any advice for the md 3009(apart from buy a better metal detector)

Gregmid40

Mar 20, 2013
Advance, NC.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Fisher 1225,1260,1265,1266,1270X, Garrett Freedom Ace CDC, MP Series MP5 Pro, Garrett Coin Hunter TR Disc. (1978), Mikron NRG-110, De
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any help would be great in respect of maxium depth,pinpointing etc thanks

I believe from a Youtube video of a British gentlemen taking this MD through its' paces, he says it can go about 9" on a single coin.

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back from the dead after more than 6 years!
My hope for the toof fairy being real has a chance

Gregmid40

Mar 20, 2013
Advance, NC.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Fisher 1225,1260,1265,1266,1270X, Garrett Freedom Ace CDC, MP Series MP5 Pro, Garrett Coin Hunter TR Disc. (1978), Mikron NRG-110, De
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back from the dead after more than 6 years!
My hope for the toof fairy being real has a chance

Actually they do detect to 9". And this model is far from being a discontinued ('dead' as you put it) model. You can still order these through Alibaba Express or through Seben (German company) online. If you'd get one and try it out instead of making these stupid, uneducated remarks. Shows just how narrow-minded some people can really be. Bet you don't know how to spell 'toof' correctly either? I use these machines (every other day) when I'm out hunting with my partner. YOU DON'T NEED AN EXPENSIVE METAL DETECTOR TO GO DEEP. Keep an open mind and you may learn something Sir. Get a less expensive non-digital detector. Turn your sensitivity (up to max) or as high as you can get it before it starts crackling. Set your disc. (down) to pull tab range right before discriminating the pull tab. Sweep slow and low to the ground. Don't arch the machine like you're swinging a golf club. Triangulate the target then cut your 3-sided plug. Flip it over, pinpoint and retrieve your find. You (will) find a lot of thin gold that the more expensive detectors miss because the operator doesn't have the machine set up right and/or, there not swinging the machine parallel and close to the ground, or they don't know how to interpret the signals correctly and/or the digital screen is not accurate as a lot of times they're (NOT). Yes, even on the expensive models. Sorry but that's the truth though. Last but not least, when you're done, flip the plug back down making sure all the dirt gets back in the hole, then step down on the plug till it's firmly patted back down and no one would even know you were there. Be respectful and responsible. Remember, a lot of these reckless individuals leaving open holes ruin it for the rest of us. So be responsible. Proud owner of; vintage Fisher 1260x (11" coil), DeepTech Vista Gold (was made in Plovdiv, Bulgaria), Mikron NRG-110 (made in Varna, Bulgaria), Brinkmann Sensor 4000 TR non-disc., MP5Pro(Chinese and was sold through Kellyco), Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840 (First Texas), Whites Coinmaster 5000D/G.E.B., etc. 25 years metal-detecting experience. Started out with the Fisher 1225x back in 1989, then 1265x, 1266x(hot on deep targets).

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg Strike it rich made this post 7 years ago and has not been on the forum since 2008...

Please remember you can not attack or insult members.

Flex did not attack you, he made a joke because the original post is 7 years old and has not had a reply posted in it since it was posted until yours.

3%

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greg, I can attest to your statement about going SLOW and close to the ground. I used to hunt an elementary school yard that had been 'hunted out' for several years. A friend went with me and we started finding older coins quite deep. I was using a BH 840 and he was using a BH Red Baron. Others had not taken the time to slowly search and left coins that were deeper and worth a lot more than the clad they were finding.
BH 840? I really like those. I've had a 'sick' one for several years and just never found anyone that I thought I'd trust to repair it. I saw one on eBay a couple of weeks ago and bought it. It should be here today. Can't wait to compare it to the other detectors that I have. BH Lone Star, BH Tracker II 2D/707, BH Tracker IV, the 840 that will be here today, a Harbor Freight MD-3005, and the broken 840. Just waiting now for the weather to get better!!

Gregmid40

Mar 20, 2013
Advance, NC.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg Strike it rich made this post 7 years ago and has not been on the forum since 2008...

Please remember you can not attack or insult members.

Flex did not attack you, he made a joke because the original post is 7 years old and has not had a reply posted in it since it was posted until you.

3%

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!
I felt like that comment be it a joke or not, was an affront on my intelligence and wasn't very nice when I was trying to help Strike it Rich. So who was attacking who? I have been put down a lot. If you were on the receiving end, I don't think you would appreciate it either and you'd understand I think. Furthermore, I did NOT know that Strike it Rich had been offline for so long and I don't have time to sit at the computer all day long trying to track him down to see if he is active or not. So to sum it up, I was (trying) to help. 'We will not go quietly into the Night'; Dylan Thomas.

Gregmid40

Mar 20, 2013
Advance, NC.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well great and have fun with it! I used mine to go back where my partner and I had been and I found about 75 extra pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and a few little pendants in his former search area. I was in between two soccer fields and this stuff was stuff that was still +/- 6" down. Get this, my partner who left all those coins behind was using a Whites MXT and was sweeping properly and low to the ground. If you recall, the part in my article where I stated that sometimes a digital machine can mistake a good for a bad target? Well this may be a prime example. Either that and/or it was operator error on his part.So you're in good stead with that Bounty Hunter 840. I think you'll really enjoy it. When I use mine, I always seem to find a lot of goodies with it and also next to and/or in the same holes someone else has already dug. Older can be better it seems. Look forward to hearing how you do. Good luck and happy hunting! Greg.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions