Any body ever heard of COMPASS detectors ??

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
im pretty sure dekalb uses one. he will probably be along soon.

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
YES! I owned a Compass Judge 6. A fine locator! I think it was one of the best for looking for caches. But it got dropped and something broke where it doesn't now work. QUESTION! Where can one send a Compass today to have it repaired?? Does anyone have a working Judge 6 that they would like to sell?

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
I'm pretty sure DeKalb uses one. he will probably be along soon.
nope no compass got a troy man
AP has one solicit him ;) 8)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
EDDEKALB said:
hollowpointred said:
I'm pretty sure DeKalb uses one. he will probably be along soon.
nope no compass got a troy man
AP has one solicit him ;) 8)

i knew it was one of you rat bastards! ;D ;D ;)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o my virgin eyes

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
I have used compasses for years,they are great mds. My favorite was the relic magnum 6, I still have 2 of them. My dad use to have a archery/metal detector store,so I have seen a lot of brands,but stuck with compass and teknetics.

Willy

I was hanging out with a buddy and he had a new treasure mag which I, at leisure, perused. Noticed that there was a Compass ad in the back. Hmmm... I thought that they'd gone outta business; maybe not. ...Willy.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Willy said:
I was hanging out with a buddy and he had a new treasure mag which I, at leisure, perused. Noticed that there was a Compass ad in the back. Hmmm... I thought that they'd gone outta business; maybe not. ...Willy.

Hey Willy;

Compass is still out there, but its very small scale now. I think they mostly just do repairs to the old machines, but haven't really looked into that.

I was just looking for a manual and saw mention of it on one of the dozens of websites I visited. Just so happens a friend of mine was in town and earlier today he was clearing out a bunch of stuff that had been damaged in a fire and he gave me what was left of his old Compass Magnum 420. (I understand it was the top of the Magnum line.) I haven't really inspected it yet, but the button on the handle is sorta melted, along with the meter being somewhat deformed by the heat. There wasn't enough heat to cause the coil to melt or warp, so I'm hoping its ok, but the cable to the coil looks like it needs replacing. Looks like that old Garrett of mine, is going to end up being used for parts for the Compass.

F.
P.S. If anyone has the operating instructions for the Compass Magnum 420, let me know. Thanks!

Willy

hey there! Long time no see. Diversified Electronics outta burnaby has a few Compass magnum coils kicking around (they used to be a Compass dealer).; I noticed at least 2 of the sniper coils there. You could probably get them for a song. ..Willy. BTW, I'm back in the Okanagan for now. Figure that I'll head up to madden lake and do some detecting.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Willy said:
hey there! Long time no see. Diversified Electronics outta burnaby has a few Compass magnum coils kicking around (they used to be a Compass dealer).; I noticed at least 2 of the sniper coils there. You could probably get them for a song. ..Willy. BTW, I'm back in the Okanagan for now. Figure that I'll head up to madden lake and do some detecting.

Hi Willy

As much as I would like to get one of those 4" Magnum Prospector coils, ( I saw them called that somewhere on the web), I seem to have a little problem with the machine. I popped new batteries into it and it seems that the audio isn't working. Neither the speaker, nor the headphone jack is putting out any sound so, it looks like I'll have to open her up to see if theres anything obviously wrong under the hood and do some probing around with my digital multimeter. Surprisingly enough, once I unfolded and bent the indicator needle back into place, (without it breaking off :o ), it actually worked even though the clear plastic cover is missing and the white plastic part of the meter is kind of deformed near the edge.

I still don't know if I'm using it properly without the benefit of a manual to guide me, but it looked so much like the old Garrett that I just did the same things, but with the extra need to adjust the ground balance, (which was a snap to do). If I can figure out the audio problem, I'll give Diversified Electronics a call. I currently have a coil that I think is an 8 1/2" and even with some bubbles in the coating of the wire to it, it still seems to work ok. I'll test the wiring while I have it opened up and if it looks like it will work, I'll just tape it up for now and stay out of deeper water. ::)

I've never been up to Madden Lake, but I did hope to get up to Fairview this summer to poke around with the MD and hopefully get in some fishing. I don't think theres much left of the old townsite, but I thought it would be worth a few hours. Are you going after some of those trout while your there? I hear theres both Brook Trout and Rainbow Trout to be had, along with kidfish, (aka: Redside Shiner). No, theres no Gold Fish, sorry. :D

Good luck out there.

F.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
gold fish said:
A friend of mine who is looking to get started digging this spring has an older compass brand MD, I am not sure of the model. So far I have heard that they are good machines, but any advice would be appreciated.

Hi gold fish

It pretty much depends on the model of Compass. As others have mentioned, they did make some really good machines. They also made some lesser models without ground balance and minimal settings options. It all depends on what kind of soil your friend is going to be using his Compass in and what they are looking for. If you can find out that information and the model number of the Compass, that would help determine what its capabilities are and whether or not it is suited to the intended purpose.

F.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Its me again. Just thought I would follow up on my Compass situation. I've posted a new topic with pictures of it in the Service and Repair forum here:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,89031.0.html

It needs help :( and I don't know how to diagnose the problem, so if anyone with MD electronics knowledge wants to take a look, feel free to post a reply via that link.

Thanks.

F.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you remember your first girlfriend ? Do you remember that first kiss ? I do. Do you remember your first metal detector ? I rented it. I kept it for six months while I decided what to buy. The owner of the shop would just laugh and let me pay some more on my rental. It was a Compass Yukon 77 Bravo. I would love to have one that works. It would be sorta like seeing your first love 40 years later...

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how deep does a compass go on caches?

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
The Compass Goldscanner Pro, Relic and Coin (both the same, with a different name), the 80, 100, and 200 series will beat a 3030, Explorer, or v3i for depth in bad soil, but you will need the 12" coil, and they are hard to find. The 8" DD will match the other mentioned, but you may have to send the detector in for a tuneup at East Texas Metal Detectors so Keith Wills (their pioneer tech at Compass) can give it its max depth. There is a European switch or pot inside (I forgot which) that can increase the depth, but I wouldn't mess with it unless you are a school trained electronics tech. Keith may have a 12" for sale, maybe a 6" too. He seldom has any touch pads though. The old compasses bring top dollar, the last Goldscanner I saw at eBay sold for $1100 used. We old guys know their value..:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread