Newibie need help with choice of Metal Detector [Please help]

Hunterino

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello treasure hunters,

I am new and I am glad to join the hunter community. I've been reading the forum for few hours straight and I didn't find the answer that I expect. Since everyone is asking about the best metal detector to begin with in beaches my question is quite the opposite:

Q: What can you advice for searching treasure in the forest, generally land purposes and yeah maybe from time to time dry land beach? Generally for treasure hunting, relics, rings (silver or gold), coins.

I can give max 800 EUR for a detector machine.

Thank you very much guys.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Safari with a 15 inch DD WOT is pretty good. Combined with a Gold Bug Pro with 11 inch oval DD would be a good combination. The Gold Bug will find the small gold chains and also does a fair job on saltwater beaches

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett AT Pro

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're going to hunt in forests with lot's of underbrush, one aggravation I have is with the "open" coils, I'm constantly snagging the coil on the underbrush. While I view DD coils as revolutionary to the industry, a solid bodied coil would present less aggravation.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honestly, I would also search the European forums, see what their advice would be, or what the most common detector is in your price range... As you mentioned Euro's, 800 worth sounds like a good amount for a capable machine, equivalent to the Garrett AT Pro.

OP
OP
H

Hunterino

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the answers. I have another question, what does mean that the White's MXT pro is in demo state? I saw this on an auction website. Although the seller didn't explain the meaning of it He just added that Demo state on his item title. Does this mean something or?

The Garrett AT pro seems to be promising, I saw couple of videos on YT.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the answers. I have another question, what does mean that the White's MXT pro is in demo state? I saw this on an auction website. Although the seller didn't explain the meaning of it He just added that Demo state on his item title. Does this mean something or?

The Garrett AT pro seems to be promising, I saw couple of videos on YT.

It means it was loaned out as a demo machine to sell them. Doesn't tell you much about the condition except that it is used.

OP
OP
H

Hunterino

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about the white's TDI? It's a Pulse Induction detector metal if I am not wrong. Would it be good for forests and later on for beach? is it worth to invest a little bit more and to buy the White's TDI instead of Garret AT Pro?

Or a Garrett Infinium LS ?

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whites TDI is OVERPRICED! It is a weak Pulse Induction machine that DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE. No, it is not worth the extra money. If you want to go beach detecting get a Tesoro Sand Shark PI for a whole lot less, and stay with the Garrett AT Pro for on land and Fresh Water.

OP
OP
H

Hunterino

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites TDI is OVERPRICED! It is a weak Pulse Induction machine that DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE. No, it is not worth the extra money. If you want to go beach detecting get a Tesoro Sand Shark PI for a whole lot less, and stay with the Garrett AT Pro for on land and Fresh Water.

Alright, probably my last question: What is the difference between the White's MXT and and the Garret AT Pro (The cons and pros). Also if I would like to go for a Pule Induction machine (with discrimination) what would you guys recommend for a price between 800 EUR and 1200 ?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are NO pulse induction machines that discriminate - NONE. Some say they do, but they do not.

OP
OP
H

Hunterino

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are NO pulse induction machines that discriminate - NONE. Some say they do, but they do not.
All right. Noted.

So what PI machine would you recommend for the price between 800~1200 and What is the difference between the White's MXT and and the Garret AT Pro (The cons and pros).

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All right. Noted.

So what PI machine would you recommend for the price between 800~1200 and What is the difference between the White's MXT and and the Garret AT Pro (The cons and pros).

Use the Internet. Google / Bing both machines and YOU decide what the differences are. If you want a PI - JUST FOR THE BEACH, get a Tesoro Sand Shark, or a Whites Dual Field.

OP
OP
H

Hunterino

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use the Internet. Google / Bing both machines and YOU decide what the differences are. If you want a PI - JUST FOR THE BEACH, get a Tesoro Sand Shark, or a Whites Dual Field.

And a PI for normal land, forest, etc? That we can also use for the beach

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
H

Hunterino

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And for the Garret AT Pro what coil is best to use? The 5x8 or 8x11 ?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will want both coils as both have their uses....the 5x8 is great for seperating in trashy areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread