Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_link.gif
I searched
tn_02.gif
and found a bunch of hits - here are just two...

ANYONE EVER USE A C-SCOPE detector in the states (Aug 26, 2008)

cscope cs4pi (Aug 10, 2010)

tn_moved_over.gif

..: Moved from General Discussion over to Brands > Other brands... for more exposure :..​

OP
OP
P

phillld

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2017
Kent
Detector(s) used
CScope 6mxi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool thanks VPNavy!

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have purchased another CS4 off Ebay and am enjoying comparing what I think of it now as against my previous one several years ago..
I can not get satisfactory operation on my back yard test patch due to excessive EMI but it performs fine at a local river picnic ground.
There is some response to the ground minerals that settled down quite well with careful fiddling of the sensitivity and pulse rate controls.
A nice quiet threshold was achieved with the Sens at mid way and the pulse at 3.0 which also resulted in good sensitivity and depth to Aussie coins in dry river gravel. Response to river granite boulders was minimal and of no bother at all.
Weak EMI can be controlled through careful setting of the pulse rate adjust, but as the control is set bellow the green sector depth is lost on Aussie decimal coin. Depth is lost if a silent threshold is used.
The CS4PI has poor response to gold chains when compared to the Sand Shark, Infinium and SDC 2300. You will likely not find many gold chains with this detector. Response to gold & Sil rings is fine.
I have not taken it to a salt water beach yet but if it is as good as my previous CS4, it will be quite good and is where this detector is best suited..

Some approx air test results for Aussie decimal coins: (Sens at mid way and Pulse rate at 3.0
5 c.....18cm
10 c...24cm
20 c..39cm
50 c..40 + cm
2 dollar...28cm
7g 18ct gold ring...38cm

Response to a 1.0g gold nug was poor at approx 4 inches tops.
The Infinium, sand Shark & 2300 gave much better response to this lil nug. So it is likely that the Delay Timing of the CS4PI is different to that of these other tectas.
Also the measured TX field strength of the CS4PI is similar to that of the Sand Shark and approx 10 times weaker than The Infinium....So battery life of the CS4 should be good compared to the Finny.

Some gold ring test results:
Child size 9ct........0.07g to 1.75g....... = 11cm approx
Adult size 9ct.......1.33g to 3.3g .......... = 15cm
Adult size 18ct to 22ct 1.4g to 4.0g....= 20cm
Adult size 18ct to 22ct 1.75 to 6g..... = 25cm
Adult size 22ct 2.0 g to 8.0g..............= 28+ cm

The SS gives better response to small gold rings than the CS4 plus it is water proof.
The SS does not have any form of EMI cancell capability. The CS4 does to a limited degree.
So as a relatively inexpensive PI; Which of these two is better for salt beach work??......Maybe the SS because it is water proof and has slightly better response to small jewellery items.

Just an opinion.
Not Gospel

PS.
Something that has just made itself apparent with this detector and which I had not tested before is that the CS4PI has very poor response to some white gold and most platinum jewellery when the detector is set to the generally accepted ideal settings with the Sens at the 12 oclock position and Pulse rate at 3.0.
Setting the detector to Pulse rate 4 will improve the response to this jewellery but the sweep rate must be slowed down dramatically and even then the target response is very broad instead of short and sharp.
So it is very likely that during normal searching at the ideal settings for gold jewellery and coins, this detector will be missing a lot of white gold and platinum items.
It would be interesting to know if any other CS4PI operator have noticed this??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread