a fair review of an ebay metal detector part 2 the beach

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
having taken my ebay special ie xj9 pro i wasnt excepting a lot it wasnt so much about finds but learning about the machine in question first i tried dry sand didnt find a anything so then i went to the dreaded black sand it went crazy but i find be changing the settings i could cancel it out still didnt find anything but i sure learnt a lot i buried a coin at approx 8inchs in dry sand got a signal strenght of five bars on it pretty good i thought then i went home thought about things and found a 2p piece in front garden. at approx 8inchs i think this machine is very underated i myself thought the same turns out it is hard to pin point things but iam sure the performance i get will be much improved with practice any other of one of these machines i would love to hear how you got on with it and in particular i would like to see an expert dectectist using one that i think would be interesting

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Finding anything other than more dirt at 8" is nothing to sneeze at. Good for you! Sounds like you got a reasonable deal there. Not everyone would buy a "Made In China" MD and fewer still would admit it. Have you tried detecting a high Karat gold ring? If you don't have one around, try a small piece of lead, like that from an old wheel weight. By the sounds of it, you managed to detect silver with that find you mentioned.

I don't think my old Compass would pick up much at an 8" depth, but I haven't tried yet. I'm waiting on a cable for the coil. Maybe I'll put a bandaid on the cable for now and give it a shot this weekend.

Enjoy the addiction!

F.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Some of the Chinese built machines are starting to catch up with western detectors. After all they just copy everything, and don´t pay any royalties either. I´ve got a Hartman detector with LCD display, and it´ll give the ACE a run for it´s money down to 6 inches, with good discrimination, and repeatable signals , even though it´s a China Cucumber.
I also have an XP GoldMaxx Power, an ACE 250, a Viking 6DX2, and got rid of a 1266X (Got stolen from me actually). It´s a machine I loan out to beginners, and use on sand, if it breaks, it hasn´t cost me a lot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread