Phil Robertson Treasure Commander TC3X

PlayingInTheDirt

Nov 17, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Nokta Fors Relic, Sunray X-1 Probe, Garrett Pro Pointer, Coiltek Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it's made in China by Efx Swarm/ Wild Game Innovations. Seems to have the same features as their MX series, but price is increased for the TC signature units due to licensing fees and color changes.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
PlayingInTheDirt

PlayingInTheDirt

Nov 17, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Nokta Fors Relic, Sunray X-1 Probe, Garrett Pro Pointer, Coiltek Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just seen one of these on eBay and looked it up because it looked cool. Lol I came to tnet and searched to see if anyone was talking about it. Sure enough here is the thread. It is made in China and I bet that touch screen wouldn't last long in the muddy fields I hunt. If I need gps I do have my iphone to mark good spots in the woods. I really doubt this machine is worth the 400 dollar price tag. But it does look cool and it looks like china was trying to copy the etrac and ctx 3030. But I can guarantee the minelab tech is not in this machine. Would be interesting to see a real world test of this machine to see if you could even use it in the muddy dusty conditions. Prob just a park and tot lot machine. Just my opinion good luck everyone and come on snow would you please let up already!

Last edited:

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't like the fact that it has a touch screen display. Dirty fingers and a touch screen seem like a bad combination to me.

E.V.

Greenie
Mar 30, 2014
Troy,Va
Detector(s) used
Nautilus,Fisher 1260,65,66,70,Garrett GM3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Efx 300 Swarm with built in GPS. Great depth!, Excellent graphics. Pinpoint is very shallow,almost useless, but to old Nautilus diggers like me-who needs a pinpoint mode?.GPS seems to work o.k. Tones work well. Display is excellent. Price is low but build quality is excellent. I like it!

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,

New to the forum here as far as postings but have lurked for some time now....I came across a gentleman from England yesterday that is here on vacation at Treasure Island, Fl and just picked up the TCX3 5 days ago to do some beach hunting.
He is up there in age and felt that the PR TCX3 was a bit to heavy for his taste after one day swinging it so he offered it to me for $150 cash.

He was in a bit of a bind also after losing his preloaded credit card for the vaca so I felt it was a win-win for both of us. He said that it would help him out alot to carry him over for a couple days until he gets a replacement.

He bought the TC3X new and only put a couple of hours on it and I couldn't have had a better place to test it as he is staying right on the beach so I gave it a few swings to make sure it was all good. Got a few hits and dug some trash and few coins after 10 mins so I was on my way with it. I will check this thing out and can give some feedback here for anyone that may be interested.

I will say that it may be a touch in the heavy side for some peeps taste but it does come will a nice wide shoulder harness/strap which once I put it on and adjusted for me made it feel alot better. I can see where the weight may be a issue on a full day without using the strap.

The touch screen is nice a bright and easy to read and has a kick ass bright backlight. I can see the issue with screen possibly getting scratched from abuse but it looks and acts just like a capacitive touchsceen LCD that you would find on a smartphone. (Gorilla glass? I doubt it...) They seem to take a pretty good licking. The screen is sensitive to the touch but not to much so you don't trigger other inputs that are close. I think I will go with a screen protector for a smartphone or small tablet and cut it down to fit just to have the protection. Heck, I could make tear offs for it like in Nascar...lol!

Vol is 8X adjustable and plenty loud but the unit only has the 3.5mm headphone output jack with a attached rubber plug/cover. Worked fine though with my Beat's earbuds! Would just need the adaptor for the 1/4" jack full size headphones I suppose.

For the $$$ I wanted to see what it can do so on to the meat and potatoes, maybe tomorrow if it is dry enough out. We have had a few days of rain here but it's supposed to start clearing up now. I'll post back after I get a few hours with it.

Last edited:

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, had a chance to break the TXC3 out for the first time on Sunday and overall it performed well. No issue's at all and has good ground balancing, excellent discrim and nice custom setup's. Loved the easy to see large touch screen which worked like a dream. No issue reading it in sunlight but could use the ability to tilt it a bit side to side as well as the forward back but I focus on the tones first then the screen second so isn't a really a issue. Id's were good on coins as well as trash. The pistol grip with the trigger pinpointer worked well. Found myself ground bal a bit more after using the pinpointer alot though. Hit a handfull of clad at up to 10" deep and found a set of bike lock keys about 5" that hit hard. Had to set the the vol on 2 out of 1-8 with headphones so no issue with vol there.

It is a bit top heavy without the strap imo so some may have a issue there, but with it, it never crossed my mind. I got it 1 day old in the box for $150 and I would buy another all day long for that price. Haven't had it out at night yet but with the large bright backlit color screen and the bright coil led I think it will be fine. The coil light makes a nice bright circle about 20-25" out from the coil all the way around getting brighter towards the center and the tilt screen will move it out forward quite a bit which should a plus.

Can't change to diff. coils kinda sucks but overall I am pleased with it and look forward to doing some beach runs into the night with it soon. Will post up how it performs in the dry/wet sand and water.

HH all!

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back again with another quick update using my TC3X from central Maine. Just here on a visit and decided to bring this one along for the trip. Been doing some lakefront property hunting along with some light to med woods stuff and the unit still is performing above my expectations. No issues with it's functions and I love the big lit screen and coil light for evening hunting. Nothing to complain about yet...:dontknow:

Dug some old junk iron and some trash here and there. Handfull of clad coins and a few decent wheats, one indian, a few silver dimes and quarters. Found a broken silver necklace with a heart charm and alot of bullet shell casings from the hunters. Going to hit a few older homesites around my grandmother's place over the next few days and see what it spits out. Then on to some real old sites in a few parts of town. If I find something nice I'll take a few pics and throw it up here.

Until then, keep your coil on the ground and keep reaching for the gold!!!! :goldbar:

T

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like it's working good. What kind of depth are you getting and does it false a lot on the beach? I think it's a cool looking detector but I would be hesitant with a touch screen in the muddy situations. My at pro buttons get real muddy but I just dunk the unit in water to clean or run it under the hose. I know you can't do that with this one but a damp rag may be ok. Does it separate ok. Is there a smaller coil you can buy for it to use in iron infested sites? Good luck.

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like it's working good. What kind of depth are you getting and does it false a lot on the beach? I think it's a cool looking detector but I would be hesitant with a touch screen in the muddy situations. My at pro buttons get real muddy but I just dunk the unit in water to clean or run it under the hose. I know you can't do that with this one but a damp rag may be ok. Does it separate ok. Is there a smaller coil you can buy for it to use in iron infested sites? Good luck.

Sorry I didn't get back quicker. Depth has been fine. My digging tool is 11" in length from tip to handle butt and I had it all in the hole today hitting 21 quarters no problem so 12" isn't a reach. A dime closer to 10" imo and pulled out 7 today. Id's that come in solid repeatable are right on the money..(pun intended). I know what I'm digging for the most part.

It does tend to get really chatty in the wet sand/water until I drop sens to under 5 out of 8 so lt does lose some depth, I say 30% loss but haven't used it alot in the wet/water so still need some more hours on it in that enviroment. Usually have the AT.

Touch screen is awesome and works very well. It's like having a laptop screen and is well backlit in a light blue background. Clear and sharp. It seems pretty rugged and I had it out first few times with no protection but for my comfort I got some tablet screen protector and cut them to fit. I have made a pile of them for like $7 and just replace it when I am done and cleaning up (wipe down with damp washcloth) for next go around. Works great for me so far.

Seperation is ok but my Gamma is a bit better along with the pinpoint on the Gamma imo. But I have the stock concentric 8" on the Gamma vs. the larger 11" DD coil on the TC3X. I think it's about the same as my AT pro with the stock 11" coil. I haven't got a 5X8" coil for the At pro yet but from what I read that's the way to go and I probably should have one on it already.... The trigger pinpoint is decent with this unit once you have some hours on it. Little tough when I first started with it.

Unfortunately, there isn't a aftermarket coil/coils for this that I know of yet so it's best to use in less trashy hunting if possible imo. Has all the discrim and notching one needs though. Weight is a little issue at 3.5lbs but I use the shoulder strap sometimes and it's no problem.

Not a water machine, as to be expected, but solid all around unit with a large DD coil for coverage and very easy learning curve imo. Super fast recovery also, much faster than the Gamma and bit quicker then the AT imo. Best aspect if this unit imo.

Todays am total: 21 quarters(2 sil), 7 dimes, 2 nickels, 1 Saq dollar, 1 key, 1 sterling earring, 1 lead fishing weight, 1 St. Crist charm, 17 zincolns...and a loss of 3-5 ilbs in sweat..lol! Hot one out there today!!!

T

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I bet it was hot here too. Oh yea the 5x8 is a must have for the pro it makes the pro a different machine in trashy areas. It will pay for itself because some people just pass those real trashy areas up but with the 5x8 you can pic through a lot of it and find good stuff. I still use stock coil sometimes but I have to say the 5x8 is on 80% of the time anymore. Good luck.

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea, thanks Kodiak! the 5X8" is top priorty right now...my bad...(lowers head and weeps)...lol!

I'll be back in good ole Fl in a few days and just hope all my Maine booty doesn't keep the plane from getting off the tarmac....:dontknow:

T

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, thanks Kodiak! the 5X8" is top priorty right now...my bad...(lowers head and weeps)...lol! I'll be back in good ole Fl in a few days and just hope all my Maine booty doesn't keep the plane from getting off the tarmac....:dontknow: T
lol that's a problem I wouldn't mind having. I have a lot of places around me that I know haven't been hunted but they are all in the river. There was a rev war battle close to my house (4 miles) and the militia was defeated by the indian tribes along with help from the British rangers out of Detroit. Some of them escaped east back towards Pa. Which is along ways from here (over 100 miles). When they retreated I'm betting they dropped or left a lot of stuff behind and they had to cross river very close to battle site to escape. I've walked it in past and rode my atv through there and isn't that deep but water moves fast in Some places. I'm really excited to get started on this venture. I had planned to start earlier in year but had some medical problems and getting that fixed July 8th I'm hoping. Good luck on your Florida hunts I will be planning some trips there maybe next year to hunt the beaches. Sry for long post I just got excited about my upcoming adventure in July. Good luck buddy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread