Feb 8, 2013
GA and CO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Are any of the China detectors worth purchasing? I'm not referring to counterfeit Minelab GPX5000 Or the T2 copy, etc ... Some of the detectors appear OK for the money, but ... it's a huge unknown without actually using one!

Opinions?

Thanks,

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
YES!! & NO!!

Yes, If you cannot afford the cheapest top brand detector then maybe go for a Chinese metal detector. Some of them do actually detect metal.....and ground... and grass....and skin:laughing7:
NO!, because they donot work as well as the cheapest nastiest non Chinese detector.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adrian is correct. Those Chinese detectors use the cheapest circuits that can barely work and generate a beep. Their only plus is they are called metal detectors and the price is low.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can probably get a new or used Tesoro Compadre for less than one of those China junk detectors and then you will have a lifetime warranty if you ever need it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess there are one or 3 brands from China that would Rival most
u.s. and other brands , but because they are made in china,
it will be hard to get any reviews from users.

and the reviews you will see are just Automatic opinions,
or manufacturer ads,
simply because you mentioned china.

Last edited:

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going cheap harbor freight and even the best buy target shooter mds are good about 40 bucks and mine works great! Good depth and easy to use. I just found out a bunch of stuff about it last night I didn't know so it'll be even better now. The one from best but looks cheap with that plastic plate coil but I bang it agaisnt rocks and curbs and still haven't broke it and its waterproof for creeks and wet grass. That 40 isn't bad if starting out since you may not like doing it which most guys won't after the first week.

hobby

Aug 9, 2013
I would guess there are one or 3 brands from China that would Rival most u.s. and other brands , but because they are made in china, it will be hard to get any reviews from users. and the reviews you will see are just Automatic opinions, or manufacturer ads, simply because you mentioned china.
. Made in China that mean it iWork's for lucky one day , they don't build quality but quantaty

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
A good cheap Bounty Hunter is better than any Chinese metal detector I've ever seen or had my hands on..

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get what you pay for. Having only had one chinese detector and it was a gift. I would say they are ok for finding nails in wood, but not much depth on them. They also drift thus you need to keep gb the darn thing. With just the beep, not three tones, it was a beep and dig machine. I looked at one called "The Swarm". Reviews on it were poor.

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good cheap Bounty Hunter is better than any Chinese metal detector I've ever seen or had my hands on..

Well Larry if you knew what you were talking about you would realize that the 'good cheap bounty hunters' you speak of are MADE IN CHINA

Like so much of corporate america's manufacturing these days -

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a First Texas fan until I needed their customer service, so I went with the Chinese made GoldFinder2 because their after sales support & service is of a higher standard that FT could provide. If it wasn't for Felix @ First Texas wouldn't have customer service -

2 x GoldFinder2 Metal Detectors complete with UR30 headphones delivered to your door for $400

Parts are readily available & usually provided free of charge - Their customer service will phone you, if you have issues & not run for cover or pass the buck......

But best of all - they sell worldwide -

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Larry if you knew what you were talking about you would realize that the 'good cheap bounty hunters' you speak of are MADE IN CHINA

Well NOOB, he did say a "good cheap Bounty Hunter" NOT the cheapest BH! Nice try though!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sycotoad, please remain respectful...

If I am not mistaken First Texas brags that Bounty Hunter and their other products are "Made in the USA"..

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not mine Larry. Bounty Hunter has been made many years. Living a few miles from First Texas and seen a few guys tuning machines up for customers is a learning experience. Didnt see any Chinese folks there. Most of my friends use First Texas machines.

I always tell folks to print out a hobby lobby coupon and go get a detector there. They work, and about as cheap as I would go on a detector. I am not sure about the claims about Bounty Hunter being chineese made, but will say its a cheap way into the hobby.

I have found the more you pay the more you get usually in detectors. It may all be greek to you now. But after your hundredth pulltab, you will wish you had a way of id your targets. You buy a cheap detector, you just bought a lot of headache. You may want to buy used but if it doesnt come with a warranty, it better be cheap.

I made due with a old Bounty Hunter and found many things. I picked up a cheap Pin Pointer from Harbor Freight and a cheap digger from lowes. Once I made my mind up to pull the trigger, I bought the best I could afford. I would tell you to buy new, from a sponsor here on Tnet, and learn its the operator not the detector.

Expect to spend $400 or more for a basic detector, upwards a $1000 for good detector. They just get more expensive from there. Sounds like you got some places already picked out. Sounds like your into relics. I would go T2. Be sure to ask lots of questions.

Last edited:

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sycotoad, please remain respectful...

If I am not mistaken First Texas brags that Bounty Hunter and their other products are "Made in the USA"..

With all due respect sir, you are not mistaken - It was like pulling teeth to get FT to tell the general public that their two top BH sellers are definitely made in China -

So if a US metal detecting giant believes the quality to be of a suitable standard for their products, it only makes sense to research the many different Chinese manufacturers as to what their standard of equipment they have to offer -

I just don't buy into the usual 'oh its made in China therefore it must be shite' attitude & neither does corporate America

Have a nice day

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well NOOB, he did say a "good cheap Bounty Hunter" NOT the cheapest BH! Nice try though!

Yeah your right - well the good cheap top selling US Bounty Hunter metal detectors are still made in China

Thank you for correcting the NOOB

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After doing some reading on the subject. It is very possible that part or all of any detector could be made outside the US. Unfortunately there are some folks who just love to bash Bounty Hunters. Again I have a older Bounty Hunter that is not China made. Here is what I found:

Assembled in Country of Origin:USA or Imported
Origin of Components:USA or Imported

Welcome to the global economy.

sycotoad seems to be a expert on clones.

Last edited:

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After doing some reading on the subject. It is very possible that part or all of any detector could be made outside the US. Unfortunately there are some folks who just love to bash Bounty Hunters. Again I have a older Bounty Hunter that is not China made. Here is what I found:

Assembled in Country of Origin:USA or Imported
Origin of Components:USA or Imported

Welcome to the global economy.

sycotoad seems to be a expert on clones.

First off - I don't dislike Bounty Hunter metal detectors - either US made or Chinese made ones

As for clones I am no expert but I do look into as much as I can before I pass on information - I have always taken the approach to NOT rubbish any metal detector until I have at least tried it -

A college and I purchased two Chinese metal detectors from two different manufacturers to see how good/bad they actually performed & compare them against each other - They were a counterfeit T2 & the GoldFinder2

The fake T2 was absolute cr@p - The soldering work on the pcb was shocking and the wires they used were too light - The entire unit wobbled when you swung it - It was just terrible - We boxed it up ready to send to FT in the USA as Mike Scott wanted people who had these to send them in for testing

The GoldFinder2 on the other hand is a totally different story - As seen on youtube, they do airtest coins 15"+ - They are well made and perform very well indeed - The workmanship on the inside is also of a high standard & the entire package is backed up by fantastic customer service - Parts are readily available if you should damage anything - We also boxed this unit up to send to Mike............However what stopped us from following through and sending our findings and machines to FT was the fact that Dave J stated that he would crush any copies that FT received, so we decided that we could not afford to donate that much $$ to them -

Kinda sad really as I live in NZ, yet was passionate about FT and was doing everything I could from here to try and help the company I felt loyal too -

I have no-where near the experience many of you have but I am an addicted passionate detectorist non the less & have owned 30+ detectors in the 30 months I have been involved in this hobby - Certainly not an expert in one or other, however it was more important to me to secure a complete package that suited where I live -

The Chinese managed to do that - If I was living in the USA it would be a different story

No I am NOT saying China have the best machines as that couldn't be further from the truth, however if you feel comfortable spending around $800 for a T2 that's all good but you can get a GoldFinder2 for around $140 + shipping and it operates & looks 100% like a T2, but performance is around 85% -

So to sum up, I believe $140 to be a cheap Chinese metal detector (+ UR30 Headphones) that is well worth the money -

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other

There are two BH models designed in the USA and manufactured to our specifications under contract in China: the BH Junior and the new VLF. The BH Junior we also manufacture in El Paso depending on supply and demand. All other BH's are made in El Paso, as are all Teknetics and all Fishers.

--Dave J.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are two BH models designed in the USA and manufactured to our specifications under contract in China: the BH Junior and the new VLF. The BH Junior we also manufacture in El Paso depending on supply and demand. All other BH's are made in El Paso, as are all Teknetics and all Fishers.

--Dave J.

Thanks Dave, some people just don't get it when it comes to US products manufactured in China.
Not bashing anybody but many people confuse "made in China" with "designed in China".
Anybody buy an Ipod or Iphone lately? Did you question the quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread