is it me or do i sense a little snobbery here

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
first things first I mean no disrespect this is only my point of view so bear this in mind when you reply. lol

Is it me or do i sense a little snobbery here when i have mention cheaper md's the replies are often why waste your time go for a named brand etc etc. My viewpoint on this is
isnt it better to buy a cheap md try it out and then upgrade. I guess what iam trying to say the people that have the expensive md's had to start somewhere. I wonder how many people brought the very best only to be disappointed the way I see it is that experience will work wonders even for cheaper md,s this is my plan to hit every easy target within 15 miles find enough to pay for the md I brought and have enough to upgrade to a named brand how long will this take i estimate roughly about 7months mind will I keep the Viking 5 the old model sure will it has given me priceless memorys and ÂŁ9.38 to date two days searching for an total of 6hrs and to all the oldhands out there thanxs for the advice

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: is it me or do i sense a little snobery here

No Snobbery here.

I have met a couple of BH users, Who told me
they seem to be avoided because of their choice in detectors.
Told them I'd search with them anytime.

You Buy what you can afford.

& ENJOY !

Happy Hunting & post your finds for all of us to Enjoy.

Jeff

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I've used BH's since the 1970s...

I don't care what anyone else thinks - no snobbery here. Also, I have been treated pretty good on T-Net and have some cool finds to show for it.

You do what you do. Be you.

The rest of it is petty bull sh*t.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a difference between the word
cheap and the words low priced.

Think anyone would be a fool to pick a
"cheap" machine; but a low price machine
could be a bargain, and do what you want
it to do ;) ;D

have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

beerbarrel

Jun 24, 2007
Houston
Hello STRIKE IT RICH! I have read T-Net for a good while before joining. I, too, sensed that. I have often wondered what is meant by a "cheap" detector, are they talking price wise, construction, features, etc.? But after reading your thread, I believe you are right. However, after reading Jeff of pa, Montana Jim and Shermanville's response, I have no doubt in my mind, that these guys would not be snobby or hold it against anyone for having a lesser model metal detector. I feel that the companionship, enjoyment and sharing your finds is what I feel detecting is all about. I hope I don't offend anyone with my response, as it is my own opinion and I wish everyone on T-net to find that "Pot of Gold" they are after.

Beerbarrel

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello Strike It Rich!
Most of the folks on the forum, to my knowledge are good, decent, hardworking folks or they'd be out on a golf course somewhere. Talk about snobbery "and" expense! :)

Buying inexpensively to get started is probably a good idea for a lot of hobbies but, I'm not so sure it's a good way for the SERIOUS MINDED to get into metal detecting. Certainly a lot of good finds have been made with those less than a c note detectors but I wonder how many hours of swinging did it take to accomplish the deed? What is your time worth? Luck is a good companion to have no doubt and Luck found a lot of those valuables. I wonder how many more "GOOD" finds could have been made if everyone used top of the line? Personally, I think a person should buy the best he or she can afford tacking on a couple of hundred dollars for good measure. In all honesty, what hobby can you get into, purchasing the very best equipment for under, let's say $2000 for coinhunting? Not very many my friend.

Incidently, my favorite motto of all times is "Why go if you can't go big?"
My wife's favorite reminder motto is "Don't come home, if you purchase another detector?" :)

GRB

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did the right thing. I started off cheap mainly because its all I could afford. Also I didnt want to sink a huge amount of money in something before I knew if I would enjoy it or not.....kinda like my wife! I lived with her before we got married. I just had to make sure ya know. ;D

If your ever in the KY area I will hunt with you anytime anywhere. Dont let the thousand dollar machine people get you down. The point is to have fun and if you are thats all that matters. Would it be anymore enjoyable if you dug a clad penny with a BH or a Minelab?

Tom

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with the less expensive detectors and used up a lot of time trying to make them do what they could not do and that was discriminate well and go deep. As soon as I was able to save up enough I bought a major brand and have stuck with them ever since because I don't have that much time to waste anymore wondering why the dang thing won't beep on the nickel on the sand.

There is nothing wrong with hunting with the best you can afford and many talk about moving up all the time. If you have the means to purchase an upgrade, I say do it now before you are to old to get out and enjoy life. So long as you are having fun, that is the way to go.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beerbarrel said:
Hello STRIKE IT RICH! I have read T-Net for a good while before joining. I, too, sensed that. I have often wondered what is meant by a "cheap" detector, are they talking price wise, construction, features, etc.? But after reading your thread, I believe you are right. However, after reading Jeff of pa, Montana Jim and Shermanville's response, I have no doubt in my mind, that these guys would not be snobby or hold it against anyone for having a lesser model metal detector. I feel that the companionship, enjoyment and sharing your finds is what I feel detecting is all about. I hope I don't offend anyone with my response, as it is my own opinion and I wish everyone on T-net to find that "Pot of Gold" they are after.

Beerbarrel

Why would anyone give a rats behind about what kind of MD you have??? I mean we all drive diffrent cars...If it works for you fine....I like to know how good others work, other than that you can have a Micronta kit detector, and I would hang with you..BTW built one of those in 1972 with my dad, never found anything smaller than the family car.............

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Re: is it me or do i sense a little snobbery here (MAYBE)

Ok, I will admit it, our advertisers, those who support TreasureNet, (fyi - we have turned down companies because of their lack of quality products!) get my highest recommendation!

THAT being said, I have put hundreds of hours on Bounty Hunter metal detectors... However, that was in the day when metal detectors were analog. I have no experience with the newer models.... nor have they shown ONE inkling of wanting to support our community.

I welcome an email from them... and would gladly edit this post... I STARTED on Bounty Hunters! :)

Feel free to pass this along!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Marc said:
Ok, I will admit it, our advertisers, those who support TreasureNet, (fyi - we have turned down companies because of their lack of quality products!) get my highest recommendation!

THAT being said, I have put hundreds of hours on Bounty Hunter metal detectors... However, that was in the day when metal detectors were analog. I have no experience with the newer models.... nor have they shown ONE inkling of wanting to support our community.

I welcome an email from them... and would gladly edit this post... I STARTED on Bounty Hunters! :)

Feel free to pass this along!

I've never-ever been giving any trouble here on TreasureNet for using Bounty Hunters... I've posted a bunch of relics and a few coins here that I've found - and am proud that my machine holds it own against the other's finds... (I don't coin shoot much - but when I do I find pockets full).

Bummer that they don't want to support, but by shear volume probably sell more machines then any other company. Yes they make some crappy low end stuff too... but they are not a toy company.

I've always liked mine, and never felt that anyone here gives me a hard time about it. They might attack the product a little bit, but who cares.

Marc - I don't blame you one bit for supporting those who support the site.

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Montana Jim said:
I've never-ever been giving any trouble here on TreasureNet for using Bounty Hunters... I've posted a bunch of relics and a few coins here that I've found - and am proud that my machine holds it own against the other's finds... (I don't coin shoot much - but when I do I find pockets full).

Bummer that they don't want to support, but by shear volume probably sell more machines then any other company. Yes they make some crappy low end stuff too... but they are not a toy company.

I've always liked mine, and never felt that anyone here gives me a hard time about it. They might attack the product a little bit, but who cares.

Marc - I don't blame you one bit for supporting those who support the site.

Jim, thanks for your kind words, (and GREAT posts!) and you are right, there is NO snobbery here!

I miss my TR500, and IB 200 AND IB300! ;)

NOW I am dating myself lol lol lol.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
strike it rich said:
first things first I mean no disrespect this is only my point of view so bear this in mind when you reply. lol

Is it me or do i sense a little snobbery here when i have mention cheaper md's the replies are often why waste your time go for a named brand etc etc. My viewpoint on this is
isnt it better to buy a cheap md try it out and then upgrade. I guess what iam trying to say the people that have the expensive md's had to start somewhere. I wonder how many people brought the very best only to be disappointed the way I see it is that experience will work wonders even for cheaper md,s this is my plan to hit every easy target within 15 miles find enough to pay for the md I brought and have enough to upgrade to a named brand how long will this take i estimate roughly about 7months mind will I keep the Viking 5 the old model sure will it has given me priceless memorys and ÂŁ9.38 to date two days searching for an total of 6hrs and to all the oldhands out there thanxs for the advice

Some of the cheaper md's are not very good. Some probably won't detect over 4 inches deep and will only read something as small as a soda can.
One of the newbies on here had bought a cheap detector from a large online retailer and was very unhappy with it. They bought one that costs a bit more, a name brand this time,and tried it.Still nothing but large trash items.

The person asked for help in what they were doing wrong. They weren't digging anything but large trash items...that is all the detectors picked up.The person was almost to the point of giving up detecting.
I suggested for them to send both cheaper detectors back and get a better name brand and suggested a detector. I even told them it is the one I use and look at other posts for the same detector.

The person sent the 2 cheaper brands back and got the better unit.
They started finding coins the first time out, where they used the cheaper detectors a dozen times each before.

So a cheaper detector is NOT always good as a first detector.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
It is the mine is better than yours mentality. There isn't much of it around here as there are in some other forums. On occasion it gets a little debatable but overall it isn't bad.

I'm the proud owner of "those cheap machines" Bounty Hunter, Radio Shack and Teknetics...I am very happy with the results.

In my opinion it isn't the machine, it's what the operator can do with a machine. To put it into a perspective - I've seen guys take a P.O.S. rifle and shoot bullseyes all day, I've seen guys with the most expensive rifles can't hit a barn at 50 yards. It's 90% operator and how well they work the settings on their machine, 5% the machine and the other 5% luck.

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
eagle77 said:
It is the mine is better than yours mentality. There isn't much of it around here as there are in some other forums. On occasion it gets a little debatable but overall it isn't bad.

EXACTLY - TreasureNet, it's owners and mods are probably THE MOST neutral of all the treasure hunting sites! I don't see "snobbery" here.... Honesty yes, snobbery, no.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
To me, buying a "cheap" detector, means buying the best detector I can afford, that will do what I want it to. As it turned out, I was given my Compass Magnum 420. I would have been willing to stretch my meager budget to get it, but someone with more money, than willingness to repair, chose to buy another MD instead of fixing this one. I'm not complaining. ;D

I've had other MD's that couldn't do what I wanted, like my White's Coinmaster that can't detect gold, (at least not asmall nugget directly in front of the coil). And my Garrett which had no ground balance. Now I have a machine that does most everything short of being submersible and it has the ability to find both ferrous and nonferrous materials, or beach hunt even in salt water. It might not be the deepest and theres no fancy digital display, but to me, that rocks! :D

When I see a newbie looking to spend a few hundred dollars or more on a new machine, it seems like a waste to me, as MD's like my Compass are often for sale on eBay for half that, (or less). But, people are free to spend money foolishly if they choose.

F.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote for spending a little money....

Call me a snob, if you choose. I've been called worse. Me personally, I don’t care what you use. In fact, I’ll be glad to hunt with you. I just won't let you struggle too long with your cheap detector, though, before loaning you one of my backups.

If all you can afford is a $10 detector, well then, your choice is made. Make the best of it. But I suspect anyone who is here on a computer, at home, sipping tea and waxing philosophic … well I should imagine that you can probably budget for more.

Like many, I got my first taste of detecting with a crapazoid detector. A friend of mine let me use it. Then I got a real detector and, yes, I spent some money on it. Some time later, I tried some other crapazoid units. Whoowheee, I couldn’t imagine how shoddy they were. I also wondered how I might have bombed, had I begun in earnest with them.

Have you ever bought a cheap tool that you took home and used - and it fell apart on you. You kicked yourself for getting that "bargain" tool afterwards, right? It's okay, we all do it. My point is this:

Lots of people like to say:
“A good operator with a bad unit will do better than a poor operator with a good model.”
They like to spout this drivel whenever the chance arises, mostly because they've heard others do so - and it sounds cool.

But, those same folks would'nt be caught dead trying to build a house with a 1$ hammer. Go figure.
Crap is crap, my friend… polishing a turd only leaves you with a shiny turd.

Make no mistake, do what you must with what you have. But I recommend you select any detector you expect to truly work well for you based on a $200 new cost limit. Keep in mind that there are many good used instruments out there that fit into this figure, too.

I urge you to make that a Good Sense Rule of Thumb. If you don’t, odds are you will come to regret it.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I really could care less what detector someone is using. I just enjoy seeing what people are finding and posting. I know there is some kidding and joking with some folks about their detectors, but this is done in a fun manner. I would gladly hunt with any person, who enjoys this hobby as much as I do. So get the detector you can afford and just go have a great time.

PAPPYGOL

May 15, 2008
niles ohio
Detector(s) used
grand master hunter cx2 ,,. , fisher 1235x 1236x2, 2 coin computers, garrett freedom 3.
here is how i see it. i use an old garrett master hunter ads7, most of the time. or a compass, a bounty hunter, or one of my whites, THEY ARE ALL OLD MACHINES NOTHING NEWER THAN 1990, , BUT!!!. I KNOW HOW THEY WORK, INSIDE AND OUT. IVE WATCHED GUYS HUNTING WITH NEW MACHINES. ALWAYS IN THE PRESET MODE. NEVER GETTING THE FULL VALUE FROM THE MACHINE. MOST KNOW NOTHING ABOUT SETTING ANY CONTROLS. JUST PRESET. THE WAY I SEE IT!! THEY SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A $100.00 MACHINE, AND SPENT THE OTHER $500.00 OR $600.00 AND WENT ON VACATION SOMEWHERE TO METAL DETECT. ALL IN ALL, JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A $600.00 MACHINE. DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING,, EXCEPT YOU SPENT MORE MONEY.

Diggin in GA.

Aug 19, 2007
Northeast GA
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, Ace 150, Fisher F4
You will never detect snobbery from me. I started with a Bounty Hunter that was a Christmas gift from my inlaws. I used it for about two years then sold it and bought a White's Prizm II that I still have. I traded around for an Ace 150 for my daughter. I will have a Fisher F4 here tomorrow that I bought here used. So I am slowly working my way up as I can afford to do so. It dosen't matter what kind of detector you swing as long as you have fun while you do it, and the excitement you feel when you are trying to find what made the machine sound off makes it all worth it. Happy hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread