Newbie here, some recommendations

Y

y2kbird

Hello,

I am new to the forum, and to Md'ing, have always wanted to do this sine i was a kid. now that i am older have som espare time and spare money, I was wondering if someone could point out a good md , i got the whites video sent to me and wathced it, then hit their site, looks, all good, but after hitting the net i guess there is so many things to consider . First off I dont really want to spend more then 500$ , can Ido that and still find a good md that will do all terains, and go deep and discriminate trash from reeal things... and help would be grreatly appreciated.

thanks.
tmj

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
y2kbird said:
Hello,

I am new to the forum, and to Md'ing, have always wanted to do this sine i was a kid. now that i am older have som espare time and spare money, I was wondering if someone could point out a good md , i got the whites video sent to me and wathced it, then hit their site, looks, all good, but after hitting the net i guess there is so many things to consider . First off I dont really want to spend more then 500$ , can Ido that and still find a good md that will do all terains, and go deep and discriminate trash from reeal things... and help would be grreatly appreciated.

thanks.
tmj

Hi y2kbird;

Your lucky just to have both spare time and spare money. This hobby might help remove both of those "burdens" from you. ;)

Personally I haven't had the benefit of enough spare money to buy a new MD, so I can't make any recommendations on which might be better for you, other than from what I've seen mentioned on this forum. I do know that some of the lower end and even middle range detectors, lack the ability to operate properly in highly mineralized soil, such as is usually found in areas containing gold. (This was a problem I had with a shortage of funds and desire for a MD that could be used in such areas.) If your not planning on getting into nugget hunting, that would be less of a concern for you.

If you are "going for the gold", (in the form of nuggets), then you might consider getting a good brand name used MD, or even one of the few mid range MD's that has a lifetime "transferable" warranty. In the new category, I've heard that Tesoro makes some reasonably priced MD's with good abilities and if I'm not mistaken, I think they have a lifetime warranty. Personally, (based on my limited finances at the moment), I like some of the older Compass and Fisher MD's, which often sell on eBay for under $200 U.S., (thats when I can find one that actually ships to Canada).

I currently have 4 MD's, the 3 listed on the left under my avatar and a very old Bounty Hunter that I haven't bothered putting a battery into to see if it works. Like my old Whites, the Bounty Hunter also has 1 knob a speaker and headphone jack, (thats all its features). My old Garrett seems to have a problem, but its lack of manual ground balancing, is what prevents me from spending any time with it. I'm ordering a new cable for my Compass Magnum 420 and maybe another used coil, (if Diversified Electronics in Burnaby, B.C. answers the phone next time I call). My Compass isn't the best model, but its quite acceptable and does have a history as a nugget hunter.

Whatever you buy, try to get at least one spare small coil, (a second larger spare coil has uses also), and don't leave it at home in the garage, or the back of a closet. They make them for a reason. Going over the same ground repeatedly and marking areas of interest with some colored chalk, (like that used in construction for snapping chalk lines), is a good way to find out how good your machine is and figuring out what it is trying to tell you. Finally, go to a dealer and ask for a demonstration. If they don't want to offer a demo, then leave with your hand on your wallet.

F.

OP
OP
Y

y2kbird

Functional said:
go to a dealer and ask for a demonstration. If they don't want to offer a demo, then leave with your hand on your wallet.

I havent been able to find any dealers in Cols, Oh,, also what exactly is ground balancing?

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
There are a few detectors that you can get for under 500.00. I am sure I can help you into the one you need. Give me a call.
www.tcmetaldetectors.com 860-623-1153
Ground balancing is the process where the detector is "tuned" or balanced so that it eliminates interference from iron minerals in the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread