orion rocket

r.r.warren

Greenie
Oct 19, 2007
orlando,fl
Detector(s) used
ace 250, legacy 3300,o'rion stage 2
o'rion rocket

just been givin the Orion rocket stage 2 i read field test at lost treasure. i know it made by neuman of the neuman-wilson fame. air tested got 8" nickel seemed o.k for 1990 model iam wondering what frequency it is and does it have any coils besides the 8" stock coil and if anyones ever used it what u think of this detector thanks.

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
Re: o'rion rocket

I bought Rocket Stage 3 in the late 1980's. The manufacturer went bankrupt after about 18 months of operation. No extra coils. Around 1994 I took it out of storage. The loudspeaker had conked out, so I opened the control box to desolder the old one and replace. The circuit board was so cheap that the traces came off and stuck to my finger, when I touched the traces! I dumped the thing. No wonder Neuman went bankrupt! If you got it for free, you might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

OP
OP
R

r.r.warren

Greenie
Oct 19, 2007
orlando,fl
Detector(s) used

sorry to hear that. the one i was givin was also in a friends garage he can't even remember where he got it. it was dirty and dusty but cleaned up nice. everything works took it for a test run today. in all metal mode this thing's deep! that was a good surprise. i noticed it loses depth in disc mode. sounds off real well when it hits a signal. in pinpoint mode u can almost tell depth of target because the signal weakens. its a sweet little detector for the price........................later

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005

Neuman may have farmed out the circuit boards to more than one outfit in Taiwan, and I happened to get one of the inferior products. The detector certainly received excellent reviews when it first came out. No reason not to enjoy it!

OP
OP
R

r.r.warren

Greenie
Oct 19, 2007
orlando,fl
Detector(s) used

hello Dan, man i wish u hadn't tossed the coil. i was thinking about what u said about the stage 3 was it stored in a damp environment i had the same thing happen to some PC boards i had in storage at first i thought something was spilt on them but i believe it was just dampness but not 100% sure

OP
OP
R

r.r.warren

Greenie
Oct 19, 2007
orlando,fl
Detector(s) used

well when told me about the circuit board on the stage3 it got the best of me i took the stage 2 apart to see if it was deteriorating but its in good shape nothing seems wrong except the foam that was in the battery compartment it was dry rotted remove and replaced it. the coil is beat-up who ever had it never used a coil cover trying to find a replacement which will be near impossible. anyway thanks Dan for the heads-up......later

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread