is it me or do i sense a little snobbery here

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
i dont post very much, I'm usually lurking in the shadows, but I had to respond to this one. I have a BH, got it x-mas 2007. There's really only one place locally that has detectors so I went there first to talk with anyone bout how to use it. I was told not to waste my time with BH and any machine under $400 was a toy regardless of manufacture. I never went back to ask more questions, I then discovered the forums while doing research. I've been to lot of forums where the posters were nice til you said you owned a BH, then they either don't really want to talk with you or almost talk down to you. I go to 3 forums mostly to "lurk" (including T'Net) and while everyone's been nice, once a BH is mentioned it seems there's not as many people that will reply. Now, if I go to a forum that I've never been to and I ask questions I wont mention my machine for as long as possible.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Tony66 said:
i dont post very much, I'm usually lurking in the shadows, but I had to respond to this one. I have a BH, got it x-mas 2007. There's really only one place locally that has detectors so I went there first to talk with anyone bout how to use it. I was told not to waste my time with BH and any machine under $400 was a toy regardless of manufacture. I never went back to ask more questions, I then discovered the forums while doing research. I've been to lot of forums where the posters were nice til you said you owned a BH, then they either don't really want to talk with you or almost talk down to you. I go to 3 forums mostly to "lurk" (including T'Net) and while everyone's been nice, once a BH is mentioned it seems there's not as many people that will reply. Now, if I go to a forum that I've never been to and I ask questions I wont mention my machine for as long as possible.

I can understand how you feel... so what I did was advertise what machine I use and then for a few summers posted the heck outta some great finds... I was making the civil war junkies green with envy and finding everything from gold to silver to coins to relics... and more bullet lead then I care to remember.

The most important thing about detecting always has been and still is "location - location - location". That's all.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Tony66 said:

I can understand how you feel... so what I did was advertise what machine I use and then for a few summers posted the heck outta some great finds... I was making the civil war junkies green with envy and finding everything from gold to silver to coins to relics... and more bullet lead then I care to remember.

The most important thing about detecting always has been and still is still "location - location - location". That's all.

While I agree that location is extremely important, the thing I've noticed to be the most important is how well you "know" your detector - no matter what brand it is. It's like anything else of course and you get what you pay for, so in essence it's probably true that a $1000 detector is "better" than a $200 detector, but in the hands of someone who really knows his machine, I'd be willing to bet the experience would quickly even that score.

Just my $0.02.

No snob here btw - as long as you're having fun, I don't care if you're using a stick with a battery duct taped to it :).

One other neat thing is all it takes is one REALLY GOOD find to be able to upgrade your detector to the next size up.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
I'm all for buying the best you can afford, but if truth be known, most metal detectors rarely see the light of day because the user tried them out once or twice, found nothing, and buried them in a closet. I bought an inexpensive Bounty Hunter years ago, found a lot with it, and then upgraded once I realized I'd stay in the hobby. And I've probably owned 30 or so detectors since. And every one of them found metal. If I had $2000 to spend on a detector, why would I let the money burn a hole in my pocket? If metal detecting is your top priority, then spend all you can. Even though I currently own 5 detectors and love to relic hunt, I also love to tournament bass fish, gold prospect, spend time with my family, hunt arrowheads, etc. So it's all about how much you have to spend, and how important it is. My buddy has as much fun with his Discovery 3300 as I have with my T2.

mrwirtner

Greenie
Oct 29, 2008
Tyrone, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
no snobbery here either, i started on a 28$ harbor frieght "beep and dig" detector. and till i upgraded i had found 15$+ in clad, a pocket watch body, and more pop-tabs then id care to mention (actually spawned my indian name "pop-tab") it actually impressed my buddy who uses a whites spectrum how much i found with it. but i knew going in there would be limits to what i would find with it. and kept in the back of my head that i would eventually upgrade. and now that i have upgraded (ace 250) i realize that every detector has a learning curve, and once you get the hang of it it doesnt matter if you paid 5$ or 500$. i dug every target with my cheapy and i was happy with it (im easily amused). if it makes ya happy, swing it till the cows come home (or the wife calls) thats what its all about

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
If you are satisfied with what you are finding, that's all that matters. Can't be much simpler than that.
I always like to find more and deeper :tongue3:

g

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.................And the metal detector does not necessarily have to be cheap to get weird stares and looks.................I use mainly vintage detectors like the Wilson Relic and Coin and the A&H Pro2...........some people want to knock detectors just because they are old or just not very common!!......also if I mention that the Pro-2 is 25 years old I get comments like it can't be very good or is not very sensitive to coins..........How about 10 inches on a silver quarter!!............Not bad for a 25 to 30 year old detector!!..........I like Bounty Hunters too..........I have a DE280 Outlaw that I need to work on to get it running again!!.......... It has a great green bright target light that glows when a target is detected!! .....................HH...............Joe

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
I remember the Wilson machines as well as the Old Bounty Hunters. Great detectors. I found more with a C&G Technology Bobcat than any machine that I have owned. It was about the size of a 4" long piece of 2"x4" attached under a straight rod. Coil was 6" in diameter and close to 2" thick. Was one of Jack Gifford's early detectors, before Tesoro, if I'm not mistaken.

That is when every place you hunted was virgin ground :tongue3:

HH

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.......Back when every site was Virgin Territory..........we didn't know it ........we just thought all of the silver coins was normal!!...............I remember when some hunters would bypass some sites just because they knew that the silver coins to be found there was "COMMON"....................Normal was finding like 10 silver coins in the same day at the same site....sometimes finding 20 to 30 silver coins on one site in one day seee seemed to be normal!! And of course...we all knew someone who could even outdo that!!......................SURE MISS.................THE GOOD OLE DAYS.....................LOL...............Joe

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Joe(TX) said:
.......Back when every site was Virgin Territory..........we didn't know it ........we just thought all of the silver coins was normal!!...............I remember when some hunters would bypass some sites just because they knew that the silver coins to be found there was "COMMON"....................Normal was finding like 10 silver coins in the same day at the same site....sometimes finding 20 to 30 silver coins on one site in one day seee seemed to be normal!! And of course...we all knew someone who could even outdo that!!......................SURE MISS.................THE GOOD OLE DAYS.....................LOL...............Joe

Those were the days all right. Finding pre 1964 coins back then, was like finding clad nowadays.

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
I figure I'll add my .03 here...
I have a bounty hunter quick silver that my brother gave me,I have found well over $600 worth of stuff with this 'beginner" metal detector....
I went to the whites store to look at the 'upgraded' ones, he said all machines beep and they all find metal.Kinda like cars,speed limit is say 55, you can drive 55 getting 8mpg with no ac in a hotrod or get 30 mpg and chillin in a cheapie....your still going 55 :icon_thumleft:

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Yes the reason I left this forum is because of the all the snobs, and crybabies on here. So I had to leave, I only check in once every few days to read, not to post.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
relichunters said:
Yes the reason I left this forum is because of the all the snobs, and crybabies on here. So I had to leave, I only check in once every few days to read, not to post.

Almost all forums are like that. Ya take the good with the bad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread