Dec 2, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster GT
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never heard of them but after a tad of research, It is rare, so even if it isn't a great detector, you can probably make a profit reselling it.
If I would you, I'd seize the opportunity, as it is not often something such as this turns up for sale.

Maybe it'll go deep, but assuming it didn't even make it to production, maybe something was wrong with them, so I wouldn't buy it assuming it'll be a great detector. Maybe just a cool showcase piece or a loaner.

Good luck, and I hope it turns out well for you!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
D-Tex was owned and operated by Bill Mahan - probably the most successful treasure hunter to become a metal detector manufacturer. These were, I believe, beat frequency machines. D-Tex was one of the pioneer MD companies.

They had a spotty reputation - some people loved them and some people couldn't stand them.

I found references to several D-Tex MD's but not this one - so I'm guessing it was made in the late 1960's.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Chevyfan2k9

Chevyfan2k9

Aug 27, 2013
Conway,sc
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta 4000,fisher f2,garrett gta350,bounty hunter elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D-Tex was owned and operated by Bill Mahan - probably the most successful treasure hunter to become a metal detector manufacturer. These were, I believe, beat frequency machines. D-Tex was one of the pioneer MD companies.

They had a spotty reputation - some people loved them and some people couldn't stand them.

I found references to several D-Tex MD's but not this one - so I'm guessing it was made in the late 1960's.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

I don't think it was made in the 60's being its a tr/vlf machine maybe late 70's early 80's it reminds me of a garrett ground hog

OP
OP
Chevyfan2k9

Chevyfan2k9

Aug 27, 2013
Conway,sc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never heard of them but after a tad of research, It is rare, so even if it isn't a great detector, you can probably make a profit reselling it.
If I would you, I'd seize the opportunity, as it is not often something such as this turns up for sale.

Maybe it'll go deep, but assuming it didn't even make it to production, maybe something was wrong with them, so I wouldn't buy it assuming it'll be a great detector. Maybe just a cool showcase piece or a loaner.

Good luck, and I hope it turns out well for you!

That's what I was thinking it being rare but it does remind me of a garrett ground hog detector

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Chevyfan2k9:

Thank you for the correction. Looks like I was mistaken! Frankly, it was a guess because I didn't think D-Tex was in business during the late 1970's.

2.0: Here's some additional information - isn't that a photo of your detector?

http://www.treasurelinx.com/d-tex.html

From that website (everything really is on the Internets, isn't it!):

http://ubuntuone.com/p/bTv/

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The De Tex Money King works fine in the GB All Metal mode, plenty of depth.
The TR disc mode is typical of tr non GB mode in that it will not be good on mineralised ground.The coil needs to be held at a constant hight above the ground while sweeping/scanning. For 40 dollars it is a bargin for a collectable oldie in good working order.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Agreed - a nice buy at $40. Vintage detectors seem to come in two conditions - almost "like new" (similar to exercise equipment, many that are purchased get used a time or two and then put away in the garage) and those that have had the heck beaten out of them in the field.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy went to a Garrett VLF/TR after his Garrett BFO with no discrimination. The VLF /TR machines were the first reliable discriminators, but a bit of a pain to use since you had to switch back and forth through the two modes to discriminate. I remember the DTex machines at the few dealers back in the late 60s-early 70s but my few hunting buddies and I went with the Garretts, and I never did see a DTex at a dealer after about 1976. The old BFOs failed over time as the capacitors deteriorated with age, I don't know how the components of the old VLF/TRs do with aging. Some of the Mahan marketed BFOs sold by his Exanimo company were made by Garrett. Mahan, Lagal, VonMuller, and Charles Garrett all worked together back then. I would have loved to have hunted with that crew!!

OP
OP
Chevyfan2k9

Chevyfan2k9

Aug 27, 2013
Conway,sc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went ahead and bought it, and only thing that's wrong with it is a piece is broken off on the part that covers the meter , I wonder if garrett has any covers since this is just like the garrett ground hog

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I remember when they hit the detector shops. It was the late 70's. They were similar to the Garrett Ground Hog. That means they were a good VLF all metal machine with good depth. Not so good with the TR discriminate mode. I believe they are a collector item.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went ahead and bought it, and only thing that's wrong with it is a piece is broken off on the part that covers the meter , I wonder if garrett has any covers since this is just like the garrett ground hog

I hope you actually use it occasionally. Bet that old detector can find old coins!! I doubt Garrett has any, my buddy wanted them to repair his old Garrett VLF/TR two years ago and they told him at Garrett that they no longer stocked parts for that old of a machine, nor did they have anybody left in the service department who had any experience working on them. I'm sure these meters and covers were made from available parts at the time, perhaps you could find an electronics surplus house that had the same size meter cover on something else. There is also a guy who repairs old machines, you might be able to find him through members on the vintage detector forum and/or put a wanted ad here.

Don11971

Nov 27, 2006
WOOSTER, OHIO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I've use this detector for many years. I used to call it the clad king. I would find a Ton of clad with this machine very quickly.. The one drawback is it doesn't go very deep on silver dimes .. But you can find a lot of rings with it.. Good luck it is a fun machine to play with... Mine still in the garage lol

Don11971

Nov 27, 2006
WOOSTER, OHIO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I've use this detector for many years. I used to call it the clad king. I would find a Ton of clad with this machine very quickly.. The one drawback is it doesn't go very deep on silver dimes .. But you can find a lot of rings with it.. Good luck it is a fun machine to play with... Mine still in the garage lol

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Mahan's son, an unfriendly sort, continued the business after Bill died. The Money King was one of his
products. Bill was the genius who made the Coinshooter BFO. Mine still works and one I always have
for old lots. It sounds on non-ferrous 6-8'' targets. Ferrous nulls which save a heck of a lot of time.
Most of my large collection of coins, tokens, brass and copper were found with it. Wish I had two more
like it. When the VLF-TRs came out BFOs were forgotten except for those in the know

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Keith Willis bought out a bunch of left-over D-Tex machines after they closed. Trouble was some models
were packed with a stiff foam to protect the patent. He says it almost impossible to get spare parts out
of them. He's still in business if you can find his number in older magazines.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
They were VLF TR's, very similar in operation (and circuitry) to the old Garrett Groundhog VLF TR's. They would air test at around 6-7" on a quarter, and 8-9" in all-metal, and were somewhat inferior to the old Compass VLF-TR's of the same ilk and age, especially for iron discrimination and separation between it and good targets. The one in this photo was out in right around 1978-1882. My old friend was a dealer back then and he had a new one for sale now and then. The Compasses outdid them, and so did the Garretts, so they fell off the market rather quickly, especially when the Red Baron phase-shift detector came out, and later the new Whites, both created by George Payne. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....Before D-Tex went under...they came out with the Money King (Motion) ...those are really NICE....most of these are Rare to find in working condition....in fact they came out with a whole series of Motion metal detectors which were made to look futuristic....

dnewbury2

Mar 20, 2004
Cherokee, AL, Occupied C.S.A.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Tesoro Golden Sabre and Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a DTex Relic Search 200 years ago. It was my first good detector and I found my first Civil War relics with it. Dtex RS200.jpg

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a DTex Relic Search 200 years ago. It was my first good detector and I found my first Civil War relics with it. View attachment 1128596
That was a Great Detector....wish that I had one. That was a VLF/TR went very deep. Still good to use today. Only a bit heavier and one has to move more slowly than the newer detectors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread