Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I had to retire my original pin pointer. It was a Whites Bullseye 2. I had repaired it once when the momentary on switch wore out. I replaced that and used it until last week when it broke once more. This time I think the variable resistor used to adjust the sensitivity shorted. The pointer cannot be adjusted at all. The tone is on all the time when the on switch is depressed. I haven't thrown it away just yet, lol. I will see about replacing that resistor too one day. Instead I ordered the VP 580. It is water proof and should make a good companion to my AT Pro which I got to water hunt this year in the many creeks, old swimming holes and the rivers locally. I have tested it very briefly in a very short hunt. This pointer communicates with vibration instead of sound. It is tip only detection so you know exactly where a target is and has an automatic shutoff feature to save battery life. My only dislike so far is the size. It is much longer than most pointers, so use of the included holster is recommended. It will probably be next week before I can use it for more than the few minutes so far, but I will update my thoughts on this pointer ASAP. Until then, any users of the VP 580's please post your opinions and experiences for me. Good luck to all.:coffee2:

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. After a bit more use, I thought I would add to my thoughts on the VP. I am really liking the tip only feature. It leaves no doubts where the target is. I used it very quickly today in a creek when I wanted to wash a couple finds off. It found 2 tiny little .22 casings. It said they were in the silt and small gravels in my hand, but I really had to look to find them. This pointer's vibration gets stronger as the target gets nearer. Once you get used to the on/off mechanism, you can handle it like a pro. I can't wait for the water to warm up to try it there even more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread