

"works the same as a Teknetics T2" it certianly OUGHT TO since it is probably an exact ripoff copy.

The point is not whether or not it is carefully assembled out of quality components - which it may or not be -

the point is that you are likely in receipt of contraband. Producing an exact copy of a T2 including its software is theft.

if you are OK with that, there's not much anyone can do about it, but why not just steal somebody's T2 and save yourself even more money. It's basically the same thing

Good point. I thought about copying a few StarWars novels and changing the name to see if I could sell it and make millions...................NOT!

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already know the answer to what First Texas will do with a GF2 as this question had already been answered by them when we proposed to send them a unit to look at - If the GoldFinder2 is indeed a counterfeit as many of you claim then it stands to reason the very similar looking Vikings are also counterfeits/copies - If this is the case then why is the distributor for First Texas in the Ukraine allowed to sell the Vikings in direct competition?

First Texas have known about the manufacturer of the GF2's for years as do they about the Viking's and nothings done - They have also stopped international buyers purchasing from reputable US sellers, which makes no sense - As far as I am concerned, its easier and cheaper to get a GF2 and as for legalities of the detector - That's for a couple of companies to work out, so until then I will just have to use what's easily available to me -

I also like the fact that you can purchase parts separately -

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No different than buying knock off purses or watches, counterfeit is counterfeit.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's like the grocery stores brand of 89 cents colas compared to Coca-Cola or Pepsi Cola. Knock offs just don't compare to the real thing. But you can train your mind to think so.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen a T2 knock-off a "Goldfinder" on line that has been unsold for quite some time. the asking price has continually dropped and is south of $300 now. I for one will not buy a counterfeit or knock-off. You don't know what your getting (quality wise) and the there is very little resale value (unless you're shyster).

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen a T2 knock-off a "Goldfinder" on line that has been unsold for quite some time. the asking price has continually dropped and is south of $300 now. I for one will not buy a counterfeit or knock-off. You don't know what your getting (quality wise) and the there is very little resale value (unless you're shyster).

Theres one on ebay that keeps dropping, seller says same as a T2.

I bet if you sent it in for checkout or repair Teknetics would confiscate it.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Theres one on ebay that keeps dropping, seller says same as a T2.

I bet if you sent it in for checkout or repair Teknetics would confiscate it.

That's the one I posted about. Have been watching it for a month or more. You'd be stupid to send it to Teknetics since it's not one of their detectors. I doubt if it would be worth it sending it back to China for repair.

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's like the grocery stores brand of 89 cents colas compared to Coca-Cola or Pepsi Cola. Knock offs just don't compare to the real thing. But you can train your mind to think so.

Or you could do what common sense dictates & get both detectors and compare them against each other instead of pretending to know what you are talking about & there is a fair bit of that going on around here - ;)

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the one I posted about. Have been watching it for a month or more. You'd be stupid to send it to Teknetics since it's not one of their detectors. I doubt if it would be worth it sending it back to China for repair.

China are happy to send parts/replacements directly to the buyer - In fact I initially had a big hate on for the Chinese made products, that was until I experienced a problem with another one of their products (which turned out to be user error) - I sent them a very blunt email rubbishing their company and Asian made gear - Within 30 minutes my phone rang and I was surprised to hear a rep from their company assuring me that they will make things right - They did then & have since bent over backwards in an effort to make life easier for foreign purchasers -

Again, if you can easily purchase quality metal detectors in the USA of which you can, there is no need for anyone in the USA to be purchasing a GF2 anyway - Its far too expensive to box up the entire T2 to send to the USA from NZ, just to get PP/GB switch fitted etc when its a simple fix to change out the switch, therefore you should be able to purchase the switch from the manufacturer if needed - The USA does not sell those parts separately - China do -

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or you could do what common sense dictates & get both detectors and compare them against each other instead of pretending to know what you are talking about & there is a fair bit of that going on around here - ;)

In the US, counterfeit products are contraband. That means it is against the law to simply be in possession of counterfeits.

If counterfeit products are legal in your country, then we know where our differences come from.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is just more logic in buying proven product lines than the knock off items produced with low quality parts. The import product shills will do their best to tell a different story but don't fall for that line and stick with companies that work inside the proper rules of good business. Industrial theft is still just plain old stealing.

Gadgetguy2005

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I see there are some critical comments and also some compliments related to the Goldfinder 2.

I have questions to those who have one: I would like to buy one (as it is way less expensive than any comparable models in Canada) -Where did you get yours? What is the "best way" to get these from China?

(On a related note: I would be totally fine to buy a Teknetics T2 instead - but it costs nearly USD 600 (in CAN$) so that is a bit too much if I compare it to the price the T2 is sold for in the US)

Thank you for any recommendations

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind in mind no non-supporting vendor advertising is allowed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions