Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
barber said:
I'm thinking of buying one of the better Compass detectors, but I never see any posts about them, good or bad. Doesn't anyone use them ? Anyone know how they compare to Minelab, the Quattro in particular?

Well this post will smoke out Willy, that's for sure. I think he sleeps with a Compass (old model).

Never owned a Compass for the very reason you stated...nobody talks (or writes) about them.

Back in the 80's I came very close many times to getting one but Fisher or Whites won out.

Hope you get lots of answers.

Willy

Yup, I'm here, just a snortin' and a fartin' and rarin to go.. I do have an X-100 and if you can find one on the classifieds, get it. The Newer Compasses are decent detectors (bad rod setup though) and excel in iron trash. The company seems to be semi-belly up. It would be nice to see them bought out by somebody with cash and marketing skills. Back to the X-100; if they were to re-introduce it with a more compact design and updated electronics, it could take on the top of the line VLF's being made today. If you look up the LT field test and specs, you will see that few detectors made tody can match it's specs. I've run it up against other high end detectors and, if it wasn't better, it matched them. Now, after talking it up, I should go post it on the classifieds at an outrageously high price: could I be that cynical and duplicitous? Yah, but we're not talking getting some blond (brunette, redhead, I'm not choosy) female action here. Guess I outta keep it. ...Willy.

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
I have a Goldscanner Pro from the late 80's that I like a lot. It's not as deep as my Tesoro Tejon, but it has a very accurate Target ID needle and it's great at ignoring iron trash. It's definitely a keeper. I thought they were out of business.

olegoat

Oct 18, 2007
southeast tn
Detector(s) used
fisher 1220x,gc-1023,tesoro tejon , fisher f-2, compass yukon 77b, tesoro bandito 11 umax
i have an old (30 years or more) compass, model 77b professional, it still works great, just a little heavy uses 12 aa batteries but it found me a lot of stuff when i was in az. i wont give it up, i put a new handle (s) on it to make it a little easier to swing i plan to use it in a civil war area, need to dig all beeps and it will beep, this dosent help with your question about the new ones, i just thought that you should know compass is or was a great machine

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Willy..........I don't think any one sell's Compass detectors or repairs them do they i can't find them on the net.................................. I see there ad in WESTERN EASTERN but when i go in the site nothing some but i see some one looking for parts for them...............==Jim==

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
I have several compass detectors the 77b is a non-motion machine thats great in heavy iron. The goldscanner pro or the coinscanner pro are both competitive with today's machines. Keith Wills repairs them and has manuals. Dan

Willy

There's also a Compass Yahoo Group. One of the things I like about the X-100 is that I can switch between 2 filter, 4 filter, or non-motion TR modes. I also added a 20 turn GB in place of the 1 turn, so it can be much more precisely GB'ed. That and the modified S-rod setup I now have make it into a killer machine. I also posted photos of it on the Compass group. As an aside, I picked it up last Chrismas for, I believe, about $130. Not bad, eh? ..Willy.

OP
OP
B

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
Compass Metal Detectors, P.O. Box 543 ,357Stringtown Rd ,Forest Grove, OR 97116 pH, 5032572111 Fax 1 888 257 5974 as advertised in W&E Treasures

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, It's been a long time since I have posted. Just looked at the forum today,(1st time in 6 months) and seen your statement.........I own 6 detectors that pretty much all get close to the same depth,,some are easier to use than others..I own a late 70's x-100 challanger by(Compass)that weights in about 5#....its a good detector but too heavy for my tastes.....I own an 80's (Compass)Goldscanner w-8 &12 coils, in excellent condition (with the original box).....It is much easier to use and I think a better detector....I also have a 80's (Compass)Coinscanner Pro thats one of my favorites,,,Also I occasionaly use a tesoro Tejon,a Troy X-3, and an Xterra 70.I havent detected but a handfull of times this year.. I have taken out only 2 of the 6 detectors I own.
I used the Xterra 70,and my old standby Coinscanner Pro.....I have heard diehard compass users swear by the 80's Compass Goldscanner Pro... or the RelicMaster? which is a 90's Goldscanner.....Out of the ones I have,,,,,I swear by the 1 & 3 tone Coinscanner Pro.
I get the same depth as with the Goldscanner {one tone},but my arms are not strong enough to give a fair comparison to the {multi-tone} 5 pound 1970's (Compass) X-100 Challanger.
Check out Ebay and program an Ebay search to let you know (by email) when one is up for auction......
If you can judge the Compass performance by thier Ebay prices...........Alot of other people think its a great detector as well.
Late March or early April 2008,I will thin my herd.I will keep my Xterra 70,and Troy X-3,,,,gifts from the wife,,,,,and kids,,,and I will keep the CoinScanner Pro (Gift to myself...LOL) I will most likely sell the Tejon, the (Compass)...GoldScanner Pro with original purchase receipt,and Box,and the (Compass x-100 challanger......with charger and instruction manual).
But Not till Cabin fever starts to bite next spring.............Good luck to you

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again, After wrighting the post above...I just did a little research and dug up the address
to the Compass owners forum.and found some other posts from Compass detector owners.....Hope this helps.
http://www.findmall.com/list.php?56
You can also research the archives in a Compass Detector Owner forum below,,to answer more specific questions by some that are
more knowledgable than I....Be aware that every Detector brand ,has followers of a specific model ,,that are LOL,,,Prejudice against
all others....Good luck in research within the link below..
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/compass_owners/

Willy

The thing to do with the X-100 is turn it into a 'White's' detector by mounting the control box under the cuff. The original 'wristbreaker' design sux, but with the control box under-arm, it's sooo much nicer. I also peeled off a bunch of the coating on the circuit boards and removed the speaker. What I was also contemplating was having a remote battery pack (like a Minelab PI) that plugged into the charging port. That would remove 1 lb right there. Like I said, check out the pix on the Compass group. As an aside, when you decide to sell your X-100, how 'bout firing me a PM? ..Willy.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
barber said:
Compass Metal Detectors, P.O. Box 543 ,357Stringtown Rd ,Forest Grove, OR 97116 pH, 5032572111 Fax 1 888 257 5974 as advertised in W&E Treasures
................Yes i saw that in.......W.E...... but if you go into the web site they have there you can not find a thing about Compass...Some one there is looking for parts for a compass..............==Jim==

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Willy,

Do you have any experience with the X - 80? If so, I would be interested. A customer of mine has one that he wants me to sell for him on my eBay store site. Joe

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
I'll always hold on to my compasses, I still have all the ones I've owned through the years. I got my first one in 1970 and You can see which ones I have in my list of MD. The last brand new MD I bought was a Teknetics 8000, (some time in the late 70s or early 80s). I still use that one as my main MD, with the compasses as my back ups. HH

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Contact Keith Wills @ East Texas Metal Detectors.

He gets them now and then and recently sold a very nice Compass au 2000 in prime (almost new) condition for $350, a darn good price since it is one of the very best gold nugget detectors ever made.

I have an RM7 and it is my my best discriminator after my modifications to the GB and Disc pot and circuitry. Keith might have an RM6 or 7 or know where to get one. He modifies and repairs many different types and brands of metal detectors.

Compasses, Fishers and Tesoros break down less than any other brand of detector, now, and even back in the 80's when I used to repair them all. Compasses are toughly built but the meters are a bit fragile, as are White's analog ones. Don't drop either one of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions