Discovery Electronics "Treasure Baron GOLD TRAX"

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And a great good morning to T-Net. Here we go. For years now I've had the Gold Trax hanging on the wall in my "Fort" with other detectors. When I bought this back in the day, I had only been detecting a few years perhaps, at the time, 1995 I think, it was kind of a "Top of the line" detector, about $750.00. It was also somewhat over my head at the time to learn as well. Still have it, still looks new, now I'd like to play around with it just for the heck of it. But you know, reading the manual again, still at a loss somewhat. Example; it has 8 adjustable ground tracking speeds, 8 adjustable pinpoint mode gain settings, 256 threshold level adjustments, 16 different auto tuning speeds, and something called "Slew?". List goes on. Factory preset, say for ground tracking speeds, is the slowest in the fastest setting?, and have NO idea why to try changing from one to another, there is no explanation as to why. Not even going to ask about the 16 different auto tuning speeds etc. etc. etc. My plan is to just go with the factory pre-set and try a little coin shooting in a park I've been to a bazillion times before, and lean a little something with it, again just for fun. Now, has ANYONE out there owned or have had any time with the Gold Trax, any tips? any insights? any anything? It's a long shot, we're talking a detector of 20+ years ago, but somehow I think I might have a "undiscovered diamond" of a detector on hand, only problem it has had is the owner, "Me". I think it operates at 12Khz, which sounds pretty good to me. Any thoughts would be welcome, and again, the booklet explains the features and how to get to them, but not why or when you would and for what purpose. This thing is built like a tank, but so well balanced, and of course pretty with the gold color control box. Not much of anything on the internet about them, other then the original review of them. So, that's about it.

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Discovery Treasure Baron with Gold Trax.......but recently sold it to a guy here on these forums. The company Discovery Electronics has gone out of business so you can't find any new coils for this machine. This was a George Payne unit.....or his great engineering talent behind it......his last machine before he left the detecting scene. Was good in it's day. If I was still using it I would hip mount it.....because the weight is very heavy after an hour in the field. I'm glad I sold it because soon First Texas will have it's new machines on the market which if I understand correctly has George Payne's old patents behind it.

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still use my Treasure Barons regularly, although they have the Cointrax module instead. Outstanding machines even by today's standard. Not just in depth but in target separation and unmasking ability as well. They're intimidating at first but keep swinging it and the adjustments become second nature.
Here's an archived copy of the Goldtrax manual.
https://web.archive.org/web/20101226144448/http://jb-ms.com/Baron/Goldtrax/goldtrax.htm
Goldtrax tips:
https://web.archive.org/web/20101226143738/http://jb-ms.com/Baron/tips.htm

This and more are at an archive of the late great JB's Baron site:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130915150110/http://jb-ms.com/Baron/

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, slew is ground balance offset. It's to modify the AGT more positive or negative to your liking, usually negative as the AGT tends to track a bit positive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dgerst, Thank you for the great response, and the articles had MUCH great information in them, clarified a few things for me. I think the "Gold Trax" was way ahead of it's time, and with the right operator, could in fact go nose to nose with a couple of todays top-of-the-line detectors, except perhaps in depth, or, perhaps not. When I bought it in the 90's I think, it was a spendy machine, and somewhat over my head, or perhaps a lot over my head. The fella's who really enjoy a machine with a lot of "Tech" to it, and like the "Tweaking" of controls, would find it to be a great detector still. Nothing stopping me putting batteries back in it, and taking it back out for a spin. I did try it for nugget shooting one time in Arizona, and the iron sound and red light was spot on for any boot tack and small piece of wire it went over. It is I think a "Diamond in the ruff" for me. Thank you again for the information. The one I have is hanging on the wall, still look's like it just came out of the box.

Last edited:

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, I'd make you an offer on it if I hadn't just picked up another Cointrax with 6x9 and 10" coils. I've only run that 6x9 for a few minutes and in can already tell it's gonna be a blast. It screamed at a bullet surrounded by iron in a spot that has been hit hard by myself and others. Give that Goldtrax another chance. You might be impressed. If not shoot me a message. Maybe we can work out a trade.

Az Digger

Nov 20, 2016
Prescott Valley AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II Equinox 800, Mojave, compadre,bandido II, Diablo II, Garrett pro pin pointer, Grave digger shovel,Predator tools Phoenix, Gold trax, pro hunter,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for a cointrax

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you looking for a Cointrax module or a whole machine?

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, I'd make you an offer on it if I hadn't just picked up another Cointrax with 6x9 and 10" coils. I've only run that 6x9 for a few minutes and in can already tell it's gonna be a blast. It screamed at a bullet surrounded by iron in a spot that has been hit hard by myself and others. Give that Goldtrax another chance. You might be impressed. If not shoot me a message. Maybe we can work out a trade.

I'd forgotten all about this post dgerst, thank's for the reminder. No, I'd never sell it, but I am going to take that puppy out again just for the heck of it, sure, it has no VDI #'s etc, no screen at all, but it IS a sensitive detector, and balanced so well....I think it's one of those oldies but " great " detector's. I'll read the booklet again, start with the "turn on and go" sort of thing, and mess around with it from there.

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have some fun with it. I doubt you'll feel like it's not enough machine. I took my old Cointrax on a relic hunt with a friend recently. It saw everything his Deus did and a few that his didn't. I'm pretty sure it was mainly due to my concentric coil being able to isolate targets it the iron a bit better.

Az Digger

Nov 20, 2016
Prescott Valley AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II Equinox 800, Mojave, compadre,bandido II, Diablo II, Garrett pro pin pointer, Grave digger shovel,Predator tools Phoenix, Gold trax, pro hunter,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whole machine would be nice, module would work. Got the gold trax

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And a great good morning to T-Net. Here we go. For years now I've had the Gold Trax hanging on the wall in my "Fort" with other detectors. When I bought this back in the day, I had only been detecting a few years perhaps, at the time, 1995 I think, it was kind of a "Top of the line" detector, about $750.00. It was also somewhat over my head at the time to learn as well. Still have it, still looks new, now I'd like to play around with it just for the heck of it. But you know, reading the manual again, still at a loss somewhat. Example; it has 8 adjustable ground tracking speeds, 8 adjustable pinpoint mode gain settings, 256 threshold level adjustments, 16 different auto tuning speeds, and something called "Slew?". List goes on. Factory preset, say for ground tracking speeds, is the slowest in the fastest setting?, and have NO idea why to try changing from one to another, there is no explanation as to why. Not even going to ask about the 16 different auto tuning speeds etc. etc. etc. My plan is to just go with the factory pre-set and try a little coin shooting in a park I've been to a bazillion times before, and lean a little something with it, again just for fun. Now, has ANYONE out there owned or have had any time with the Gold Trax, any tips? any insights? any anything? It's a long shot, we're talking a detector of 20+ years ago, but somehow I think I might have a "undiscovered diamond" of a detector on hand, only problem it has had is the owner, "Me". I think it operates at 12Khz, which sounds pretty good to me. Any thoughts would be welcome, and again, the booklet explains the features and how to get to them, but not why or when you would and for what purpose. This thing is built like a tank, but so well balanced, and of course pretty with the gold color control box. Not much of anything on the internet about them, other then the original review of them. So, that's about it.

This would be about the best PM reply to "Arthur-Canada" that I can really give, because I am really of no help with infro. on the Gold Trax. I still think it was way ahead of it's time, and here I am again thinking, Hmmmm….lets load up the batterys and do a factory preset and give it a spin again. Any thoughts for Arthur fella's? This is a machine I wish Calabash had on hand to try out, I think that fella has forgotten more about detectors than I've learned in 30 yrs.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread