My notes from use and personal testing of Rutus Alter 71 detector

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overall weight and feel of unit is IMO nice,,not heavy feeling.

Both coils.

Btw. Concentric measures 8.125" outside to outside diameter.
Supposed 11" dd measures 11".

I even with little time I have run this unit,,this unit designed to be a Deus killer for the $$$. Question is, is it??

Using concentric coil user likely not to dig steel bottle caps, hodograph paints a good pic of junk target,,a backwards C in the meter. Haven't tried DD coil yet to see what happens here.

Depth is dependent on mask setting,,meaning for fringe depth the lower the better.

Interesting how they gave a user options here to have their targets ID in the meter.
Three choices real-- ID is directly reflective of frequency run and conductivity of target.

Then 2 other options,,you can select either 6khz or 12khz for target ID normalization.

So with saying all this here is some data using each of the above selections for target ID.

I should say the Rutus uses a different scale when comparing to most other detectors-- 0-120.

Some data

Real ID option selected and frequency selected on detector at max 18.4khz
Nickel....79
Clad dime..110
Zincoln penny..103
Copper penny..110
Clad quarter..114

Normalized setting of 6khz selected,,detector still set to 18.4khz
Nickel..52
Clad dime..94
Zincoln penny..80
Copper penny..94
Clad quarter..105

Normalized setting of 12kh selected,,detector still set to 18.4khz
Nickel..66
Clad dime..105
Zincoln penny..95
Copper penny..105
Clad quarter..112

Frequency changed on detector to 7khz,,real ID option selected

Nickel..55
Clad dime..99
Zincoln penny..86
Copper penny..99
Clad quarter..107

Frequency still at 7khz,,6khz normalization selected
Nickle..54
Clad dime..98
zincoln penny..85
Copper penny..98
Clad quarter..107

Frequency still at 7khz,,12 khz normalization selected
Nickel..68
Clad dime..108
zincoln penny..99
Copper penny..107
Clad quarter..112

Preliminary test using 3D test with coin and nails,,detector seems above average with what I see,,,Deus like results,,,not giving either detector yet no advantage,,with time maybe.

Audio,,,Rutus audio not as smooth as Xp Deus,,not as blendy sounding,,leans more toward what I call beeps. This is not meant to say Rutus audio is terrible or anything.

I am still trying to nail down how I want my tones set up using the user programs,,,not there yet.
Does take time though,,user must select each number TID wise and singularly adjust,,,no blocking of groups of tones to adjust.

I do reserve the right here to correct anything I say about this detector in the future.

From what I can tell right now,,Rutus will retain settings when turned off.
Turn back on,,user will need to ground balance though.

Also what ever you have selected,,this is where the cursor will be when you go back in and open menu-- not sure if this happens if you turn detector off though.

Now,,here is where other manufacturers like White's should be paying attention,,Xp as well.

I have read countless Internet forum threads and post associated with just when does the White's V3i and even the Vx3 model need to be ground balanced.

Rutus depending on what you change setting wise will give you ground balance prompt.

This is exactly what White's should have done on the 2 models I mention here.

Xp Deus,,you change freqs,,ground balance doesn't carry over,,should be a prompt..
Now detector companies,,if they do this for future models,,,they could offer a way to override the prompt,,so it doesn't appear in screen. This might be more handy for someone say who is more experience with the detector in question.

Emi,,this detector ranks right up there as being one of the quietest I have run for Vlf,,,even runs as quiet IMO as CTX and etrac,,and DST Fisher units.
Now this from judging in 2 different places with loads of light wires,,and a few transformers.

I should also say,,this concentric coil I received with Rutus is the very first one I have ever owned,,I did run a gents White's XLT with concentric some 6 years ago for around 15 minutes.

Navigating around using Rutus is different,,but not hard,,just gotta get used to it.
Unit seems to ground balance nicely here in my soil.

More to come.

More data

Gain setting,,,run it full bore 60,,all targets pretty much sound the same (loudness) (ideally).
Level 30 setting,,provides some nice proportional depth tone wise on targets.
User likely with approx 30 gain setting won't be digging shallow targets based on strength of tones.

My 10" deep nickle,,,I experimented with running the freq all the way down and started raising incrementally.
My take here,,,run at 12khz or higher for the deeper nickels.
4.4khz and progressing upwards I could definitely tell target was a lower conductor,,,at 12khz nickel comes alive.
Also running in reactive settings 1-3,, user would be hard pressed to miss this nickel with 11" dd coil ttached to Rutus,,very forgiving swing speed,,coil position to get an op to put the brakes on.

I like how this detector give you a reading when GBing is completed,,user if they will watch they will know if they balanced coil over metal.
Detector can be balanced over metal sometimes at least.

Pinpoint trigger has nice location and is smooth.

The batteries for this detector not located where most detectors are located,,they are located underneath and more towards the front position wise.
I am positive this really helps with overall detector balance.

One note here.
My Rutus rod is in the shortest configuration possible,,it fits me perfect this way,,I am 5'11" tall,,,,I could see where a person say 5'6" tall or shorter may find this detector too long for them.
Just heads up.
I have also seen where one gent is 6'1 or 2" and says Rutus isn't long enough for him. He must have some real short arms.

Btw,,my wing span with arms and torso are a carbon copy of my height,,I am as they say very proportionally built body wise.

I stated above concentric coil tells on bottle caps with hodograph,,just remember a coin colocated with ferrous I.e. Nail could fool you here.

11" dd coil here doesn't do as well as concentric,,,person will notice hodograph display trying to switch directions on bottle caps,,,but the same warning here as noted above applies to the dd coil as well as concentric for good targets colocated with iron as far as relivslvity factor of data displayed.

Preliminary results show,,running sensitivity to max 90,,, may not be the best thing to do,,I have witnessed some audio wash out,,level 85 much better signal quality wise on targets. This could have some thing to do with my soil too.

Sweeping bottle caps with dd coil.
What I notice is the more towards the edges of coil when swept,,hodograph signature starts turning more left,,tone starts getting uglier too.
When cap is centered,,signature more appealing but will reverse on sweeps most of the time,,especially real shallow caps.
I hear some tone nuance going on,,but need to spend more time to nail it down.

This detector I think was the one George Kinsey had original from new.
He was trying to get it back,,but I got instead.

He tests a lot of detectors,,,if he wanted another go with the Rutus,,,might tell us all some thing.

Speaking of which,,,Rutus seems in my ground to be more forgiving GB wise than even the mighty Deus.

I can get my 10" nickle using GB preset on Rutus,,,doing actual GB very little improvement on signal. I like that a lot.
Deus signal will improve moreso comparing a 90 GB to actual ground balance of approx 78 when doing pumping GB.
I still rate Deus as forgiving though in GB dept.

This aka Signum,,,no dice,,you have to be spot on,,or extremely little error to detect this nickel. It is wickedly GB sensitive for deeper targets,,,and with a improper GB even if you can hit the target,,,ID can be in error.

I am back on the Rutus trail this morning.

I thought I would share some additional thoughts and info here,,along with a pic.

The Rutus just might be one of the best modern trash hunting site detectors on the market today---especially for a single frequency detector.

I don't know if the manufacturer has a smaller coil currently or plan on doing one,,,IMO they should,,a dd coil 7" or 8" round would be fine.

Now,,I am still not ready to commit to how the Rutus is IDing targets in the ground. But I also feel,,,you must have a good starting point here with this,,to be able to arrive at a better place in the end (target identification).

Other manufacturers should be watching this detector and close.
Some ingenuity went into it.

It exposes a Deus weakness IMO and other detectors too.
What is this exactly.

With Rutus being able to normalize at 6khz,,yet being able to run the detector far, far away frequency wise,,,to detect even lower conductors,,and even allow the detector to separate better in iron.

Probably IMO the closet thing to FBS ID capabilities here,,,yet a single frequency detector.

Below is a pic showing some targets I have tested.
Notice the spread,,,remember a person not necessarily tied to just one freq or even a few freqs for detection with Rutus.

Rutus was run using concentric coil,,at 11khz with 6khz selected for TID normalization.

I will talk about the following targets.

First up a war nickel.. ID 53
Clad nickel 52
Square tab..57
Ring part 58
Tab part of ring pull 46/47
Btw I checked an intact ring pull w/tab,,the parts shown are part of,,the intact ring pull tab read 64
Big ring. 76
Pepsi alum twist cap 81
Pepsi free twist cap 81
Smashed alum cap 77
Zincoln 85
IH penny 1902. 78
Copper penny. 97
Purex lid 98
Yahoo cap. 50-56 with very dodgy hodograph

Folks using Rutus should strongly consider setting up a nickel window for high tone,,say 50-54,, and then stop and judge and dig or not.

Now,,I do realize this is not all the targets(junk) a person could face in some sites,,but I do think this shows something nice here.

I will be doing some depth test soon,,and will be commenting on ID retention as the targets deepen.

I don't expect Rutus will be perfect here without any flaws,,,but I do need to see just how worthy based on soil conditions and depth it really is.

To add here,,I mentioned this before,,I really like how this detector just by the loudness with medium set gain on the shallow stuff. So in other words another way to discriminate.

I think this better spread here a result of combination of yes being able to normalize to 6khz and also the point system Rutus operates on 0-120 for items,,with nonferrous range from 31-120. Ingenuious.

Alright more data.

A first solo flight (hunt) with Rutus detector.

Concentric coil (8.125") used only.

External speaker used,,no headphones,,wind conditions light and variable.

Went to what I call my detector proving grounds.

Only took the Rutus along,,kinda wish I had taken Impact and Deus along.
So no head to head done.

Overall I was very impressed with this short hunt.

I would have bet against anyone $500 they could hunt here and even pull at least 4 nonferrous finds-- guess I would have lost!!!

Folks those own Rutus and like to relic hunt,,DO NOT offload your detector!!!
Now currently I can't rate Rutus for coins but hopefully in the future.

Sounds like I am in the tank here with Rutus don't it??
Nope

But this detector is special in my book,,,if you believe White's V3i, Deus,,CTX, Etrac, Racers, Nokta Relic, Fisher F75s are good to great detectors.

I ran Rutus at max frequency 18.4 khz, sensitivity 81,,,,mask setting 4,, reactivity 3,, 0 discrimation,,set the 0-30 ID region to lowest tone and let the Rutus work and it did.

A few things I noticed.
And btw I did dig some targets,,that were dodgy in one way or the other for verification.

Flat iron,,,seems most of the time,,,will not stay to the high side,,,rather wrap report in the 30s range,,tone nuance/structure will reveal,,hodograph will too.

I did see some targets that wrapped to the 110s region,,pinpoint would show big target.

These 4 nonferrous targets dug,,,all produce very intelligent audio depicting nonferrous,,and some thing else,,a weak and small pinpoint.

Notice all the nonferrous have something in common-- very thin.

I can't say what the actual orientation was on all the targets,,but the bigger (I broke btw) was on edge at 6" deep.

Something else,,,only one of these finds,,did I exhume ferrous with,,the bigger find,,a small nail.

A gold coin like the $1 version should be sweating if a Rutus shows up and a person knows how to operate to find.

I was surprised at the depth of some of these finds,,,this ground here not mild,,4bars on F75 detector,,but this concentric coil for its size seems to have some punch even in smaller thin finds.

The square elongated find was at a measured 7" deep.

Now,,with my settings on Rutus it may be fair to say I didn't have it set up to to be deepest here.

Where I hunted today is right were I started metal detecting back in Dec 2010,, when a gent let me swing his White's XLT for around 15 minutes.

I have virtually lived in this site since trying to learn to detect,, using I think some good detectors.

Across the road is another area not too big,,,where I've spent a lot of time,,it is covered in tall hay right now.
In a couple weeks I will be busting with Rutus and hard.

I sure didn't hunt this entire site I was at today,,,I got hot,,plus I saw what I needed to see,,,,this site is too controlled and I know how hard I've hit.

Do I need more data to climb out on a limb here,,maybe,,,but I am about 3/4s the way out right now,,,one more hunt with similar results in a similar site Inwill climb out all the way on the limb.

Went back to the same site as this morning.
Ran Rutus with concentric coil for around 45 minutes.
Then put 11dd coil on and ran about 1 hour 15 minutes.

Elzippo found,,notta nothing nonferrous.
I did get a good look though at the DD coil to see how it sounded tone wise while cruising over all the nails and iron.

I like how they have the meter designed,,it's function when you get on bigger iron. I ran with 0 disc once again,,,I think this helps too to ID the bigger iron when it tries to come through.

Had a thunderstorm off to my north,,,Rutus would sqeak every now and then. Could hear the thunder.

More later weather permitting.

Avid detectorist,,,engineer Mr Dankowski needs to test Rutus detector.
Why???

Since this detector can be dialed in freq wise from 4.4 to 18.4 khz,,it would be interesting to see....

How does one coil,,,does the coil's performance in depth and separation/unmasking ,,and depending on target's conductivity,,,does all this flow smoothly as freq is lowered and raised,,,basically where in fact is the unit disadvantaged???
Any key freq areas where what a single freq running at any one particular freq does the Rutus mirror or not??

I am not sure if there are a any electronics in the Rutus coils or not.
If Inhad to guess Inwould say no.
But I am making this guess based on when I change coils,,,my Rutus seems to be on the same freq when done.

Rutus needs to make a smaller DD coil and fast.
I said earlier a round,,,no,,now I think they need something like a 6x9" DD elliptical.

The Rutus runs quiet from emi standpoint.
I think most will agree being able to dial freq from 4.4khz to 18.4khZ in 200 hz increments,,this provides definitely a lot of room for emi mitigation should the need arise.

Alright,
Have been placed on weather hold,,so come back home for a while.

I had cows laying in the area I wanted to try today.
And rather than stir them up,and with threatening clouds approaching.

I did the following to help shed light on just maybe what RuTus settings Inshould be using.

I buried a clad dime at Garrett Pro pointer length deep(9-9.125" deep)
11" dd coil used on Rutus.
Tried to keep the plug as intact as possible.

Now this is freshly buried info,,so no one get in a tizzy here.

I varied freq and Groud blalanced with few exceptions.
I'll talk this about later.

I could get the dime tonally using a wide range of freqs.

I keyed on 9khz for some signal comparisons when adjusting mask setting.

I said earlier in this thread that a lowest setting here would yield more depth,,,Based on testing this freshly buried clad dime I was WRONG.

I found in my soil,,a setting of 3 on mask setting did the best (tone and tone wise.
If I went to lowest setting signal was chopped,,pretty bad too.

Also I played with reactive setting.
IMO this setting here,,,emulates a lot of the goings on with Xp Deus.
What do I mean by this?

Using Rutus and dialing reactive setting to lowest setting (1) this clad dime was detectable but tone/signal compromised vs a setting of 2.

Deus in my soil a zero (lowest) setting will make it act very similar to Rutus.

Now in milder soil,,I would almost bet the farm this lowest reactive setting is useful for folks.

Reactive level 3 on Rutus,,dime was still heard but much shorter tone and a little lower sounding IMO.

External speaker was used in test btw.

I even with freq dialed to 9khz,,sensivity 85-90,, reactive level 2,, I dialed Rutus to 60 with discrimination level,,dime still coming in.

But I felt running O disc and having tones set so that running 0 disc is possible so a person can hear the ferrous,,,,the 0 disc setting provided better signal.
I even dhecked disc level 30,, since is is where ideally the iron range stops on Rutus,,signal comparison wise here the same basically as having a disc setting of 60.

Here is some thing interesting,,and this too follows suit with Xp Deus.

I could actually get a signal using Rutus running 18.4khz.
I could get a signal (very diggable) both when I performed ground balance and even when I used ground balance preset (I don't know what level GB preset is btw)
Now signals compared with doing GB vs using preset GB,,when I actually Ground balance the signal was better.

If I started dialing Rutus down freq wise,,signals obtained on clad dime would get worse and worse using ground balance preset level.

I also played with hot rock setting,,,I really right now can rate its affects,,but if a person will notice,,factory deep mode for example has the hot rock setting dialed into positive territory.

Just one target here folks,,,take it for what it worth.
I just need a baseline of sorts to start from,,could I with some tinkering of settings see something different on a deep undisturbed say coin?? You bet

Now the only other Detector I had with me today with stock sized coil was Deus.
So I swept the dime with it.

I won't go into great details here,,,but IMO Rutus gave the best signal.
And I did vary settings on Deus too.

I will bury another clad dime and do the same checks again with Rutus,,and also play with hot rock setting some more to see if I can determine anything even close as far as its effects on depth of detection of nonferrous targets.
If I see anything different when I do redo,,I will post.

What about Rutus TID and hodograph data with clad dime at this depth swept??

Well,,seems you can forget any real visible hodograph info,,a real real short line presentation I guess.
As far as actual TID numbers,,,I saw numbers in the screen on different seeps like 105-112,, and I didn't get numbers on every sweep either,,,,blank screen would happen.

I did see where Rutus tended to show TID number with reactivity at 1 or 2 moreso than level 3.
I may have checked level 4 reactive,,can't remember.

I also need to plant say another 10 and maybe an 11" nickel to see what happens. Especially how low a freq I can detect nickel,,and just how the nickel is reported ID wise.
Will also try to do buried coin tests where depth progressively deepens to get an idea of how settings and depth,,,when can a person start assuming Rutus ID becomes untrustworthy.

I think it is safe to say already here,,Rutus is no slouch at handling at least medium mineralized
soil.

Forgot to say,,Ghound mentioned this earlier,,I witnessed too,,Rutus on this buried dime,,better signal achieved with coil around an inch above ground,,vs scrubbing.

And I should let folks know,,my real coin garden is currently buried in hay,,I do before it gets too tall, take some flourescent paint and paint them so I can find them later,,,saves me time.
Maybe in about 2-3 weeks the hay will be cut and I can have access to.

One last thing,,this is preliminary data,,so I will add this here.
Even using the 11dd coil on Rutus,,in this one site,,,it has iron at different depths.
Shallow, midepths and deeper.
So far I haven't dug any deep nails that were ringing in good and meter/hodograph was saying decent to good target.
I can't say this about all the detectrors I have owned and ran here.

This means some thing,,at least to me.
More to come.

More Rutus data.
11" dd coil used exclusively.
Been dodging rain showers all day.
Went back to the site.
Hunted a while with Rutus,,,got the bright idea,,to use Deus 11" coil to find a target.

What I am trying to do is find out what more challenged targets look like and sound like with Rutus.

I found one target with Deus,,based on total target signature using Deus,,I would have rated probability based on my experience with Deus > 95% chance of being a nonferrous target.

So put away Deus and fired up Rutus,,swept target it was their alright,,,TID was a little rolly Polly,,checked target in 2 reactive setting,,3 reactive setting seemed to smooth out TID reading a bit.
Hodograph has curly cue presentation going ups the screen with some dot spacing. TID reading was coming in between 52-58 on most sweeps.

So cut the plug and only came up with about 3.5" of dirt depth wise.
With plug upside down,,swept with Rutus,,,bingo a dead lock crystal clear with 46 steady in the meter.
So it appears some degree of masking going on.
A piece of brass medium sized.

Clouds starting building again,,so I decided to bury a 10" deep clad dime this time. Ground conditions here not dry by no means.

So sweeping this 10" dime using Rutus.
I could get the dime to tone in,.very coil position sensitive.
Mask setting/ of 5 and 6 signal went bye bye on all sweeps.
I think levels 2 or 3 mask setting sounded the best,,better than 0 for sure.

This is a freshly buried (disturbed) target,,,so folks here be mindful of this,,not exactly scientific in a pure sense for testing or maybe even comparing detectors.

I noticed the same thing on this 10" deep dime here vs the 9" deep buried dime earlier today.
Lower freqs,,seems no real gains signal wise performance wise.

I thought actually on this 10" deep dime as long as I kept freq on Rutus dialed up at17khz or higher,,,this is where I got my best signals.

I played with hot rock setting again,,,If I run hot rock setting positive,,,signal went bye bye,,,going negative on hot rock setting didin't seem to help either but it didn't seem to hurt as much as going positive.

Reactivity level 1 when sweeping this 10" deep dime,,signal is louder vs a level 2 setting but the audio seems like it is cramped in reporting.
Reactvity 2 setting improve with smoother tone,,but lower volume.
Gain was maxed btw.

Something else I saw with this 10" dime,,that seemed to mirror what I saw with 9" deep dime,,,,sensitivity went set to max corrupts signal,,,dial down at around 86 much better on both of these dimes at depth.

I tried 0 disc and also disc level 30.
With zero disc it seemed like the tone would have the iron tone dompnent on some sweeps,,whereas at 30 disc setting,,all high tones.

Meter readings when they showed up were in the 98-107 range.

I think wearing headphones a person could hear this 10" deep dime in reactive 3 setting,,but with external speaker,,better be on your game.

I tried to detect dime with preset GB settings,,result was a very chopped signal.

So,,next I got the mighty Deus with 11" coil out and tried the dime.
I could hear the dime good.
Reactivity settings of 1,2 and 2.5 very diggable signal,,a level 3 setting,,I could hear but I rate only because I knew the dime was down there.
I tried both 8khz and 18khz,,with 8lhz providing a slightly louder signal.
Audio report at level 5 btw,,and this is Deus V4.
I checked using disc level of -2.5 with full tones ,,a lovely signal.
I also checked with disc at 6 and used 3 tones selected,,,not as good a signal IMO,,but there.

On this 10" dime buried,,,Deus gets the nod for best signal,,and more repetitive signals between sweeps percentage wise. From how both detectors signaled on 10" deep dime,,Rutus sounded like it was at the end of very near the end of its detection range here,,Deus sounded like it had a little more ways to go compared to how Rutus sounded. Hope this makes sense.

I don't think versions 3.2 Deus here would have faired as well,,based on my prior testing of Deus v3.2.

Based on some careful test,,, Rutus users whunting hard hunted sites,,reactive levels settings 3 and 4,, IMO will provide some 3D ummasking/separation combined on nonferrous objects-- this 3D performance not seen with a lot of other detector models---hint.

Levels 5-8 IMO tend to be more for advancing the separation capabilities in extremely tight moreso 2 dimensional situations. Depth is limited moreso here using the 5-8 settings.

Key thing here,,for max 3D performance run at max frequency, big difference in say comparing 15khz vs 18.4 kHz.

It has been said by one detectorist/engineer that Xp Deus violates at least one rule of physics if not more,,,well I truly think if this same person tested Rutus detector he likely would say it too violates physics rule to some degree.

It is very apparent now,,whomever engineered and designed Rutus detector,,a bullseye was drawn on the Xp Deus' back.

I still can't say for sure if they hit the bullseye or not.
I can say right now,,appears they at Least got awfully close.
I certainly don't know much about Rutus manufacturer and their prior manufacturer detectors.

The biggie still outstanding for me is mineral handling capabilities Rutus possesses.
Need more time/outings to comment.

And so folks understand,,this talk above is with 11" dd coil attached.

I am not really fond of the concentric coil,,not yet anyway.

All Metal channel and disc can be run simultaneously.

I have run only a little bit so far,,,most of my time has been in sites loaded with iron, not cleaner ground.

Probably a good idea to post link to operators manual
Here is basic version manual
http://rutus.com.pl/en/file-list/download/21

Here is link explaining what version update did. 1.1
http://rutus.com.pl/en/file-list/download/29

This detector not user updatable,,must be done by manufacturer.
Unlike Xp Deus and Nokta Impact.
When folks see the word updated,,they may get the wrong idea.
And we don't want that to happen.

More Rutus tests and comparisons.

I think now after testing on coins buried longer,,not freshly buried,,,freshly buried is tied to the why behind why higher freqs do better.

Over a deep nickel.,,Rutus pounds it in 9khz.
Deus in 8khz falls short here,,does signal but 12khz has to be employed to get equivalent signal to Rutus using 9khz.
What about Impact???
Stock coil,,,good signal using DI2,,even DI3 mode,,,interesting here. DI4 mode doesn't do as well,,,and even by varying sens I can't get DI4 to give anywhere near equal signal as the other modes. I did seem like Imwas getting some emi using dI4 mode though and couldn't mitigate.

Rating these detectors over this one target,,been buried for 2 years.
Rutus ranks tops
Then Deus
Then Impact.
Btw,,,Rutus had 11" dd coil,,Deus 11" dd coil,Impactt 7x11" DD coil.
Deus and Impact with latest versions,,Rutus has original version,,not sure if newer version affects depth capabilities,,from what I've read it don't look like it.
Rutus does give a more wide range here freq wise to detect this target from mediocre to real well.

For a Deus user Using 12 and 18khz the ones to use,,8 khz a user might walk right buy.

Impact,,using 20khz the best,,,then 14khz,,,5khz a no no freq to use here to detect as is 4khz for Deus.

Remember my ground here where this target is ranks 4 bars f75 detector,,or medium minerlized.

Also. Rutus provided a very good signal even running disc to level 30.
Deus was compared with disc at 6,,I did this because this is where both detectors seems to get rid of most nails disc wise.
Did check using 0 disc on all detectors too with associated tones set to actually hunt,,no massaging anything. And the ranking here unchanged.

Impact was checked disc levels 0 and 3,,, a 0 setting did do a tad better.
Imask setting on Impact at 0.
Silencer on Deus -1
Mask setting on Rutus 3.

Also this is important here I think,,this target using Rutus,,,gain at 50 btw,,you up the sens past 83 (and this advancement above 83 seems more linear as far as signal chop) signal sounds choppy on the edges,,,lower sens to 70,, a beautiful smooth signal edge to edge.
Even lowered to 55,, with headphones this signal very diggable.
On a clam day,,even using external speaker in a quiet place with no wind.

Rutus is showing signs of good performance in minerals here IMO,,,still not ready to rank or say how good.

More Rutus data.
This data here may give current and future Rutus users something to think about.

Reactive setting on Rutus does drive depth capabilities.
But here is some test data that might be helpful for a user to consider.

Test object,,,buried nickel 10" deep,,been buried approx 2 years.

Using Rutus in any and all freqs when testing,,,no apparent emi in headphones from an audio standpoint.

Rutus when set to say 3 reactive setting,,,starting at the low end freqs wise,,and only using GB preset value,,,nickel detection don't start happening until 6khz,,7 khz is better,,and As I progress upwards,,I find 16khz to give the best signal.
Now I did check nickel even with an actual GB at 6khz,,,not a signal I liked choppy.

So at 16khz,,where I feel on this one target setting,,,gives the best signal.
This best signal is with lower gain at 50,, and with lower sensitivity.
A level 50 sensivity acquires nickel with diggable signal.

Now here is what is interesting.
If I set my gain to 50,, keep sens at say 65 or so,,,,I can detect this deep nickel using reactive settings 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and yes even 6. I rate the signal at reactive 6 as a signal I recognize cause I know the nickel is down there. The rest wearing headphones are very diggable signals.
Reactive setting 1 is a bit constrictive sounding though.

What I am getting at here,,,if you come off of this 16khz freq setting,,,,you won't detect this nickel in as many reactive settings levels.

If you go to say 8khz,,,you can scrub reactive levels 5, and 4 for sure.
If you go to max freq 18.4khz you can scrub 5 and probably 4 for sure.

Now I did go back and redo checks while attaining an actual GB.
And the same thing(s) were revealed.

So a per own hunting deep nickels,,,could in fact if using 16khz could open up their detection window scenario by using a higher reactive setting.
Now if the nickel were deeper say 11",,would this data change as far as detection?? Likely

And if the nickel were shallower would the data change as far as a reactive window setting for detection?? Likely and a reactive setting of 6 here likely comes more into play as giving a useable signal.

Now how would say a 9" deep dime here play???
This is what Inneed to do and hopefully I can in a couple weeks.

Seems if the Rutus is dialed let's say perfect freq wise for a certain object,,,more latitude settings wise are possible and still attain good signals.

This hot rock setting.
I am still a bit mystified about it.
Why???

The manual doesn't explain this,,,so I will pose a few questions scenarios.

If I adjust hot rock setting to say +5 setting,,,and not do an actual GB but use preset GB is the hot rock setting applied to detector's programming???
Meaning is the ground balance being offset from the preset GB value???

And of course when I do an actual GB to the actual ground,,,it would only make sense any hot rock setting be it positive or negative would be applied to detector.

So does the hot rock setting actually for whatever it is worth,,,,can this be manually adjusting the GB if I use factory preset procedure.

I have been playing around with this deeper nickel.
Wish I knew the real true answers here.

Hunted with Rutus all day using 11" DD coil.
Folks this detector for hunting around iron is for real.

For the 11" stock sized DD coil,,,don't underestimate this detector in iron.

Folks may find this next statement shocking,,but I believe in the truth and nothing but the truth.

With stock sized coils attached to every detector I have Run,,,Rutus is different and IMO different as in " good different "!!

We seem to always hear folks say audio is king,,,let it drive your decision to dig or not.
Guess what,,Rutus here the way hodograph works,,,extraordinary what it does for a user.

This hodograph is not a one dimensional graph,,,more than this.

I haven't been digging much iron or nails with Rutus,,,but have made some recoveries involving challenged nonferrous targets.
Without the meter,,,a user using Rutus will likely dig more iron basing their decision on tone alone or will walk off and away from nonferrous targets.

Some real ingenuity here with Rutus' meter.

If a person let's the iron tone heard mixed in with supposed nonferrous tone,,if they think this iron rolling up to the tone, and then it comes back in after,,,,you walk here,,you may lose.
And believe it or not,,this iron tone you hear here,,,can and CANNOT be caused by ferrous materials,,,in my opinion,,the ground minerals can cause it too in conjunction with shape conductivity of target.

This detector's audio not as digital sounding as another detector that is good in iron,,,but make no mistake this baby if all tools are used and studied,,tell tale signs of a nonferrous target is there.

I guarantee during the first 2 days of using Rutus,,I left nonferrous targets in the ground unintentionally.

The hodograph seems to be really helping give me a dig or no dig decision,,,especially on signals a user would swear is a wrap signal by just listening.

Every signal the coil comes over and higher tone is achieved,,a user needs go through their routine here,,and YES hodograph info I consider very vital.

What are the tale tale signs to look for,,on the hodograph screen.

First does the hodograph data lay down on the screen,,,stretch full from left to right of the screen-- if it does likely ferrous.
Turning 90degees if it looks the same even more likely ferrous.
A backwards letter C style shaped formed in right portion,,likely ferrous.
Most times I see number movement say a spread of less than 30 points,,if you see 90 plus point spread,,likely iron.

A user needs to listen to the melody playing,,,I ran today disc of 5,, max freq 18.4khz,,mask setting 2, gain 50,,sensivity 81.
Used external speaker,,,tried to use full headphones but too HOT.

Is a user sees the little curly cue stream up the middle portion of screen on sweeps,,this I find is very telling, even if you don't like the sound of audio very much.

The trace or little stick sticking more upwards can have slight lean,,,you see this even if the trace tries to lay down when sweeping from 90 degrees,,lookout.

Now iron tone in the background,,,it seems to me it wil, have a very slight break,,if iron tone is stuttering,,,these targets I find are ferrous.
But steady iron tone,,even if it sounds abrasive,,watch the hodograph,,and listen for a consistent melody between iron tone and nonferrous tones with controlled sweep.

This the way the hodograph works,,,reminds me in a way of the cursor on Etrac.

I ran reactive at levels 3 and 4 today,,,did drop to level 2 to try after some dirt was dug,,to signal on what turned out to be a approx 9" deep find.

I need more time on this detector,,,but the tendencies I see right now,,,I am flabbergasted to see how all the tone,,meter numbers and hodograph can paint a picture using this detector.

Something else too,,this detector likes small nonferrous even with 11" coil,,likes round and irregular shapes too.

If anyone gets a chance to be around some one using one of these in a iron ridden site and they know how to operate keenly,,,watch how it performs.
And watch just how little iron is dug.

Simply amazing..

User of Rutus better not be dismissive of targets based on tone alone- big mistake.

Also more times than not,,,a weak pinpoint and small is a good sign of nonferrous,,,but some times the detecting scenario won't allow.

And a user who gets a big pinpoint,,,better not just walk off immediately.
Unless of course you can raise coil signifiant height and still get signal with pinpoint.

Rutus will do some 3D unmasking,,and if you decide to pass on suspect target solely on pinpoint being big(er),,could be a mistake.

Rutus got some real respect from me today.

Even my hunting buddy was resting and I got a signal,,remember I was using external speaker,,,I told him it was a nonferrous target down there.
He said,,what that tone don't sound right with the iron tones trying to dominate.

Out pops the nonferrous.
Oh yea the little curly cue thingy sticking up in the screen, not from all sweep directions either.

I did listen to a few of my find's today after finding using disc level 5,, turned disc up to level 30,,, did this get rid of iron tone altogether trying to roll in on nonferrous tone?? No,,in some cases it may have reduced,,a few it may have elimate altogether or reduced to a smidge.

I have a new addition to my detector family now,,,one that will not be going anywhere anytime soon.

For anyone who's interested.

I have rechargeable batteries in Rutus.

Ran today using highest freq for around 7.5 hours.
Half battery still showing in meter when done detecting.
Using rechargeables,,,,seems the battery meter drops sorta fast at first some,,,then stabilizes.
Likely normal ops since the rechargeables are only 1.2 volts each.

I have noticed though,,you run lower freqs,,,will eat battery power up faster.

Backlight was off today throughout.

Bright sunshine today,,there were times screen was a little hard to see, not many.

Rutus is quiet,,,real quiet.
I like that.
Actually,,,check this out.

Yesterday my friend had his Nokta relic detector turned on laying on the ground.
Remember 19khz Dectector.

I ran my Rutus when dialed to 18.4khz when turned on right up near My buds coil,,,,I couldn't even get any feedback in my audio until I got Rutus coil about a foot away from his coil.

Whatever shielding Rutus has employed,,,it works and works well.

Just so folks understand, Rutus reactive setting can be shifted on the fly.
If a user has the engine menu last selected along with reactive setting,,,all a user has to do hit hit menu button,,and reactive setting will be highlighted,,and user can adjust,,,,no additional GB required either.

I find this useful to use,,,based on how free or how tight a site gets in areas ferrous density wise.

A Deus user,,,if you have used one as much as I have,,you'll basically in your head think Deus plus 1 on the reactive setting to get similar performance in the separation and unmasking departments.

Now Rtus does go up to 8 on the reactive setting vs Deus with five levels.
I am still playing with higher reactive settings on Rutus,,but not enough use/info to comment.

Something interesting with Rutus hodograph info.

I have tried to rig some unmasking tests using nonferrous items and nails.
I can use a big piece of iron and place on top of clean concrete and get more or less the same backwards C in hodograph.

But the signatures I saw yesterday on nonferrous targets using Rutus,,,I cannot seem to duplicate them.
I can here the tonal effects on test rigged for unmasking,,,but hodograph data don't help here at all.

So it seems the ground and or masking materials are making hodograph do something different here,,,this is not bad,,,But a Rutus user trying to see how the hodograph reads by trying to booby trap say a few coins with nails,,might get mislead somewhat.

And this is why I likely left nonferrous targets in the ground unintentionally,,cause I did this above.

Anyway,,Inhave run aka sorex, aka signum (I still have btw) and Rutus.

Just yesterday,,I was pushing weeds over,,tall grass,,,detector ran quiet for this scenario.
Now,,if you get a tad rough with coil,,bump it,,it might give a tingle or 2.

Now,,aka sorex and signum,,,you do what I did with Rutus yesterday,,,,you get a load of falses.

My Rutus with both 11 dd coil and 9x8" concentric coil,,, for exposing coil to what I call challenging situations,,,tall grass, weeds,,small sticks,,,,does very well.

IMO even better than my Minelab CTX does if that means anything. I rate CTX good here.
And even better than the White's V3i I had wearing stock 10dd coil. I rate V3i bad here.

Blisstool V6 suffers too in this department.
I rate v6 Blisstool bad here.
Nokta Impact does well,,Deus too IMO
Nokta relic does well too.

I hate running a unit that falses with very small impacts of coil,,just not my cup of tea. I can use a unit that does,,,but having to use a unit gingerly takes more time and patience,,and makes for quite a few resweeps.

All this my first hand experience.

Couple things. I finally accessed the video.

If folks will go back up and read here,,,Ghound commented on Rutus gives better signals with coil off the ground,,,not scrubbing.
I have seen this too.

Yesterday I was hunting an area,,I am very familiar with.
At one point my Rutus started getting noisy??
Why??
Because the ground changed phase.
I have hunted this place so much with Deus,,,and watched how the ground changes when I move to parricularly this one area in field. And not a small change either rather a large change. 10 points on Deus.

A reground balance with Rutus,,,back to purring.

I also had to change GB setting on Deus too,,other wise even nails start sounding too good.

I really like Rutus GB system.

And remember when you ground balance Rutus you bobbing coil,,not dropping all the way to the ground.

Based on my use thus far,,,Rutus not having a tracking GB or a manual way of setting,,,,this is the least of my concerns with this detector.

Watch the video again above.
The target around the 5minute mark,,,I didn't see the hodograph signature when target was detected,,,but I did see the hodograph reading when target was in plug. See that little curly cue thingy on meter,,,when I saw that,,I knew the target was not iron.
This is what I saw yesterday on a lot of targets.

Also worth mentioning,,when alerted to tone you see hodograph with no signature info,,yet you get tone,,,and the tone may not be ideal,,,this is a good sign of Deeper nonferous find.

Could a person dig a deep nail??
Possibly,,but so far I haven't dug many at all,,extremely few.

Iron it seems will rip the hodograph with signature.

This one site,,,has nails at various depths,,surface to likely at least a foot deep.
How do I know this??
Guess

This site is where I learned to detect,,,so some of these deep nails did get dug.
And even today,,running Xp Deus,,,it is not out of the question for me to dig a deep nail here every once in a while,,,and this so knowing the Deus well,,I think.

This in why I go here with a new detector to me,,,,this site will sniff out a detector's weakness(Es) IMO as far as performance in and around iron.

I pushed Rutus yesterday,,for my time on unit.
I liked what I saw.

More Rutus data.

Went back to site I was at yesterday.

My goal to find a suspect target and play with mask setting.

Didn't locate one single target in roughly 2 hours time.
Used 11" dd coil.

Let's talk emi or noise from this detector.

So far in running in while detecting,,,I have heard no negative affects in the audio or tone transition that I would attribute to EMI.
But while in the site today,,I held coil up in the air.
Just listening it sounded like a mini Deus,,,,Deus users here will know what I'm referring to.
But lower coil to like 12" or closer to ground,,dead quiet.
I tried a lot of different freqs both higher and lower,,,all seemed to behave the same way here.

On my way home I purposely stopped in this one place,,,this place only one of 2 places I have ever had a Etrac or CTX get noisy emi wise.
I tried the Rutus here,,,same behavior as noted above.

Toward the end of my excursion today in this site I tried to make a find,,,I buried a clad dime,,Garrett propointer length deep,,9.125".
Now we have had hot weather the last couple days,,so ground conditions here drier than when I tested here a few days ago.

How did the dime sound with Rutus??
Nothing I would have dug.
I could see no improvement at all even by changing freqs.
One note here,,,and I saw this the last time,,,a lower mask setting like 0-2 helps with some audio trying to sneak through,,,mask level 6,,elzippo signal.

I tried every conceivable settings change.
Again I though 17khz through max give about as good as I could get.
Reactivity level 1 here.

So,,whipped out Deus with 11" coil,,,I could get a diggable signal using.
Reactvity levels 1 and 2 mandatory,,8khz, 12khz, even 18khz provided diggable signals.
4khz Inrate here as a fail,,,I honestly believe with Xp having it tied to Tx power level 3,, it just washes out signals here in my soil.

External speakers used on both detectors.
Gain settings of 50 and 60 used on Rutus,,an audio report level 7 used on Deus.
Listened to level 5 on Deus,,signal was there and IMO wearing headsets a person would hear at this level.

Just one test on one freshly buried clad dime.
I tried to keep plug intact too.
Not exactly scientific,,but this test leads me to at least say Deus is deeper at least on tilled/disturbed soil.
Would like to do more test to be certain.

This signal Deus provided was not strong by no means,,but audible with clear dig me sound to it.

More Rutus test.

How about hunting recently dropped gold rings,,say where many folks have gathered??

Using Rutus I checked using small thin 10k ring,,and some foil,,even foil balled up a bit.

I think I found my best setup here.

Using 5khz,,,Rutus don't like foil,,even foil balled up,,foil from cigarette packs it hits but is very dodgy.
The small 10k ring,,Rutus more energetic on,,,big difference.

Now when both are detected,,ball of foil I tried vs the ring,,,,they read same TID-42/43. Btw I had sensitivity to level 80 here,,lower sens likely provides better results say in the neighborhood of 60.
But the ring is very standoutish tone sounding wise.

If I go to higher freq like 17 or 18khz,,,then this difference is slim to none.

Actually the foil signal improves moreso than the ring does. (But ring's air test distance does increase)

Also,,folks using Rutus seeking deeper nickels,,,freq 12-18.4 kHz your best bets here.

Running at 8khz,,,deep undisturbed nickel signal is dodgy sounding.

Just thought I would share.
With the varied freq capabilities,,some nice strategies can be employed with this detector,,especially with the ability to normalize all tid readings to 6khz.

And with this setup,,you can still hunt coins,,especially higher conductive.
And obviously a person is still on the hook with digging pull tabs looking for gold rings.

Balanced Rutus over fridge magnet.

Reading in screen when complete,,,-88.6.

So ferrite likely would yield a -90 reading.

Btw in the areas I used Rutus this far,,after ground balance I've seen somewhere
between -85.4 thru -82.0 in the window.
Medium minerlized ground btw.

More Rutus info.

Tone break setting coming out of iron region.

Rutus iron range is 0-30,, and I think beginners of Rutus should stay with this 30 number or slightly higher here for setting tone break.

But as a Rutus user grows with their unit,,when hunting sites loaded with nails and iron,,,I find a tone break setting of 23/24 may be helpful in sniffing out the heavier masked targets.

Could a person go lower here with the tone break setting??
Yes,,IMO a person could,,but it would be helpful if the site contained mostly
smaller nails.

As I keep hunting,,and testing I may be able to comment on this in the future.

Running this lower tone break setting does give a tad more rink in the tone.

Rutus will find real small things even using 11" dd coil.
Based on my hunts and testing,,,Rutus is better at alerting user to smaller nonferrous than Deus version 3.2, especially irregular shaped nonferrous.
I am not quite ready to rate as far as Deus V4 goes.

Remember Rutus can be run at a slightly higher frequency than Deus,,and this may be a factor here.

To clarify the whys I think the Rutus trumps Deus in sites like this.

Rutus IDs deeper more accurately on average.
Rutus allows for normalization to 6khz (key setting btw) and still use any frequency on Rutus,,even the higher freqs,,,higher freqs tend to help with separation,,especially in a site with mixed modern trash and nails.
The 6khz normalization here keeps the spread of higher conductors and junk wider.
And keeps the spread of nickels and tabs and junk aluminum wider on average.
Rutus recovery speed is fantastic,,very Deus like.

Tones on Rutus can be set by individual TID numbers,,or blocks,,as a user sees fit.
Deus here you are having to use like 4 tones or 5 tones with blocks only selected.

Rutus GB is very forgiving too on medium and milder minerlized ground.

If I Could talk to the Rutus folks and give a recommendation,,,it would be allow a zero setting for any and all TID number spots.
The way it is,,a user can only select lower sounding tone for the undesirable TID producing targets.

The site today,,I had never been in this portion,,,I know some who have and know what detectors and coils they run.

So I got a very good idea on how the Rutus was humming in this site.

A couple tidbits as far as recognizing targets using tone,,numbers in screen and hodograph.

If tone is clear as one walks around target,,hodograph behavior as far as what it is telling a person more believable.
It tone isn't consistent as one pivots around target yet hodograph shows a no dig decision,,,watch out,don't put as much stock in here.

Aluminum twist caps,,,the hodograph will point these out with signature getting worse as you pivot around target--- you will get a zincoln id or real close.

Bottle caps,,,on real shallow raise coil about 3" or so,,watch hodograph paint the backwards C or a partial backwards Letter C.
Tone will be wishy washy as you switch directions when sweeping over caps.
Generally you will see higher TID readings like 102-105 in the window.
If on a real shallow cap,,you sweep,,hodograph likely will paint a correct to more correct signature like a silver or clad dime will provide.

I went to another site,,old house site,,even in reactive level 4 running 18.4khz, Rutus alerted on a Garrett pinpointer deep target made of copper and beleive it or it gave correct ID( airtest was done btw after recovery).

On deeper targets (a person will start to recognize by the tone here,,,watch out for the hodograph data,,put less and less stock into it.
The 9" deep target,,,hodograph signature reflected moreso iron,,but the tone was just too repetitive,,even when pivoting.
This ground in this site is pretty high in minerals too,,,a high 4 bars on a F75 detector.

Rutus needs some dealers in the USA.
I can understand why the folks across the pond like this detector.
It is also smoking hot (for coil size) on smaller items,,both airtest and undisturbed in the ground.
Based on my use,,I can see it doing extremely well on hammered coins.

Detector will run to the high side on deeper targets ( reactive setting can affect),,,but not as bad as Deus here.

Overall weight and feel of unit is IMO nice,,not heavy feeling.

Both coils.

Btw. Concentric measures 8.125" outside to outside diameter.
Supposed 11" dd measures 11".

I even with little time I have run this unit,,this unit designed to be a Deus killer for the $$$. Question is, is it??

Using concentric coil user likely not to dig steel bottle caps, hodograph paints a good pic of junk target,,a backwards C in the meter. Haven't tried DD coil yet to see what happens here.

Depth is dependent on mask setting,,meaning for fringe depth the lower the better.

Interesting how they gave a user options here to have their targets ID in the meter.
Three choices real-- ID is directly reflective of frequency run and conductivity of target.

Then 2 other options,,you can select either 6khz or 12khz for target ID normalization.

So with saying all this here is some data using each of the above selections for target ID.

I should say the Rutus uses a different scale when comparing to most other detectors-- 0-120.

Some data

Real ID option selected and frequency selected on detector at max 18.4khz
Nickel....79
Clad dime..110
Zincoln penny..103
Copper penny..110
Clad quarter..114

Normalized setting of 6khz selected,,detector still set to 18.4khz
Nickel..52
Clad dime..94
Zincoln penny..80
Copper penny..94
Clad quarter..105

Normalized setting of 12kh selected,,detector still set to 18.4khz
Nickel..66
Clad dime..105
Zincoln penny..95
Copper penny..105
Clad quarter..112

Frequency changed on detector to 7khz,,real ID option selected

Nickel..55
Clad dime..99
Zincoln penny..86
Copper penny..99
Clad quarter..107

Frequency still at 7khz,,6khz normalization selected
Nickle..54
Clad dime..98
zincoln penny..85
Copper penny..98
Clad quarter..107

Frequency still at 7khz,,12 khz normalization selected
Nickel..68
Clad dime..108
zincoln penny..99
Copper penny..107
Clad quarter..112

Preliminary test using 3D test with coin and nails,,detector seems above average with what I see,,,Deus like results,,,not giving either detector yet no advantage,,with time maybe.

Audio,,,Rutus audio not as smooth as Xp Deus,,not as blendy sounding,,leans more toward what I call beeps. This is not meant to say Rutus audio is terrible or anything.

I am still trying to nail down how I want my tones set up using the user programs,,,not there yet.
Does take time though,,user must select each number TID wise and singularly adjust,,,no blocking of groups of tones to adjust.

I do reserve the right here to correct anything I say about this detector in the future.

From what I can tell right now,,Rutus will retain settings when turned off.
Turn back on,,user will need to ground balance though.

Also what ever you have selected,,this is where the cursor will be when you go back in and open menu-- not sure if this happens if you turn detector off though.

Now,,here is where other manufacturers like White's should be paying attention,,Xp as well.

I have read countless Internet forum threads and post associated with just when does the White's V3i and even the Vx3 model need to be ground balanced.

Rutus depending on what you change setting wise will give you ground balance prompt.

This is exactly what White's should have done on the 2 models I mention here.

Xp Deus,,you change freqs,,ground balance doesn't carry over,,should be a prompt..
Now detector companies,,if they do this for future models,,,they could offer a way to override the prompt,,so it doesn't appear in screen. This might be more handy for someone say who is more experience with the detector in question.

Emi,,this detector ranks right up there as being one of the quietest I have run for Vlf,,,even runs as quiet IMO as CTX and etrac,,and DST Fisher units.
Now this from judging in 2 different places with loads of light wires,,and a few transformers.

I should also say,,this concentric coil I received with Rutus is the very first one I have ever owned,,I did run a gents White's XLT with concentric some 6 years ago for around 15 minutes.

Navigating around using Rutus is different,,but not hard,,just gotta get used to it.
Unit seems to ground balance nicely here in my soil.

More to come.

More data

Gain setting,,,run it full bore 60,,all targets pretty much sound the same (loudness) (ideally).
Level 30 setting,,provides some nice proportional depth tone wise on targets.
User likely with approx 30 gain setting won't be digging shallow targets based on strength of tones.

My 10" deep nickle,,,I experimented with running the freq all the way down and started raising incrementally.
My take here,,,run at 12khz or higher for the deeper nickels.
4.4khz and progressing upwards I could definitely tell target was a lower conductor,,,at 12khz nickel comes alive.
Also running in reactive settings 1-3,, user would be hard pressed to miss this nickel with 11" dd coil ttached to Rutus,,very forgiving swing speed,,coil position to get an op to put the brakes on.

I like how this detector give you a reading when GBing is completed,,user if they will watch they will know if they balanced coil over metal.
Detector can be balanced over metal sometimes at least.

Pinpoint trigger has nice location and is smooth.

The batteries for this detector not located where most detectors are located,,they are located underneath and more towards the front position wise.
I am positive this really helps with overall detector balance.

One note here.
My Rutus rod is in the shortest configuration possible,,it fits me perfect this way,,I am 5'11" tall,,,,I could see where a person say 5'6" tall or shorter may find this detector too long for them.
Just heads up.
I have also seen where one gent is 6'1 or 2" and says Rutus isn't long enough for him. He must have some real short arms.

Btw,,my wing span with arms and torso are a carbon copy of my height,,I am as they say very proportionally built body wise.

I stated above concentric coil tells on bottle caps with hodograph,,just remember a coin colocated with ferrous I.e. Nail could fool you here.

11" dd coil here doesn't do as well as concentric,,,person will notice hodograph display trying to switch directions on bottle caps,,,but the same warning here as noted above applies to the dd coil as well as concentric for good targets colocated with iron as far as relivslvity factor of data displayed.

Preliminary results show,,running sensitivity to max 90,,, may not be the best thing to do,,I have witnessed some audio wash out,,level 85 much better signal quality wise on targets. This could have some thing to do with my soil too.

Sweeping bottle caps with dd coil.
What I notice is the more towards the edges of coil when swept,,hodograph signature starts turning more left,,tone starts getting uglier too.
When cap is centered,,signature more appealing but will reverse on sweeps most of the time,,especially real shallow caps.
I hear some tone nuance going on,,but need to spend more time to nail it down.

This detector I think was the one George Kinsey had original from new.
He was trying to get it back,,but I got instead.

He tests a lot of detectors,,,if he wanted another go with the Rutus,,,might tell us all some thing.

Speaking of which,,,Rutus seems in my ground to be more forgiving GB wise than even the mighty Deus.

I can get my 10" nickle using GB preset on Rutus,,,doing actual GB very little improvement on signal. I like that a lot.
Deus signal will improve moreso comparing a 90 GB to actual ground balance of approx 78 when doing pumping GB.
I still rate Deus as forgiving though in GB dept.

This aka Signum,,,no dice,,you have to be spot on,,or extremely little error to detect this nickel. It is wickedly GB sensitive for deeper targets,,,and with a improper GB even if you can hit the target,,,ID can be in error.

I am back on the Rutus trail this morning.

I thought I would share some additional thoughts and info here,,along with a pic.

The Rutus just might be one of the best modern trash hunting site detectors on the market today---especially for a single frequency detector.

I don't know if the manufacturer has a smaller coil currently or plan on doing one,,,IMO they should,,a dd coil 7" or 8" round would be fine.

Now,,I am still not ready to commit to how the Rutus is IDing targets in the ground. But I also feel,,,you must have a good starting point here with this,,to be able to arrive at a better place in the end (target identification).

Other manufacturers should be watching this detector and close.
Some ingenuity went into it.

It exposes a Deus weakness IMO and other detectors too.
What is this exactly.

With Rutus being able to normalize at 6khz,,yet being able to run the detector far, far away frequency wise,,,to detect even lower conductors,,and even allow the detector to separate better in iron.

Probably IMO the closet thing to FBS ID capabilities here,,,yet a single frequency detector.

Below is a pic showing some targets I have tested.
Notice the spread,,,remember a person not necessarily tied to just one freq or even a few freqs for detection with Rutus.

Rutus was run using concentric coil,,at 11khz with 6khz selected for TID normalization.

I will talk about the following targets.

First up a war nickel.. ID 53
Clad nickel 52
Square tab..57
Ring part 58
Tab part of ring pull 46/47
Btw I checked an intact ring pull w/tab,,the parts shown are part of,,the intact ring pull tab read 64
Big ring. 76
Pepsi alum twist cap 81
Pepsi free twist cap 81
Smashed alum cap 77
Zincoln 85
IH penny 1902. 78
Copper penny. 97
Purex lid 98
Yahoo cap. 50-56 with very dodgy hodograph

Folks using Rutus should strongly consider setting up a nickel window for high tone,,say 50-54,, and then stop and judge and dig or not.

Now,,I do realize this is not all the targets(junk) a person could face in some sites,,but I do think this shows something nice here.

I will be doing some depth test soon,,and will be commenting on ID retention as the targets deepen.

I don't expect Rutus will be perfect here without any flaws,,,but I do need to see just how worthy based on soil conditions and depth it really is.

To add here,,I mentioned this before,,I really like how this detector just by the loudness with medium set gain on the shallow stuff. So in other words another way to discriminate.

I think this better spread here a result of combination of yes being able to normalize to 6khz and also the point system Rutus operates on 0-120 for items,,with nonferrous range from 31-120. Ingenuious.

Alright more data.

A first solo flight (hunt) with Rutus detector.

Concentric coil (8.125") used only.

External speaker used,,no headphones,,wind conditions light and variable.

Went to what I call my detector proving grounds.

Only took the Rutus along,,kinda wish I had taken Impact and Deus along.
So no head to head done.

Overall I was very impressed with this short hunt.

I would have bet against anyone $500 they could hunt here and even pull at least 4 nonferrous finds-- guess I would have lost!!!

Folks those own Rutus and like to relic hunt,,DO NOT offload your detector!!!
Now currently I can't rate Rutus for coins but hopefully in the future.

Sounds like I am in the tank here with Rutus don't it??
Nope

But this detector is special in my book,,,if you believe White's V3i, Deus,,CTX, Etrac, Racers, Nokta Relic, Fisher F75s are good to great detectors.

I ran Rutus at max frequency 18.4 khz, sensitivity 81,,,,mask setting 4,, reactivity 3,, 0 discrimation,,set the 0-30 ID region to lowest tone and let the Rutus work and it did.

A few things I noticed.
And btw I did dig some targets,,that were dodgy in one way or the other for verification.

Flat iron,,,seems most of the time,,,will not stay to the high side,,,rather wrap report in the 30s range,,tone nuance/structure will reveal,,hodograph will too.

I did see some targets that wrapped to the 110s region,,pinpoint would show big target.

These 4 nonferrous targets dug,,,all produce very intelligent audio depicting nonferrous,,and some thing else,,a weak and small pinpoint.

Notice all the nonferrous have something in common-- very thin.

I can't say what the actual orientation was on all the targets,,but the bigger (I broke btw) was on edge at 6" deep.

Something else,,,only one of these finds,,did I exhume ferrous with,,the bigger find,,a small nail.

A gold coin like the $1 version should be sweating if a Rutus shows up and a person knows how to operate to find.

I was surprised at the depth of some of these finds,,,this ground here not mild,,4bars on F75 detector,,but this concentric coil for its size seems to have some punch even in smaller thin finds.

The square elongated find was at a measured 7" deep.

Now,,with my settings on Rutus it may be fair to say I didn't have it set up to to be deepest here.

Where I hunted today is right were I started metal detecting back in Dec 2010,, when a gent let me swing his White's XLT for around 15 minutes.

I have virtually lived in this site since trying to learn to detect,, using I think some good detectors.

Across the road is another area not too big,,,where I've spent a lot of time,,it is covered in tall hay right now.
In a couple weeks I will be busting with Rutus and hard.

I sure didn't hunt this entire site I was at today,,,I got hot,,plus I saw what I needed to see,,,,this site is too controlled and I know how hard I've hit.

Do I need more data to climb out on a limb here,,maybe,,,but I am about 3/4s the way out right now,,,one more hunt with similar results in a similar site Inwill climb out all the way on the limb.

Went back to the same site as this morning.
Ran Rutus with concentric coil for around 45 minutes.
Then put 11dd coil on and ran about 1 hour 15 minutes.

Elzippo found,,notta nothing nonferrous.
I did get a good look though at the DD coil to see how it sounded tone wise while cruising over all the nails and iron.

I like how they have the meter designed,,it's function when you get on bigger iron. I ran with 0 disc once again,,,I think this helps too to ID the bigger iron when it tries to come through.

Had a thunderstorm off to my north,,,Rutus would sqeak every now and then. Could hear the thunder.

More later weather permitting.

Avid detectorist,,,engineer Mr Dankowski needs to test Rutus detector.
Why???

Since this detector can be dialed in freq wise from 4.4 to 18.4 khz,,it would be interesting to see....

How does one coil,,,does the coil's performance in depth and separation/unmasking ,,and depending on target's conductivity,,,does all this flow smoothly as freq is lowered and raised,,,basically where in fact is the unit disadvantaged???
Any key freq areas where what a single freq running at any one particular freq does the Rutus mirror or not??

I am not sure if there are a any electronics in the Rutus coils or not.
If Inhad to guess Inwould say no.
But I am making this guess based on when I change coils,,,my Rutus seems to be on the same freq when done.

Rutus needs to make a smaller DD coil and fast.
I said earlier a round,,,no,,now I think they need something like a 6x9" DD elliptical.

The Rutus runs quiet from emi standpoint.
I think most will agree being able to dial freq from 4.4khz to 18.4khZ in 200 hz increments,,this provides definitely a lot of room for emi mitigation should the need arise.

Alright,
Have been placed on weather hold,,so come back home for a while.

I had cows laying in the area I wanted to try today.
And rather than stir them up,and with threatening clouds approaching.

I did the following to help shed light on just maybe what RuTus settings Inshould be using.

I buried a clad dime at Garrett Pro pointer length deep(9-9.125" deep)
11" dd coil used on Rutus.
Tried to keep the plug as intact as possible.

Now this is freshly buried info,,so no one get in a tizzy here.

I varied freq and Groud blalanced with few exceptions.
I'll talk this about later.

I could get the dime tonally using a wide range of freqs.

I keyed on 9khz for some signal comparisons when adjusting mask setting.

I said earlier in this thread that a lowest setting here would yield more depth,,,Based on testing this freshly buried clad dime I was WRONG.

I found in my soil,,a setting of 3 on mask setting did the best (tone and tone wise.
If I went to lowest setting signal was chopped,,pretty bad too.

Also I played with reactive setting.
IMO this setting here,,,emulates a lot of the goings on with Xp Deus.
What do I mean by this?

Using Rutus and dialing reactive setting to lowest setting (1) this clad dime was detectable but tone/signal compromised vs a setting of 2.

Deus in my soil a zero (lowest) setting will make it act very similar to Rutus.

Now in milder soil,,I would almost bet the farm this lowest reactive setting is useful for folks.

Reactive level 3 on Rutus,,dime was still heard but much shorter tone and a little lower sounding IMO.

External speaker was used in test btw.

I even with freq dialed to 9khz,,sensivity 85-90,, reactive level 2,, I dialed Rutus to 60 with discrimination level,,dime still coming in.

But I felt running O disc and having tones set so that running 0 disc is possible so a person can hear the ferrous,,,,the 0 disc setting provided better signal.
I even dhecked disc level 30,, since is is where ideally the iron range stops on Rutus,,signal comparison wise here the same basically as having a disc setting of 60.

Here is some thing interesting,,and this too follows suit with Xp Deus.

I could actually get a signal using Rutus running 18.4khz.
I could get a signal (very diggable) both when I performed ground balance and even when I used ground balance preset (I don't know what level GB preset is btw)
Now signals compared with doing GB vs using preset GB,,when I actually Ground balance the signal was better.

If I started dialing Rutus down freq wise,,signals obtained on clad dime would get worse and worse using ground balance preset level.

I also played with hot rock setting,,,I really right now can rate its affects,,but if a person will notice,,factory deep mode for example has the hot rock setting dialed into positive territory.

Just one target here folks,,,take it for what it worth.
I just need a baseline of sorts to start from,,could I with some tinkering of settings see something different on a deep undisturbed say coin?? You bet

Now the only other Detector I had with me today with stock sized coil was Deus.
So I swept the dime with it.

I won't go into great details here,,,but IMO Rutus gave the best signal.
And I did vary settings on Deus too.

I will bury another clad dime and do the same checks again with Rutus,,and also play with hot rock setting some more to see if I can determine anything even close as far as its effects on depth of detection of nonferrous targets.
If I see anything different when I do redo,,I will post.

What about Rutus TID and hodograph data with clad dime at this depth swept??

Well,,seems you can forget any real visible hodograph info,,a real real short line presentation I guess.
As far as actual TID numbers,,,I saw numbers in the screen on different seeps like 105-112,, and I didn't get numbers on every sweep either,,,,blank screen would happen.

I did see where Rutus tended to show TID number with reactivity at 1 or 2 moreso than level 3.
I may have checked level 4 reactive,,can't remember.

Btw in case anyone is wondering,,I usually don't take notes.

The only time I take notes is when I am comparing a whole lot of different targets like I did earlier in this thread.

I also need to plant say another 10 and maybe an 11" nickel to see what happens. Especially how low a freq I can detect nickel,,and just how the nickel is reported ID wise.
Will also try to do buried coin tests where depth progressively deepens to get an idea of how settings and depth,,,when can a person start assuming Rutus ID becomes untrustworthy.

I think it is safe to say already here,,Rutus is no slouch at handling at least medium mineralized
soil.

Forgot to say,,Ghound mentioned this earlier,,I witnessed too,,Rutus on this buried dime,,better signal achieved with coil around an inch above ground,,vs scrubbing.

And I should let folks know,,my real coin garden is currently buried in hay,,I do before it gets too tall, take some flourescent paint and paint them so I can find them later,,,saves me time.
Maybe in about 2-3 weeks the hay will be cut and I can have access to.

One last thing,,this is preliminary data,,so I will add this here.
Even using the 11dd coil on Rutus,,in this one site,,,it has iron at different depths.
Shallow, midepths and deeper.
So far I haven't dug any deep nails that were ringing in good and meter/hodograph was saying decent to good target.
I can't say this about all the detectrors I have owned and ran here.

This means some thing,,at least to me.
More to come.

More Rutus data.
11" dd coil used exclusively.
Been dodging rain showers all day.
Went back to the site.
Hunted a while with Rutus,,,got the bright idea,,to use Deus 11" coil to find a target.

What I am trying to do is find out what more challenged targets look like and sound like with Rutus.

I found one target with Deus,,based on total target signature using Deus,,I would have rated probability based on my experience with Deus > 95% chance of being a nonferrous target.

So put away Deus and fired up Rutus,,swept target it was their alright,,,TID was a little rolly Polly,,checked target in 2 reactive setting,,3 reactive setting seemed to smooth out TID reading a bit.
Hodograph has curly cue presentation going ups the screen with some dot spacing. TID reading was coming in between 52-58 on most sweeps.

So cut the plug and only came up with about 3.5" of dirt depth wise.
With plug upside down,,swept with Rutus,,,bingo a dead lock crystal clear with 46 steady in the meter.
So it appears some degree of masking going on.
A piece of brass medium sized.

Clouds starting building again,,so I decided to bury a 10" deep clad dime this time. Ground conditions here not dry by no means.

So sweeping this 10" dime using Rutus.
I could get the dime to tone in,.very coil position sensitive.
Mask setting/ of 5 and 6 signal went bye bye on all sweeps.
I think levels 2 or 3 mask setting sounded the best,,better than 0 for sure.

This is a freshly buried (disturbed) target,,,so folks here be mindful of this,,not exactly scientific in a pure sense for testing or maybe even comparing detectors.

I noticed the same thing on this 10" deep dime here vs the 9" deep buried dime earlier today.
Lower freqs,,seems no real gains signal wise performance wise.

I thought actually on this 10" deep dime as long as I kept freq on Rutus dialed up at17khz or higher,,,this is where I got my best signals.

I played with hot rock setting again,,,If I run hot rock setting positive,,,signal went bye bye,,,going negative on hot rock setting didin't seem to help either but it didn't seem to hurt as much as going positive.

Reactivity level 1 when sweeping this 10" deep dime,,signal is louder vs a level 2 setting but the audio seems like it is cramped in reporting.
Reactvity 2 setting improve with smoother tone,,but lower volume.
Gain was maxed btw.

Something else I saw with this 10" dime,,that seemed to mirror what I saw with 9" deep dime,,,,sensitivity went set to max corrupts signal,,,dial down at around 86 much better on both of these dimes at depth.

I tried 0 disc and also disc level 30.
With zero disc it seemed like the tone would have the iron tone dompnent on some sweeps,,whereas at 30 disc setting,,all high tones.

Meter readings when they showed up were in the 98-107 range.

I think wearing headphones a person could hear this 10" deep dime in reactive 3 setting,,but with external speaker,,better be on your game.

I tried to detect dime with preset GB settings,,result was a very chopped signal.

So,,next I got the mighty Deus with 11" coil out and tried the dime.
I could hear the dime good.
Reactivity settings of 1,2 and 2.5 very diggable signal,,a level 3 setting,,I could hear but I rate only because I knew the dime was down there.
I tried both 8khz and 18khz,,with 8lhz providing a slightly louder signal.
Audio report at level 5 btw,,and this is Deus V4.
I checked using disc level of -2.5 with full tones ,,a lovely signal.
I also checked with disc at 6 and used 3 tones selected,,,not as good a signal IMO,,but there.

On this 10" dime buried,,,Deus gets the nod for best signal,,and more repetitive signals between sweeps percentage wise. From how both detectors signaled on 10" deep dime,,Rutus sounded like it was at the end of very near the end of its detection range here,,Deus sounded like it had a little more ways to go compared to how Rutus sounded. Hope this makes sense.

I don't think versions 3.2 Deus here would have faired as well,,based on my prior testing of Deus v3.2.

Based on some careful test,,, Rutus users whunting hard hunted sites,,reactive levels settings 3 and 4,, IMO will provide some 3D ummasking/separation combined on nonferrous objects-- this 3D performance not seen with a lot of other detector models---hint.

Levels 5-8 IMO tend to be more for advancing the separation capabilities in extremely tight moreso 2 dimensional situations. Depth is limited moreso here using the 5-8 settings.

Key thing here,,for max 3D performance run at max frequency, big difference in say comparing 15khz vs 18.4 kHz.

It has been said by one detectorist/engineer that Xp Deus violates at least one rule of physics if not more,,,well I truly think if this same person tested Rutus detector he likely would say it too violates physics rule to some degree.

It is very apparent now,,whomever engineered and designed Rutus detector,,a bullseye was drawn on the Xp Deus' back.

I still can't say for sure if they hit the bullseye or not.
I can say right now,,appears they at Least got awfully close.
I certainly don't know much about Rutus manufacturer and their prior manufacturer detectors.

The biggie still outstanding for me is mineral handling capabilities Rutus possesses.
Need more time/outings to comment.

And so folks understand,,this talk above is with 11" dd coil attached.

I am not really fond of the concentric coil,,not yet anyway.

All Metal channel and disc can be run simultaneously.

I have run only a little bit so far,,,most of my time has been in sites loaded with iron, not cleaner ground.

Probably a good idea to post link to operators manual
Here is basic version manual
http://rutus.com.pl/en/file-list/download/21

Here is link explaining what version update did. 1.1
http://rutus.com.pl/en/file-list/download/29

This detector not user updatable,,must be done by manufacturer.
Unlike Xp Deus and Nokta Impact.
When folks see the word updated,,they may get the wrong idea.
And we don't want that to happen.

More Rutus tests and comparisons.

I think now after testing on coins buried longer,,not freshly buried,,,freshly buried is tied to the why behind why higher freqs do better.

Over a deep nickel.,,Rutus pounds it in 9khz.
Deus in 8khz falls short here,,does signal but 12khz has to be employed to get equivalent signal to Rutus using 9khz.
What about Impact???
Stock coil,,,good signal using DI2,,even DI3 mode,,,interesting here. DI4 mode doesn't do as well,,,and even by varying sens I can't get DI4 to give anywhere near equal signal as the other modes. I did seem like Imwas getting some emi using dI4 mode though and couldn't mitigate.

Rating these detectors over this one target,,been buried for 2 years.
Rutus ranks tops
Then Deus
Then Impact.
Btw,,,Rutus had 11" dd coil,,Deus 11" dd coil,Impactt 7x11" DD coil.
Deus and Impact with latest versions,,Rutus has original version,,not sure if newer version affects depth capabilities,,from what I've read it don't look like it.
Rutus does give a more wide range here freq wise to detect this target from mediocre to real well.

For a Deus user Using 12 and 18khz the ones to use,,8 khz a user might walk right buy.

Impact,,using 20khz the best,,,then 14khz,,,5khz a no no freq to use here to detect as is 4khz for Deus.

Remember my ground here where this target is ranks 4 bars f75 detector,,or medium minerlized.

Also. Rutus provided a very good signal even running disc to level 30.
Deus was compared with disc at 6,,I did this because this is where both detectors seems to get rid of most nails disc wise.
Did check using 0 disc on all detectors too with associated tones set to actually hunt,,no massaging anything. And the ranking here unchanged.

Impact was checked disc levels 0 and 3,,, a 0 setting did do a tad better.
Imask setting on Impact at 0.
Silencer on Deus -1
Mask setting on Rutus 3.

Also this is important here I think,,this target using Rutus,,,gain at 50 btw,,you up the sens past 83 (and this advancement above 83 seems more linear as far as signal chop) signal sounds choppy on the edges,,,lower sens to 70,, a beautiful smooth signal edge to edge.
Even lowered to 55,, with headphones this signal very diggable.
On a clam day,,even using external speaker in a quiet place with no wind.

Rutus is showing signs of good performance in minerals here IMO,,,still not ready to rank or say how good.

More Rutus data.
This data here may give current and future Rutus users something to think about.

Reactive setting on Rutus does drive depth capabilities.
But here is some test data that might be helpful for a user to consider.

Test object,,,buried nickel 10" deep,,been buried approx 2 years.

Using Rutus in any and all freqs when testing,,,no apparent emi in headphones from an audio standpoint.

Rutus when set to say 3 reactive setting,,,starting at the low end freqs wise,,and only using GB preset value,,,nickel detection don't start happening until 6khz,,7 khz is better,,and As I progress upwards,,I find 16khz to give the best signal.
Now I did check nickel even with an actual GB at 6khz,,,not a signal I liked choppy.

So at 16khz,,where I feel on this one target setting,,,gives the best signal.
This best signal is with lower gain at 50,, and with lower sensitivity.
A level 50 sensivity acquires nickel with diggable signal.

Now here is what is interesting.
If I set my gain to 50,, keep sens at say 65 or so,,,,I can detect this deep nickel using reactive settings 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and yes even 6. I rate the signal at reactive 6 as a signal I recognize cause I know the nickel is down there. The rest wearing headphones are very diggable signals.
Reactive setting 1 is a bit constrictive sounding though.

What I am getting at here,,,if you come off of this 16khz freq setting,,,,you won't detect this nickel in as many reactive settings levels.

If you go to say 8khz,,,you can scrub reactive levels 5, and 4 for sure.
If you go to max freq 18.4khz you can scrub 5 and probably 4 for sure.

Now I did go back and redo checks while attaining an actual GB.
And the same thing(s) were revealed.

So a per own hunting deep nickels,,,could in fact if using 16khz could open up their detection window scenario by using a higher reactive setting.
Now if the nickel were deeper say 11",,would this data change as far as detection?? Likely

And if the nickel were shallower would the data change as far as a reactive window setting for detection?? Likely and a reactive setting of 6 here likely comes more into play as giving a useable signal.

Now how would say a 9" deep dime here play???
This is what Inneed to do and hopefully I can in a couple weeks.

Seems if the Rutus is dialed let's say perfect freq wise for a certain object,,,more latitude settings wise are possible and still attain good signals.

This hot rock setting.
I am still a bit mystified about it.
Why???

The manual doesn't explain this,,,so I will pose a few questions scenarios.

If I adjust hot rock setting to say +5 setting,,,and not do an actual GB but use preset GB is the hot rock setting applied to detector's programming???
Meaning is the ground balance being offset from the preset GB value???

And of course when I do an actual GB to the actual ground,,,it would only make sense any hot rock setting be it positive or negative would be applied to detector.

So does the hot rock setting actually for whatever it is worth,,,,can this be manually adjusting the GB if I use factory preset procedure.

I have been playing around with this deeper nickel.
Wish I knew the real true answers here.

Hunted with Rutus all day using 11" DD coil.
Folks this detector for hunting around iron is for real.

For the 11" stock sized DD coil,,,don't underestimate this detector in iron.

Folks may find this next statement shocking,,but I believe in the truth and nothing but the truth.

With stock sized coils attached to every detector I have Run,,,Rutus is different and IMO different as in " good different "!!

We seem to always hear folks say audio is king,,,let it drive your decision to dig or not.
Guess what,,Rutus here the way hodograph works,,,extraordinary what it does for a user.

This hodograph is not a one dimensional graph,,,more than this.

I haven't been digging much iron or nails with Rutus,,,but have made some recoveries involving challenged nonferrous targets.
Without the meter,,,a user using Rutus will likely dig more iron basing their decision on tone alone or will walk off and away from nonferrous targets.

Some real ingenuity here with Rutus' meter.

If a person let's the iron tone heard mixed in with supposed nonferrous tone,,if they think this iron rolling up to the tone, and then it comes back in after,,,,you walk here,,you may lose.
And believe it or not,,this iron tone you hear here,,,can and CANNOT be caused by ferrous materials,,,in my opinion,,the ground minerals can cause it too in conjunction with shape conductivity of target.

This detector's audio not as digital sounding as another detector that is good in iron,,,but make no mistake this baby if all tools are used and studied,,tell tale signs of a nonferrous target is there.

I guarantee during the first 2 days of using Rutus,,I left nonferrous targets in the ground unintentionally.

The hodograph seems to be really helping give me a dig or no dig decision,,,especially on signals a user would swear is a wrap signal by just listening.

Every signal the coil comes over and higher tone is achieved,,a user needs go through their routine here,,and YES hodograph info I consider very vital.

What are the tale tale signs to look for,,on the hodograph screen.

First does the hodograph data lay down on the screen,,,stretch full from left to right of the screen-- if it does likely ferrous.
Turning 90degees if it looks the same even more likely ferrous.
A backwards letter C style shaped formed in right portion,,likely ferrous.
Most times I see number movement say a spread of less than 30 points,,if you see 90 plus point spread,,likely iron.

A user needs to listen to the melody playing,,,I ran today disc of 5,, max freq 18.4khz,,mask setting 2, gain 50,,sensivity 81.
Used external speaker,,,tried to use full headphones but too HOT.

Is a user sees the little curly cue stream up the middle portion of screen on sweeps,,this I find is very telling, even if you don't like the sound of audio very much.

The trace or little stick sticking more upwards can have slight lean,,,you see this even if the trace tries to lay down when sweeping from 90 degrees,,lookout.

Now iron tone in the background,,,it seems to me it wil, have a very slight break,,if iron tone is stuttering,,,these targets I find are ferrous.
But steady iron tone,,even if it sounds abrasive,,watch the hodograph,,and listen for a consistent melody between iron tone and nonferrous tones with controlled sweep.

This the way the hodograph works,,,reminds me in a way of the cursor on Etrac.

I ran reactive at levels 3 and 4 today,,,did drop to level 2 to try after some dirt was dug,,to signal on what turned out to be a approx 9" deep find.

I need more time on this detector,,,but the tendencies I see right now,,,I am flabbergasted to see how all the tone,,meter numbers and hodograph can paint a picture using this detector.

Something else too,,this detector likes small nonferrous even with 11" coil,,likes round and irregular shapes too.

If anyone gets a chance to be around some one using one of these in a iron ridden site and they know how to operate keenly,,,watch how it performs.
And watch just how little iron is dug.

Simply amazing..

User of Rutus better not be dismissive of targets based on tone alone- big mistake.

Also more times than not,,,a weak pinpoint and small is a good sign of nonferrous,,,but some times the detecting scenario won't allow.

And a user who gets a big pinpoint,,,better not just walk off immediately.
Unless of course you can raise coil signifiant height and still get signal with pinpoint.

Rutus will do some 3D unmasking,,and if you decide to pass on suspect target solely on pinpoint being big(er),,could be a mistake.

Rutus got some real respect from me today.

Even my hunting buddy was resting and I got a signal,,remember I was using external speaker,,,I told him it was a nonferrous target down there.
He said,,what that tone don't sound right with the iron tones trying to dominate.

Out pops the nonferrous.
Oh yea the little curly cue thingy sticking up in the screen, not from all sweep directions either.

I did listen to a few of my find's today after finding using disc level 5,, turned disc up to level 30,,, did this get rid of iron tone altogether trying to roll in on nonferrous tone?? No,,in some cases it may have reduced,,a few it may have elimate altogether or reduced to a smidge.

I have a new addition to my detector family now,,,one that will not be going anywhere anytime soon.

For anyone who's interested.

I have rechargeable batteries in Rutus.

Ran today using highest freq for around 7.5 hours.
Half battery still showing in meter when done detecting.
Using rechargeables,,,,seems the battery meter drops sorta fast at first some,,,then stabilizes.
Likely normal ops since the rechargeables are only 1.2 volts each.

I have noticed though,,you run lower freqs,,,will eat battery power up faster.

Backlight was off today throughout.

Bright sunshine today,,there were times screen was a little hard to see, not many.

Rutus is quiet,,,real quiet.
I like that.
Actually,,,check this out.

Yesterday my friend had his Nokta relic detector turned on laying on the ground.
Remember 19khz Dectector.

I ran my Rutus when dialed to 18.4khz when turned on right up near My buds coil,,,,I couldn't even get any feedback in my audio until I got Rutus coil about a foot away from his coil.

Whatever shielding Rutus has employed,,,it works and works well.

Just so folks understand, Rutus reactive setting can be shifted on the fly.
If a user has the engine menu last selected along with reactive setting,,,all a user has to do hit hit menu button,,and reactive setting will be highlighted,,and user can adjust,,,,no additional GB required either.

I find this useful to use,,,based on how free or how tight a site gets in areas ferrous density wise.

A Deus user,,,if you have used one as much as I have,,you'll basically in your head think Deus plus 1 on the reactive setting to get similar performance in the separation and unmasking departments.

Now Rtus does go up to 8 on the reactive setting vs Deus with five levels.
I am still playing with higher reactive settings on Rutus,,but not enough use/info to comment.

Something interesting with Rutus hodograph info.

I have tried to rig some unmasking tests using nonferrous items and nails.
I can use a big piece of iron and place on top of clean concrete and get more or less the same backwards C in hodograph.

But the signatures I saw yesterday on nonferrous targets using Rutus,,,I cannot seem to duplicate them.
I can here the tonal effects on test rigged for unmasking,,,but hodograph data don't help here at all.

So it seems the ground and or masking materials are making hodograph do something different here,,,this is not bad,,,But a Rutus user trying to see how the hodograph reads by trying to booby trap say a few coins with nails,,might get mislead somewhat.

And this is why I likely left nonferrous targets in the ground unintentionally,,cause I did this above.

Anyway,,Inhave run aka sorex, aka signum (I still have btw) and Rutus.

Just yesterday,,I was pushing weeds over,,tall grass,,,detector ran quiet for this scenario.
Now,,if you get a tad rough with coil,,bump it,,it might give a tingle or 2.

Now,,aka sorex and signum,,,you do what I did with Rutus yesterday,,,,you get a load of falses.

My Rutus with both 11 dd coil and 9x8" concentric coil,,, for exposing coil to what I call challenging situations,,,tall grass, weeds,,small sticks,,,,does very well.

IMO even better than my Minelab CTX does if that means anything. I rate CTX good here.
And even better than the White's V3i I had wearing stock 10dd coil. I rate V3i bad here.

Blisstool V6 suffers too in this department.
I rate v6 Blisstool bad here.
Nokta Impact does well,,Deus too IMO
Nokta relic does well too.

I hate running a unit that falses with very small impacts of coil,,just not my cup of tea. I can use a unit that does,,,but having to use a unit gingerly takes more time and patience,,and makes for quite a few resweeps.

All this my first hand experience.

Couple things. I finally accessed the video.

If folks will go back up and read here,,,Ghound commented on Rutus gives better signals with coil off the ground,,,not scrubbing.
I have seen this too.

Yesterday I was hunting an area,,I am very familiar with.
At one point my Rutus started getting noisy??
Why??
Because the ground changed phase.
I have hunted this place so much with Deus,,,and watched how the ground changes when I move to parricularly this one area in field. And not a small change either rather a large change. 10 points on Deus.

A reground balance with Rutus,,,back to purring.

I also had to change GB setting on Deus too,,other wise even nails start sounding too good.

I really like Rutus GB system.

And remember when you ground balance Rutus you bobbing coil,,not dropping all the way to the ground.

Based on my use thus far,,,Rutus not having a tracking GB or a manual way of setting,,,,this is the least of my concerns with this detector.

Watch the video again above.
The target around the 5minute mark,,,I didn't see the hodograph signature when target was detected,,,but I did see the hodograph reading when target was in plug. See that little curly cue thingy on meter,,,when I saw that,,I knew the target was not iron.
This is what I saw yesterday on a lot of targets.

Also worth mentioning,,when alerted to tone you see hodograph with no signature info,,yet you get tone,,,and the tone may not be ideal,,,this is a good sign of Deeper nonferous find.

Could a person dig a deep nail??
Possibly,,but so far I haven't dug many at all,,extremely few.

Iron it seems will rip the hodograph with signature.

This one site,,,has nails at various depths,,surface to likely at least a foot deep.
How do I know this??
Guess

This site is where I learned to detect,,,so some of these deep nails did get dug.
And even today,,running Xp Deus,,,it is not out of the question for me to dig a deep nail here every once in a while,,,and this so knowing the Deus well,,I think.

This in why I go here with a new detector to me,,,,this site will sniff out a detector's weakness(Es) IMO as far as performance in and around iron.

I pushed Rutus yesterday,,for my time on unit.
I liked what I saw.

More Rutus data.

Went back to site I was at yesterday.

My goal to find a suspect target and play with mask setting.

Didn't locate one single target in roughly 2 hours time.
Used 11" dd coil.

Let's talk emi or noise from this detector.

So far in running in while detecting,,,I have heard no negative affects in the audio or tone transition that I would attribute to EMI.
But while in the site today,,I held coil up in the air.
Just listening it sounded like a mini Deus,,,,Deus users here will know what I'm referring to.
But lower coil to like 12" or closer to ground,,dead quiet.
I tried a lot of different freqs both higher and lower,,,all seemed to behave the same way here.

On my way home I purposely stopped in this one place,,,this place only one of 2 places I have ever had a Etrac or CTX get noisy emi wise.
I tried the Rutus here,,,same behavior as noted above.

Toward the end of my excursion today in this site I tried to make a find,,,I buried a clad dime,,Garrett propointer length deep,,9.125".
Now we have had hot weather the last couple days,,so ground conditions here drier than when I tested here a few days ago.

How did the dime sound with Rutus??
Nothing I would have dug.
I could see no improvement at all even by changing freqs.
One note here,,,and I saw this the last time,,,a lower mask setting like 0-2 helps with some audio trying to sneak through,,,mask level 6,,elzippo signal.

I tried every conceivable settings change.
Again I though 17khz through max give about as good as I could get.
Reactivity level 1 here.

So,,whipped out Deus with 11" coil,,,I could get a diggable signal using.
Reactvity levels 1 and 2 mandatory,,8khz, 12khz, even 18khz provided diggable signals.
4khz Inrate here as a fail,,,I honestly believe with Xp having it tied to Tx power level 3,, it just washes out signals here in my soil.

External speakers used on both detectors.
Gain settings of 50 and 60 used on Rutus,,an audio report level 7 used on Deus.
Listened to level 5 on Deus,,signal was there and IMO wearing headsets a person would hear at this level.

Just one test on one freshly buried clad dime.
I tried to keep plug intact too.
Not exactly scientific,,but this test leads me to at least say Deus is deeper at least on tilled/disturbed soil.
Would like to do more test to be certain.

This signal Deus provided was not strong by no means,,but audible with clear dig me sound to it.

More Rutus test.

How about hunting recently dropped gold rings,,say where many folks have gathered??

Using Rutus I checked using small thin 10k ring,,and some foil,,even foil balled up a bit.

I think I found my best setup here.

Using 5khz,,,Rutus don't like foil,,even foil balled up,,foil from cigarette packs it hits but is very dodgy.
The small 10k ring,,Rutus more energetic on,,,big difference.

Now when both are detected,,ball of foil I tried vs the ring,,,,they read same TID-42/43. Btw I had sensitivity to level 80 here,,lower sens likely provides better results say in the neighborhood of 60.
But the ring is very standoutish tone sounding wise.

If I go to higher freq like 17 or 18khz,,,then this difference is slim to none.

Actually the foil signal improves moreso than the ring does. (But ring's air test distance does increase)

Also,,folks using Rutus seeking deeper nickels,,,freq 12-18.4 kHz your best bets here.

Running at 8khz,,,deep undisturbed nickel signal is dodgy sounding.

Just thought I would share.
With the varied freq capabilities,,some nice strategies can be employed with this detector,,especially with the ability to normalize all tid readings to 6khz.

And with this setup,,you can still hunt coins,,especially higher conductive.
And obviously a person is still on the hook with digging pull tabs looking for gold rings.

Balanced Rutus over fridge magnet.

Reading in screen when complete,,,-88.6.

So ferrite likely would yield a -90 reading.

Btw in the areas I used Rutus this far,,after ground balance I've seen somewhere
between -85.4 thru -82.0 in the window.
Medium minerlized ground btw.

More Rutus info.

Tone break setting coming out of iron region.

Rutus iron range is 0-30,, and I think beginners of Rutus should stay with this 30 number or slightly higher here for setting tone break.

But as a Rutus user grows with their unit,,when hunting sites loaded with nails and iron,,,I find a tone break setting of 23/24 may be helpful in sniffing out the heavier masked targets.

Could a person go lower here with the tone break setting??
Yes,,IMO a person could,,but it would be helpful if the site contained mostly
smaller nails.

As I keep hunting,,and testing I may be able to comment on this in the future.

Running this lower tone break setting does give a tad more rink in the tone.

Rutus will find real small things even using 11" dd coil.
Based on my hunts and testing,,,Rutus is better at alerting user to smaller nonferrous than Deus version 3.2, especially irregular shaped nonferrous.
I am not quite ready to rate as far as Deus V4 goes.

Remember Rutus can be run at a slightly higher frequency than Deus,,and this may be a factor here.

To clarify the whys I think the Rutus trumps Deus in sites like this.

Rutus IDs deeper more accurately on average.
Rutus allows for normalization to 6khz (key setting btw) and still use any frequency on Rutus,,even the higher freqs,,,higher freqs tend to help with separation,,especially in a site with mixed modern trash and nails.
The 6khz normalization here keeps the spread of higher conductors and junk wider.
And keeps the spread of nickels and tabs and junk aluminum wider on average.
Rutus recovery speed is fantastic,,very Deus like.

Tones on Rutus can be set by individual TID numbers,,or blocks,,as a user sees fit.
Deus here you are having to use like 4 tones or 5 tones with blocks only selected.

Rutus GB is very forgiving too on medium and milder minerlized ground.

If I Could talk to the Rutus folks and give a recommendation,,,it would be allow a zero setting for any and all TID number spots.
The way it is,,a user can only select lower sounding tone for the undesirable TID producing targets.

The site today,,I had never been in this portion,,,I know some who have and know what detectors and coils they run.

So I got a very good idea on how the Rutus was humming in this site.

A couple tidbits as far as recognizing targets using tone,,numbers in screen and hodograph.

If tone is clear as one walks around target,,hodograph behavior as far as what it is telling a person more believable.
It tone isn't consistent as one pivots around target yet hodograph shows a no dig decision,,,watch out,don't put as much stock in here.

Aluminum twist caps,,,the hodograph will point these out with signature getting worse as you pivot around target--- you will get a zincoln id or real close.

Bottle caps,,,on real shallow raise coil about 3" or so,,watch hodograph paint the backwards C or a partial backwards Letter C.
Tone will be wishy washy as you switch directions when sweeping over caps.
Generally you will see higher TID readings like 102-105 in the window.
If on a real shallow cap,,you sweep,,hodograph likely will paint a correct to more correct signature like a silver or clad dime will provide.

I went to another site,,old house site,,even in reactive level 4 running 18.4khz, Rutus alerted on a Garrett pinpointer deep target made of copper and beleive it or it gave correct ID( airtest was done btw after recovery).

On deeper targets (a person will start to recognize by the tone here,,,watch out for the hodograph data,,put less and less stock into it.
The 9" deep target,,,hodograph signature reflected moreso iron,,but the tone was just too repetitive,,even when pivoting.
This ground in this site is pretty high in minerals too,,,a high 4 bars on a F75 detector.

Rutus needs some dealers in the USA.
I can understand why the folks across the pond like this detector.
It is also smoking hot (for coil size) on smaller items,,both airtest and undisturbed in the ground.
Based on my use,,I can see it doing extremely well on hammered coins.

Detector will run to the high side on deeper targets ( reactive setting can affect),,,but not as bad as Deus here.

Last edited:

samorano

Apr 20, 2009
MEXICO
Detector(s) used
MALA GPR,GP 3000,TEJON,Deus,rutus 71,vista smart,ctx 3030.
This is an incredible post thanks for taking the time and effort Tnss, I only went out one time with my Rutus and found a very rare coin, my friend was surprise he had gone through the same spot with his At pro he is really good with it.I haven't use it again, I been very busy at work lately but I really have a desire to master this detectors will need help latter on Tnss.Thanks

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an incredible post thanks for taking the time and effort Tnss, I only went out one time with my Rutus and found a very rare coin, my friend was surprise he had gone through the same spot with his At pro he is really good with it.I haven't use it again, I been very busy at work lately but I really have a desire to master this detectors will need help latter on Tnss.Thanks

You are welcome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread