AKA Sorex pro

OP
OP
N

NIBBLER

Apr 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well took it out today in the field to one trashy site.I have hammered it for over a year and wanted to see what was left.After about 2 hours,I can say that I am really pleased with the performance of the sorex pro.I picked up over 15 targets ,which consisted of a silver plated spoon a couple small buttons and a number of brass pieces.I did dig iron while I was getting use to it.Its not perfect but once I was understanding what It was trying to tell me ,the iron recover went down a lot.Had the 6x10 coil .Its got the depth and sensitivity to get the small targets.Very pleased with this machine.Next outing will be taking the sorex to a ghost town that I have hammered for over twenty years.Sandy ground ,not a lot of trash .Will swap out coils and put the 9.5x12.5 inch coil on it.

GMD

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2015
Aix en Provence, France
Detector(s) used
Banditto II, Minelab X-Terra 705, Teknetics T2, Sorex Pro, Golden Mask 1+ UK
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to have a Sorex Pro. I bout it from an European dealer for 650EUR - very expensive machine for what it does. Sold it after 3 months - very noisy, not a pleasure to work with. Super sensitive in the air, but not even closer in terms of depth to my beloved and cheap (link removed by mod for rule violation) in the ground.
If you want an advice: don't trust the adverts, buy only after a real world test. I made the mistake to trust some Sorex adverts and paid some 350EUR for that mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:

StiV

Greenie
Sep 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a Sorex Pro. I bout it from an European dealer for 650EUR - very expensive machine for what it does. Sold it after 3 months - very noisy, not a pleasure to work with. Super sensitive in the air, but not even closer in terms of depth to my beloved and cheap (link removed by mod for rule violation) in the ground.
If you want an advice: don't trust the adverts, buy only after a real world test. I made the mistake to trust some Sorex adverts and paid some 350EUR for that mistake.
Cheap advertising for Golden Mask. AKA Sorex Pro are much better machines with much more features :)

Last edited by a moderator:

GMD

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2015
Aix en Provence, France
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cheap advertising for Golden Mask. AKA Sorex Pro are much better machines with much more features :)

No, it's not. The Sorex works much better in the air, but all we do search in the ground, right?
I was in a search trip with a friend, me with the Sorex and he with a Golden Mask 2 - an old model running at 8kHz.
We found a Turkish copper coin and we decided to test how deep the Sorex could go. We borrowed the coin at some 30 cm (12") and started to swipe. The Sorex indicated the coin with a very faltering signal changing the VDI from extreme left to extreme right - it usually do this for very rusty iron, but in this case it was a cooper coin. The Golden Mask 2 indicated the coin with a definitive non-ferrous signal. I changed frequencies on the Sorex (I was with the 3-frequency elliptic coil), changed the search mode, changed everything, but never had a better signal, a signal that I would dig...
After that day, I sold the Sorex and got a Golden Mask 1+ UK with a 12" Spider coil - much better for me. Not as deep as the Golden Mask 2, but very sensitive to gold and tiny objects. Very simple controls and lighting fast.
Oh, forgot that - the Sorex has a speedy mode to work within trash. That mode is really fast, but the depth is horrible, absolutely useless, except if you want to search coins that were spilled yesterday and are still on the grass.
And when I wrote the Sorex is no closer to my 1+ UK, I mean complex qualities, not the depth only. In some conditions, for example on a non-mineralized soils, the Sorex is as deep as the deepest machines on the market, but the game changes right after you change soil conditions. On mineralized soils you just cannot ground-balance the machine. It non-stop screams faulty signals and if you have a good target, you cannot distinguish it from the faulty ones.

Last edited:

StiV

Greenie
Sep 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why did you change your location from Bulgaria to France ? :)
We know, you sell Golden Mask. Because of this, your post (with link to GM web site) is the first negative post for AKA. Very pity...
Have you read other forums and reviews for AKA? If not, read on to make sure how many people are fascinated by them, especially by Signum.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GMD, no ads for non supporting vendors and no ads at all in Brands Forum..

OP
OP
N

NIBBLER

Apr 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have no problem getting very good depth and performance out of the sorex pro!Thats why I have 2 of them.
In my ground they handle it just fine.
Your results may be different.
The amount of digging iron has went down to almost nothing.About the best machine at id'ing iron I've ever used,and I been doing this
for 25 years.
Oh and I also have a golden mask 5 also..

Mastak

Jan 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it's not. The Sorex works much better in the air, but all we do search in the ground, right?
I was in a search trip with a friend, me with the Sorex and he with a Golden Mask 2 - an old model running at 8kHz.
We found a Turkish copper coin and we decided to test how deep the Sorex could go. We borrowed the coin at some 30 cm (12") and started to swipe. The Sorex indicated the coin with a very faltering signal changing the VDI from extreme left to extreme right - it usually do this for very rusty iron, but in this case it was a cooper coin. The Golden Mask 2 indicated the coin with a definitive non-ferrous signal. I changed frequencies on the Sorex (I was with the 3-frequency elliptic coil), changed the search mode, changed everything, but never had a better signal, a signal that I would dig...
After that day, I sold the Sorex and got a Golden Mask 1+ UK with a 12" Spider coil - much better for me. Not as deep as the Golden Mask 2, but very sensitive to gold and tiny objects. Very simple controls and lighting fast.
Oh, forgot that - the Sorex has a speedy mode to work within trash. That mode is really fast, but the depth is horrible, absolutely useless, except if you want to search coins that were spilled yesterday and are still on the grass.
And when I wrote the Sorex is no closer to my 1+ UK, I mean complex qualities, not the depth only. In some conditions, for example on a non-mineralized soils, the Sorex is as deep as the deepest machines on the market, but the game changes right after you change soil conditions. On mineralized soils you just cannot ground-balance the machine. It non-stop screams faulty signals and if you have a good target, you cannot distinguish it from the faulty ones.

I used 3 years AKA Sorex Pro, and sold only because it bought AKA Signum 7272. To date, I do not see a better detector. And the fact that you write mask better than Sorex - complete nonsense. I tested both detectors personally. And there, Sorex saw the goal, the mask is silent!

Last edited:

GMD

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2015
Aix en Provence, France
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why did you change your location from Bulgaria to France ? :)
We know, you sell Golden Mask. Because of this, your post (with link to GM web site) is the first negative post for AKA. Very pity...
Have you read other forums and reviews for AKA? If not, read on to make sure how many people are fascinated by them, especially by Signum.

Because I live in both countries.
Yes, I am part of the team that sells Golden Mask in France. I'm not trying to hide this, as you can see I registered with the nickname of the store.
My firs post is about what I know. Yes, negative, but not for AKA, the Sorex Pro only. I have not owned other AKA models, so I could tell only about the Sorex.
Yes, I have read many forums about AKA. More than that, I used to have a Sorex Pro for about an year and swiped it in Bulgaria and South France. So I know exactly what the Sorex is capable of. Yes, it is unbeatable in the air, but in the ground it's different. The Sorex Pro cannot ground-balance in Eastern Bulgaria nad many regions in France, where a lot of Iron Dioxide is present in the soil. If one succeed to ground balance, the depth is horrible and the machine doesn't stop to produce faulty signals. On the same ground a Minelab Eureka goes deeply in the ground.
In Bulgaria and most part of Europe the depth is the main merit for a quality machine. In France it's the same. Because in Europe there are nice finds as deep as 1-1.5m down - the coinage history here goes 3000 years back. In America it's a completely different story.
If you take a look in the Bulgarian forums, there are lots of Sorex machines for sale and no one buys them. And don't think Sorex and Signum are equal - they are not. The Signum is a good machine (a Bulgarian friend of mine has it), the Sorex is not. I deeply regret buying the Sorex Pro based only on some videos. But that's only me.
This is what I think, I don't enforce anyone to think in the same way, nor my opinion is related to the company I work for. Just another opinion.

GMD

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2015
Aix en Provence, France
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no problem getting very good depth and performance out of the sorex pro!Thats why I have 2 of them.
In my ground they handle it just fine.
Your results may be different.
The amount of digging iron has went down to almost nothing.About the best machine at id'ing iron I've ever used,and I been doing this
for 25 years.
Oh and I also have a golden mask 5 also..

Yes, everyone's results may be different, because we do all search in different areas. On light soils the Sorex Pro works fine. On tough soils it's awful IMHO.

StiV

Greenie
Sep 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On mineralized soils you have to use 3kHz, and everything is fine. If you try with high frequency, of course will be awful.
Your opinion is based on tests with the older model Sorex (with golden shaft), not Sorex Pro which is much better, than you tested.

GMD

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2015
Aix en Provence, France
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On mineralized soils you have to use 3kHz, and everything is fine. If you try with high frequency, of course will be awful.
Your opinion is based on tests with the older model Sorex (with golden shaft), not Sorex Pro which is much better, than you tested.

No, mine was the Pro version with the 3 frequency elliptic coil.

SuchMuch

Jan 7, 2017
St.Petersburg
Detector(s) used
AKA Sorex Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After reading this thread I finally understood why StiV tested Intronik STF over Golden Mask 5 :laughing7:

Actually the test goal was to show the prevail of STF technology (2 frequancies at once) over single frequency technology.

Golden Mask 5:

The same targets at the same depths and Intronik STF:

The action took place on Bulgarian mineralized grounds

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread